I'm saving up for the iPhone SE 2020, any pointers?

WalterSlovotsky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, I am switching from an Android.
My first recommendation is to stick with Android. iPhone absolutely sucks, unless you are stuck in the Apple ecosystem, and HAVE to have FaceTime to communicate with your friends and loved ones.

The iPhone SE 2020 is essentially the iPhone 11, in the body of the iPhone 8, with the camera from the iPhone XR. Even today, it's a weak device, which is why it's so cheap.

You can do everything that you can do on an iPhone, better and cheaper on an Android, with much more flexibility. iPhone sucks. Stick with Android.

Coloured

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My first recommendation is to stick with Android. iPhone absolutely sucks, unless you are stuck in the Apple ecosystem, and HAVE to have FaceTime to communicate with your friends and loved ones.

The iPhone SE 2020 is essentially the iPhone 11, in the body of the iPhone 8. Even today, it's a weak device, which is why it's so cheap.

You can do everything that you can do on an iPhone, better and cheaper on an Android, with much more flexibility.
I'm aware of all this, but I much prefer the universal optimization of Apple's devices.

WalterSlovotsky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm aware of all this, but I much prefer the universal optimization of Apple's devices.
I worked in phone sales. Maybe if you HAD to have an Apple device, this is the cheapest one that isn't garbage.

Stick with Android. Trust me. You will hate having an iPhone if you aren't already addicted to it.

WalterSlovotsky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah like me if my iPhone 12 Pro wasn't jailbroken on iOS 14.5.1 I would have an android Stock iOS sucks ass. Apple locked down to much can't do anything on stock iOS
Precisely that. Without a jailbroken iPhone, they're damned near worthless, unless you like having your device completely locked down.

Maq47

Lord of Pyro
Trophies
Website
idont.have.one
XP
Country
United States
Also, I am switching from an Android.
My advice? Don't. Simple. You lose 95% of what you love about Android, and on Apple devices, you cannot install anything that isn't gotten directly from Apple's in-house shop applet. Trying to do so will result in the app automatically being removed randomly, while deleting every folder the app created, without your knowledge or consent. There are hacky workarounds, but using them makes you run the risk of being denied free repair at the factory if you have an issue with your iPhone. Also, there's only about 1% of the total apps available on Android available on Apple's App Store. In other words, if you switch, you'll lose WAY more than you gain, just for peace of mind and nothing more. Ask yourself, is this something you may regret later? If you said 'Yes', or 'Maybe, but I'll deal with it when it happens', then you might want to think twice before buying an iPhone. The only people who use iPhone are people who either have only used Apple devices their whole lives, or people who only use their phone for internet and calls and nothing more. These same people are also the same kind of people that buy Chromebooks, which I think is a pure waste.

Reactions: WalterSlovotsky

WalterSlovotsky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My advice? Don't. Simple. You lose 95% of what you love about Android, and on Apple devices, you cannot install anything that isn't gotten directly from Apple's in-house shop applet. Trying to do so will result in the app automatically being removed randomly, while deleting every folder the app created, without your knowledge or consent. There are hacky workarounds, but using them makes you run the risk of being denied free repair at the factory if you have an issue with your iPhone. Also, there's only about 1% of the total apps available on Android available on Apple's App Store. In other words, if you switch, you'll lose WAY more than you gain, just for peace of mind and nothing more. Ask yourself, is this something you may regret later? If you said 'Yes', or 'Maybe, but I'll deal with it when it happens', then you might want to think twice before buying an iPhone. The only people who use iPhone are people who either have only used Apple devices their whole lives, or people who only use their phone for internet and calls and nothing more. These same people are also the same kind of people that buy Chromebooks, which I think is a pure waste.
I got a Lenovo C340 for $90 during the Black Friday pre-sale a few years ago. Bought two of them.

2-in-1 flippable laptops with shite for storage and memory, but, for under a hunskie? Worth every penny.

It's my daily driver for watching YouTube while I work. And that's really all it's good for. Still worth it.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not really sure what kind of advice you were expecting from this thread lol. Cut down on random snack purchases to help save money?

