Idle chatter in games: annoying or immersive?

gbatemp_banner_idle_chatter_in_games_a.jpg

There are many methods that developers use in order to create a video game that feels immersive; a cohesive art style, thematic soundtrack, and ability to interact with and impact the characters and places within the world all help an experience pull the player in, giving them the feeling that they’ve settled into the role of, and have become the character that they’re controlling.

One of those techniques that seems to have proliferated with the popularity of open-world games is the addition of “idle chatter”, or passive background dialogue. You’ve likely heard these kinds of lines hundreds of times, when you’ve walked around in a town and heard villagers comment on the latest mundane fact about their lives, or when an ally decides to give their opinion about the enemy that you’re fighting, or talk about how low your health currently is. It’s a fantastic way to lend some world-building to a game’s setting, but it’s also something that might drive players to madness.

For example, anyone who has ever played Fallout: New Vegas will likely cringe when they recall this familiar line of, “patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter”. In theory, it’s just a simple throwaway line that’s spoken by NCR troops throughout the Mojave Wasteland, bored whilst endlessly walking back and forth. Yet, the line was recorded by multiple voice actors, and given how the NCR is a major faction within New Vegas--a 30+ hour RPG--you will see hundreds of those troops, and you will hear that line, many, many, many times throughout your adventure. Having a phrase repeated ad-nauseum like that pulls you right out of the experience, either by making you roll your eyes at how ridiculously few lines the developers decided to give the randomly-generated inhabitants of the world, or by making you want to actively avoid those characters, just so you don’t have hear them say it for the trillionth time.

ave.png

On the other hand, this kind of background noise can be well done, such as in Assassin’s Creed II. Ubisoft gives you, the player, tons of methods to interact and mess with the world. The cities of Italy are bustling with activity, whether it’s merchants on their way to stock their stores, citizens going about their daily lives, or mercenary groups on the side of the road hoping to be hired, there’s always a lot going on. Walking in a short line will usually result in at least a handful of lines, depending on where you are and what you’re doing. Should you decide to wall-run in the middle of a crowded walkway, the onlookers are going to think you’re absolutely insane, muttering, “He must be drunk or something!” or “What is this man thinking?!”, because obviously, most people don’t think that scrambling up the side of a villa and leaping from rooftop to rooftop is the best way to get around. Not only are these NPC’s commenting on something happening on screen, but it’s also focused on you, the player. It feels real, and it makes you consider how you’re interacting as Ezio, not as a gamer holding up on a controller.

Open-world games aren’t the only ones to make use of this method, either. In Persona 5, you play the role of a student wrongfully accused of a crime. Having been expelled from his previous school, the main character has been transferred to Shujin Academy, where his reputation as a delinquent quickly becomes the latest hot topic. The game makes it no secret that people are wary of you, whether it’s your reluctant teacher, upset at having to deal with a problem child in her class, or the students who are worried about this new scary transfer student.

p5.png

Persona 5 could easily just throw you into forced conversations over and over, to get the point across that no one likes you-- and to an extent, it does. After all, the game is no stranger to having long, dialogue-heavy stretches, but where it handles this topic best is when you wander around the school and see little word bubbles pop up as you walk by your classmates. They range from startled gasps, to pairs of schoolgirls eagerly gossiping about the other rumors they’ve heard about you. It perfectly nails the awkward new-student feeling of being ostracized and judged by your peers, all without having to slow the player down.

So, with these examples in mind, what is your favorite use of background chatter in video games? Do you find that it helps in terms of lore and world-building, or is it something that doesn’t tend to help a game, and only serves to annoy you as a player trying to immerse yourself?

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
I'm thinking it needs to strike a balance. If there's idle chatter there has to be enough variety of phrases to keep things immersive.

Like you said, hearing the same phrase over and over can be nauseating and can actually take away from the immersion.

Yes, Donald Duck, I understand that this might be a good spot to find some ingredients.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As soneone who predominantly plays with the sound turned off and subtitles on I really don't have an opinion lol.

For me I am normally playing a game in portable mode on the Switch at the same time as I have a TV show on the TV and sometimes I'm doing both of them at the same time as talking to someone on the phone. The show on the TV provides all the background chatter I need :rofl2:

yoofo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if it drags on for too long, yes it sucks. I was playing Titanfall 2 and one audio log went on for 5 minutes while I was just sitting there. Short quips here and there or short snippets of conversations can help immersion. For example: Yakuza. The Yakuza series has a bunch of little snippets of dialogue when walking through Kamurocho and it's a nice touch, but if it forces you to listen to it for a while it can get annoying.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I haven't played any of the games mentioned in the OP, but it made me think of TLOU/Uncharted games where a lot of the story/exposition is conversations between your character and whoever is accompanying them, that occur while you're playing rather than stopping the action for some dialogue. If that falls under the thread's subject then yeah I think it's great, but maybe that's not the "idle" stuff you had in mind.

