If only one is possible, 60 FPS or 1080p?

Framerate or Resolution

• FPS

Votes: 58 76.3%
  • Resolution

Votes: 18 23.7%

• Total voters

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
1080p is just another resolution, which the commonality changes over time. 60+fps will always be golden. And lots of games look amazing sub 1080, especially with 60+fps.
Actually 120Hz screens already exist and some people swear by it + 120FPS.
As for me, I always run games on my native resolution, even if it means dealing with 20FPS, now that I think about it. Then again my laptop res is only 1366x768 anyway, and it also depends on the game. I'm usually happy to set everything (textures, effects, shaders etc) to the lowest possible setting if that means I'll get a better framerate, but always on 1366x768.

Oswarlan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As for me, I always run games on my native resolution, even if it means dealing with 20FPS, now that I think about it. Then again my laptop res is only 1366x768 anyway, and it also depends on the game. I'm usually happy to set everything (textures, effects, shaders etc) to the lowest possible setting if that means I'll get a better framerate, but always on 1366x768.

That is why I said 60+
I am aware of the benefits of 120hz, but they are not exactly common, and even fewer people have the hardware to support that in "intensive games" as OP mentioned.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
1080p over 60FPS any time of day and night. As much as I like fluidity of gameplay, I hate framerate dips and I'd much rather play a really high definition game at steady 30FPS than a lower resolution one with jumpy 60FPS which is incredibly apparent and annoying. I like a balance throughout. I used to be unphased by lower resolutions... and then I got a better TV. :P

120Hz is nothing - there are 600Hz TV's out there.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
1080p over 60FPS any time of day and night. As much as I like fluidity of gameplay, I hate framerate dips and I'd much rather play a really high definition game at steady 30FPS than a lower resolution one with jumpy 60FPS which is incredibly apparent and annoying. I like a balance throughout. I used to be unphased by lower resolutions... and then I got a better TV. :P

120Hz is nothing - there are 600Hz TV's out there.
I know higher exists, but not much people have a 600 or even 200 Hz monitor connected to their PC and run games at that framerate.
As for me, gerenally the 30 video frames per second are enough, but depending on the game 60 or more input frames per second are highly welcome (and in the case of a game like osu!, even that is not enough).

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I know higher exists, but not much people have a 600 or even 200 Hz monitor connected to their PC and run games at that framerate.
As for me, gerenally the 30 video frames per second are enough, but depending on the game 60 or more input frames per second are highly welcome (and in the case of a game like osu!, even that is not enough).
Oh yes, it's highly dependant on the genre. My statement was very general, certain games benefit more from 60FPS than from a higher resolution, for example racing games or fast-paced action games that require quick reaction time. If something moves across the screen really fast, the more frames the better. For everything else, a higher resolution is more welcome.

Gabbynaruto

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Considering I'm playing Dark Souls at 12 FPS, I learned FPS is better than pretty graphics if you actually want to parry. Plus, smooth FPS is awesome. FPS for me.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering I'm playing Dark Souls at 12 FPS, I learned FPS is better than pretty graphics if you actually want to parry. Plus, smooth FPS is awesome. FPS for me.
What internal resolution are you running the game at? I'm guessing you're playing on hardware a bit underwhelming, but if you're using DSfix, there are some settings you can mess with to try and give you better performance.

I think it's also technically possible to load off a bunch of the texture sizes thanks to DSfix--it can grab any texture that's loaded from the game files, and can also swap in any edited texture stored in the DSfix folder for such textures. What you can do is (just let the game dump all the textures possible, and then manually resize them/lower their filesize via whatever means possible, and have the game load these low-quality version textures instead. It should help out quite a bit if you want better frames :)

Reactions: Gabbynaruto

naxil

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
resolution is not important, effects and filter is the best way for have good graphic, and offcourse fps...
60fps is good (but today lot of games go to 30fps for hw limit (360,ps3 games)
I have select 720p on my xbox360 and iam not see any difference (instead 1080p)....
i remember my 3dfx with 800x600 and lot of fun!!!

reprep

Trophies
Website
melankolisavar.blogspot.com
XP
Country
i really don't see much difference between 720p and 1080p on my HDTV, so framerate is the way to go.

though if the frame rate is a locked 30 fps, i am fine with it too. but if it goes below 30 fps, i can't bear with it.

Gabbynaruto

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
What internal resolution are you running the game at? I'm guessing you're playing on hardware a bit underwhelming, but if you're using DSfix, there are some settings you can mess with to try and give you better performance.

I think it's also technically possible to load off a bunch of the texture sizes thanks to DSfix--it can grab any texture that's loaded from the game files, and can also swap in any edited texture stored in the DSfix folder for such textures. What you can do is (just let the game dump all the textures possible, and then manually resize them/lower their filesize via whatever means possible, and have the game load these low-quality version textures instead. It should help out quite a bit if you want better frames :)

Internal res is 1280x720, with DSFix borderless fullscreen and anything I can reduce from default reduced. With or without DSFix, I kinda play at the same speed on my ancient PC, so, eh. I guess I use DSFix cause I like the HD Estus, pretty much the only higher resolution texture I have. I will try your idea though, thanks!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yeah can't wait for that m&m album to launch during pride month it'll be fun