Gaming I'm beginning to think there will be 1 more DS console...

ToonGoomba

Sarcastic Super Star
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DS. DS Lite. DSi. DSi XL. 3DS. 3DS XL. 2DS. New 3DS. New 3DS XL. New 2DS XL. We've had these handhelds for YEARS and they have been a staple of our childhoods, from Nitro to Infrared. Now i've been thinking...what if Nintendo, for the next anniversary of the original DS, put out an announcement that they will be making 1 more DS. Not a 3DS, but a DS. One that can play DS games, 3DS games, New 3DS games, and maybe even GBA games. It could be called the DS Nitro, which is a throwback to the original DS codename. 2 circle pads, 720p screen, 3D, 4 back triggers, etc.

But of course this wont happen, I like to imagine things. What are your thoughts if Nintendo made another DS console?

ToonGoomba

Sarcastic Super Star
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would they when the 3DS already plays all of those things?
And "Not a 3DS, but a DS. One that can play DS games, 3DS games, New 3DS games, and maybe even GBA games"
Pretty sure that would be a 3DS.
I meant it like NOT have the number 3 in the name for simplicity. If u are buying a game, and you see "DS" anywhere on the cover, it can be played. And also have a GBA cartridge slot

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I meant it like NOT have the number 3 in the name for simplicity. If u are buying a game, and you see "DS" anywhere on the cover, it can be played. And also have a GBA cartridge slot
I think that would just cause confusion. It was already pretty well hammered into people that you need a 3DS to play 3DS games. Then they made the 2DS and they started having to say "can also be played on the Nintendo 2DS in 2D" all the time in ads. And then suddenly you can play 3DS games with a DS, but not all DSes, oh no, only this new DS we came out with that isn't really a DS but we're going to call it one anyway to confuse everyone further. And then people end up buying used DSes expecting them to play all of that and finding out they don't. Doesn't really make sense to me.

Kigiru

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Nah, your idea is not good.

But yeah, Nintendo need an ACTUAL replacement for 3DS because Switch is not one. Switch is directed to completely different group of players, has much higher price and its portability is somewhat questionable. Either Nintendo will release Switch-mini or another console.

There's need for low-priced actual handhelds for casuals and people that don't want to spend crapton of money on their console, Switch no matter how hyped can't fill this niche because it's directed to serious players, has higher price and calling it a handheld is a stretch.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
More likely that we would get something like a gameboy mini (akin to the nes mini and snes mini)

Even then I think that this is not very likely.

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country
im quite surprised its gone because the 3D tech in the new3DS was fantastic and far more refined.

I wouldn't be surprised if they revisited that technology at some point and I'd love for them to.......
3D Nintendo Switch.
I would buy it ASAP.

In regards to the DS line, I think they're in the process of transferring all their assets over to a HD eco-system. Therefore I struggle to find a way back if they aren't currently supporting the older age gaming. Third party studios especially will leave the production of 3DS-type games now.

Missing Number

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DSS Dual Screen Switch
All the power of the switch, all the titles of the 3/DS, capability of running Wii U titles that required the 2nd screen (tablet) 100% backward compatability with the entire nintendo catalogue

the cartridge slot accepts 3/DS and switch (idgaf how) carts so you can have physical copies, has up to 2tb internal, 2 micro sd slots for much much more storage, and the expanded eshop with all the titles, even obscure ones, back to the begining of NES/Famicom

doesn't need to be docked to be 1080p

i'd go on and on, but yeah thats not gonna happen, not anytime soon. world's best video game platform is easily within their grasp, but they area business to make money. Mario All-Stars was their first and last mistake in the profit business. they updated 3 of their flagship titles for the price of 1 game, now they DIRECT PORT everything individually to maximize profits. And when they replace something, they rarely outright tell you its a replacement, and believe me, switch is a replacement for 3ds. case and point, Dragon Quest XI. they decided not to port it in lieu of the switch version. they want the 3ds to die..... in their minds the quicker it dies, the quicker they can replace it fully or port its titles to their new pony

gone are the days where the DS has a GBA port, the new thing is to create a digital GBA port and charge to use it.

CrazyForCashews

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nah, your idea is not good.

But yeah, Nintendo need an ACTUAL replacement for 3DS because Switch is not one. Switch is directed to completely different group of players, has much higher price and its portability is somewhat questionable. Either Nintendo will release Switch-mini or another console.

There's need for low-priced actual handhelds for casuals and people that don't want to spend crapton of money on their console, Switch no matter how hyped can't fill this niche because it's directed to serious players, has higher price and calling it a handheld is a stretch.
Completely agree.

I’m betting a Switch Mini is bound to happen. This will be a true successor to the 3DS. It will be smaller and portable as a 3DS and have a lower price point.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: I appreciate the insight!