SonyUSA

We're all mad here
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember playing Max Payne on the PC and just waiting around every bend or outside every room just listening to the enemies chatting with eachother... I thought it was so funny. :D

Long forced narrative is not fun, however!

Reactions: Chary

Brayton1-7

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
about.me
XP
Country
United States
I remember all of the chats the cats in the Nyazuka Metro say in the background. "Do you ever get the feeling someone's listening in on your conversations?" Oh, I stopped to listen to them every time!

Reactions: TSP184

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It really depends on the game, the quality of the voice acting, and whether they re-use the same voice clip or not. For fighting games, I don't mind the latter. The games are always made on a budget unless your game is Injustice, MK, or Smash, and the sound design of these games usually drowns out the voices of Ryu/Ken/Akuma/Dan/Gouken/Evil Ryu/Kage/Oni/Sea-oh, wait, he only gets a Hadouken as a super...throwing Hadoukens to bait you into a Shoryuken.

Now, RPGs on the other hand? If there's no dialogue between characters while in the middle of the fight, especially in Japanese, it's fine. If there is, and this is a game where every character has to shout what move they're doing? In Japanese, I find it to be more bearable than in English for some reason.

I mean, I never understood why characters need to call out what they're doing in the first place. I mean, in JJBA part 3, does Jotaro need to yell "PLATINUM RUSHO!" every time this happens in the anime?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

if it drags on for too long, yes it sucks. I was playing Titanfall 2 and one audio log went on for 5 minutes while I was just sitting there. Short quips here and there or short snippets of conversations can help immersion. For example: Yakuza. The Yakuza series has a bunch of little snippets of dialogue when walking through Kamurocho and it's a nice touch, but if it forces you to listen to it for a while it can get annoying.

And then you get dragged into a substory to save what you think is a kid being kidnapped...when it was a dog that was kidnapped!

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Most of the time when I'm playing a game the sound is off anyways, so I don't really care one way or the other TBH.

But those few times I do, as noted it really depends on the game. Some do it well, others not so much. I'm not a fan of hearing the same 10-15 sentences uttered by every unimportant NPC in big huge open world games, but some games do it quite well. I don't remember which Star Wars game it was, might have been Jedi academy, but one of them has nice idle chatter where NPCs tend to complain about their jobs that references the environment they're in, and maybe mention some event that happened that you can go check out if you were listening, stuff like that is good.

I also like the grunt chatter from Halo, always fun to hear the little squeaky grunt dialogues before you go on a rampage and kill them all.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    i think you would be a great trip guider
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh, I'd wonder off somewhere probably
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My wifey made some Sun tea yesterday, and cut up some peaches in let sit in there w the teabags, shit is Da bomb. Bout to try it with some peach vodka..
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa sounds wish we could see Randy on south park do that , drinking the peach vodka
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, im more of a casual south park fan, i dont watch it that often
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its gluten free
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    lol it's too offensive
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh not that good, not many alcohols taste good in tea. At least I haven't found any.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I tried that peach alcohol in cans tasted like crap
  • F @ foresthag:
    You could fermen(tea). That'd taste excellent. Or make you go blind, who is to say?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Twisted tea iirc
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Only one I liked was that mikes hard lemonade tea, but i couldn't drink it all day
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, gonna make a jumping sprite
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You can add platform character behavior to any sprite, just disable the default controls for it, and make it jump/move in your code. The rectangle behavior is cool too for enemies.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, how is it cool?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, and i meant jumping sprite for the player
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It makes it move around constantly in different directions, like a enemy moving back n forth from one side to other
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, and i dont think the rectangular movement behavior works for platform games
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea it does. And you can add platform character behavior to your own charcter, and it will have move and jump already setup for you, space bar is jump, arrows move
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i already added the platform character behaviour to the player since i started doing this
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, and already set up animations for when he shoots both standing and walking
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @Xdqwerty you could
    add alcohol to the game too
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, one of the curative items has the internal name of "beer"
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    although it looks like a coke can
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @Xdqwerty what is the game based on
    S @ salazarcosplay: @Xdqwerty what is the game based on