I need a "casual" PSX emulator

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wamt to know a good PSX emulator for Windows. One where I don't have to screw around with installing and configuring a bunch of individual plugins, and having to switch them out for each individual game. It needs to be one that has a GUI and I can just set up my button config and load up an iso and go.

Right now I'm using mednafen, but honestly it's more trouble than it's worth. It runs great, but the lack of an interface makes getting everything just the way I want it into too much trial and error.

uyjulian

Homebrewer
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
I wamt to know a good PSX emulator for Windows. One where I don't have to screw around with installing and configuring a bunch of individual plugins, and having to switch them out for each individual game. It needs to be one that has a GUI and I can just set up my button config and load up an iso and go.

Right now I'm using mednafen, but honestly it's more trouble than it's worth. It runs great, but the lack of an interface makes getting everything just the way I want it into too much trial and error.
Retroarch

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I suppose if you don't want to use Mednafen/Retroarch (easily the best PS1 emu), then ePSXe or PCSX-R PGXP are probably your best choices (my personal recommendation would be PCSX-RPGXP). PCSX-R PGXP is best for 3D games (as it adds high precision 3D geometry data), and ePSXe is probably the most user friendly. Both rely on plugins, but generally speaking with ePSXe the default ones will work just fine for a majority of games, and once you setup PCSX-R PGXP the first time most games will also work just fine.

I would not go with PSX as Dep suggested, as it's extremely outdated (easily 10ish years now) and compatibility is meh.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I would not go with PSX as Dep suggested, as it's extremely outdated (easily 10ish years now) and compatibility is meh.
Yes, it's old but it always worked well enough for me. The only game that ever gave me trouble was BoF4 but I admit I haven't tried to run every single PSX game. I know it doesn't have all the fancy modern resolutions and filters/shaders but that's what you get for keeping it simple.

Still, it was only a suggestion.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @Psionic Roshambo time to get really into private trackers so you can make full use of it