I don't think the app count difference matters when 99% of both Apple's and Google's store is absolute garbage lol. Frankly, I enjoy my iPhone as a device that I can trust to just work. I have plenty of Android devices that I enjoy using, but I tend to cycle back to my 13 Pro Max before long.

Really both OSes are fine, and if you're fancying a switch to Apple, the 2020 SE is about as good an option as you can get to see if the features on offer fit your needs. If you end up liking it a lot, you could then save for a more recent device, and if you don't like it, you won't have lost all that much.

Best of luck with your saving endeavours either way o7

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're 13? Well, you certainly can go from an Android to an iPhone and then back to an Android again. lol

Stick with Android because the liberties it has, you won't get 'em on iPhone.

Reactions: WalterSlovotsky

WalterSlovotsky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use Lightning Launcher as my Home replacement. Best decision I ever made. Literally everything about it is customizable. Icons, icon size, fonts, layout, functions.

You absolutely cannot do this on an iPhone. I can scroll up to open my web browser. Left for texts, right for calls. Every app and game I have (over 200), I can access in no more than three taps.

Having the entire Play Store available, for free, doesn't hurt, either.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I have an iPhone SE gen 3 as a work phone. It's a neat little phone, it's basically an iPhone 8.
I do fear the phone is getting a bit older, so it's not a lot of years left before Apple pulls the life support for it.

If possible, can I recommend maybe the iPhone 13 mini? They're roughly the same price when I looked the last time.

Reactions: Scarlet

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have an iPhone SE gen 3 as a work phone. It's a neat little phone, it's basically an iPhone 8.
I do fear the phone is getting a bit older, so it's not a lot of years left before Apple pulls the life support for it.

If possible, can I recommend maybe the iPhone 13 mini? They're roughly the same price when I looked the last time.
I need to pick up a 13 Mini before they stop being made. Not enough places make smaller form factor phones nowadays, and with Apple skipping it with the 14 I feel like they'll be dropping it themselves soon. It's a shame, but I guess they make what sells, and small just ain't it anymore.

Reactions: linuxares

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
I'm not trying to talk you down, I'm just curious: Why?
I've used both Android and iOS extensively, but even ignoring the OS differences, let's have a quick hardware comparison with a direct competitor: the Pixel 6a.

1688415811604.png
:arrow: Source: GSMArena

If you pick the 6a, you get more features, a newer system* and for less money. Heck, if you picked a Samsung or something from a Chinese brand like Huawei, you might even be able to increase the gap further.

So then, why?

___
*Not to mention, you'd be able to update your system way past what is officially supported by unlocking the bootloader and sideloading a ROM, increasing its longevity. As far as I can tell, this is not possible on an iPhone.

Tomato123

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My parents tried switching to iPhone SEs after years of never touching Apple products and instantly regretted it. They aren't even very tech-savvy but could see the many problems with them. Immediately switched back to cheap Android phones as soon as their contract ended as even they were better. Granted, these were 2016 SEs. But I doubt the 2020 one is much better compared to current cheap Android phones.

Coloured

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're 13? Well, you certainly can go from an Android to an iPhone and then back to an Android again. lol

Stick with Android because the liberties it has, you won't get 'em on iPhone.
Yeah, I've been in the android community for a bit. I mostly just want to get a feel for iOS. Thanks for the pointers everyone!
Post automatically merged:

Honestly, I think I may get the 12 or 11 instead

Last edited by Coloured,
Reactions: linuxares

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My first and last Apple phone was a 3GS and much as I tried to like it, the damn restrictions on transferring music/videos from the PC to the iPhone was annoying.

Meanwhile, on an Android it's as simple as drag and drop so ever since I got an Android phone years ago I never looked back to iOS.

zxr750j

Longtime member
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm using a SE from work, it's fine. I don't use Itunes: it sucks (it was shitty years ago and still is). For music it's just spotify. If I would have to buy a phone it wouldn't be an iphone though both my kids did.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Y @ YuseiFD: :creep: