id Software delays 'DOOM Eternal' and announces 'DOOM 64' for other platforms

doomed.PNG
Your quest to slay demons has to wait a little bit more. In a new tweet today, id Software announced that they are delaying DOOM Eternal to March 20, 2020, stating that the game needs to “live up to our standards of speed and polish” and that they are "confident that DOOM Eternal will deliver a gaming experience that is worth the wait".

The company also took the opportunity to make a few other announcements like the free Invasion Mode update allowing players to enter other player's game as a playable demon and also that the Switch release date for DOOM Eternal will be after March 20.

Additionally, they also announced that the classic title DOOM 64 will launch not only on the Nintendo Switch but also on Xbox One, PS4 and PC and will come as a free pre-order bonus for DOOM Eternal.

:arrow:SOURCE

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nice, a delayed game is always a good game by the way...
:rofl2: That's the funniest shit I've read all morning! And I've already been on Facebook!
Unless you were being sarcastic and I'm that tired it blew over my head....

Anyway, Doom delay: fair enough. But an odd choice to be releasing on that day, that's one hell of a busy couple of weeks already, do they really want to be competing with FFVII, Last of Us 2 etc??

Most of the flak Doom 64 got on release was the decision not to include 3D looking despite the engine being able to do so. But that was neither what Doom was at that time in the first place, and would probably have been more hellish to use on the N64 pad than the game's setting anyway!

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
So, erm... I take it doom 64 wasn't just a port of doom to the n64? :unsure:
(I always thought it was, but that would make the pc port of doom 64 mostly a re-release)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So, erm... I take it doom 64 wasn't just a port of doom to the n64? :unsure:
(I always thought it was, but that would make the pc port of doom 64 mostly a re-release)
No it actually changed up quite a bit (new levels, various new weapons) and added various features
https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Doom_64
https://doom.fandom.com/wiki/Doom_64
Story wise, if you care, it is actually a sequel to total doom.

It was fan ported after a fashion to PCs
https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Doom_64_EX

For my money very much of its time but if you like Doom it is worth a look as you could really get along with it.

Reactions: Taleweaver

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
> offline game with splitscreen multiplayer
> Todd Howard is a smug asshole
> Forced bnet login like doom on switch
> forced always online for some arbitrary ass reason
> gets the emulation wrong, again, because Todd hasn't finished a goddamn game since the 1980s

And i say this knowing full well that on the other end of the spectrum, Randy Bitchford wants to keep the duke nukem franchise hostage and refuses to let anyone else have a crack at it, while simultaneously proving that Gearbox only knows how to make Borderlands and nothing else. :sad::cry:
It's really sad, too. World Tour could and should have been a good re-release, but Pitchford is in it for the quick buck. The UT remake of 3D being shutdown... The collection on Android being killed. That guy is cynical beyond all reason.

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
It's really sad, too. World Tour could and should have been a good re-release, but Pitchford is in it for the quick buck. The UT remake of 3D being shutdown... The collection on Android being killed. That guy is cynical beyond all reason.
And he's probably the only reason the 2001 build of Duke Nukem Forever hasn't been released. So many of us just want to play it, regardless of how incomplete it is.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm mostly looking forward to No More Heroes 3. I'll for sure buy the Switch for that.

But that said, can't stand half-assed releases. it's one big reason that I have such a hate boner for bethesda, because (a) that seems to be all they do, and (b) the amount of fanboys ignoring all these defects and glitches and still giving them money for it.

Dax_Fame

Annoying Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm absolutely fine with this. If it means the game comes out as polished and optimized as possible, it's worth the wait.
ALSO FREE DOOM 64!! AWWW YEEEAAAHHH!

My thoughts EXACTLY! and this is absolutely the right way to handle this.

I only have a problem with this when games are delayed with little or no explanation, as that usually indicates a lack of priority/passion and those games are sometimes canceled or come out half-baked.

BlackOmegaTM

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
There is a 100% perfect fully playable homebrew version of doom64 for the just about every platform out there that can run gzdoom zdoom pbrdoom chocolatedoom or just about any doom engine port you can find. Including pc (obviously) the switch, phones, xboxes (all of them), playstations, etc.

Bethesda probably decided to launch doom64 after seeing this port running perfectly on those source port engines. It's a great geme I have yet to finish as it sits squarely beteween doom II and doom 3.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1