Import N64 OOT .srm save to N64 Online .sram save

shauder

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering if anyone had advice on how to transfer a save into N64 NSO (sram) for Ocarina of Time from a RetroArch (mupen64plus-next core) save file (srm).

So far I understand that I can use Checkpoint or JKSV export the NSO N64 save. From within there I can see that there is a catridge.sram for each N64 game. I have tried various ways of extracting just whats needed from the .srm save file that RetroArch creates and replacing the cartridge.sram with that and then using the same tool to restore the save. So far everything I have tried has just resulted in the game starting as if there are no saves.

I have tried running the srm through pj64tosrm_64bit.exe which creates 3 files (eep, mkp and sra). I have tried using the sra file and renaming it to catridge.sram. I have also tried running that sra file through ED64 Saveswap first and still have no luck.

shauder

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ended up figuring this out I think.

Take the SRM from RetroArch and run it through the pj64tosrm_64bit.exe. Then I ran it through the ED64 Saveswap with all options selected and then that seemed to work when I renamed that output to cartridge.sram. Then I restored it using Checkpoint. I swear I had tried that exact step before but I guess maybe not with everything I tried.

rewen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thank you so much for this! I successfully managed to convert my save from RetroArch on Xbox to Nintendo 64 - Nintendo Switch Online.

If anyone else comes across this and needs more detail, here's where to get the programs needed:
  • pj64tosrm from here (click on "windows binaries here"):
    EDIT: I'm new so I can't actually post the link :(
  • ED64-Saveswap from here (click "ED64-Saveswap.zip" and then on the next page click "saturnus_ed64_archive_v3.zip"):
And here's how to use them convert your .srm file to cartridge.sram:
  • Drag and drop your .srm file onto pj64tosrm_64bit.exe, or use the command line to run "pj64tosrm_64bit.exe <your srm filename here>.
    • A bunch of new files will be created in the folder containing pj64tosrm_64bit.exe.
  • Open ED64-Saveswap.exe and choose the .sra file created in the previous step.
    • It should preselect the proper settings, so you can simply click "Convert file".
    • FYI the settings should be SRAM 256Kbit -32Kbytes, byte-swap, and word-swap.
  • Rename the .sra file to "cartridge.sram" and load it onto your Switch however you manage your Switch saves.
    • In my case I used JKSV:
      • I made a save game backup for "Nintendo 64 - Nintendo Switch Online".
      • I then replaced the existing cartridge.sram file with my new cartridge.sram file in the save game backup folder on the SD card, in the subfolder for OOT (the one with 3038 in the name).

mystiko111

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Thank you so much for this! I successfully managed to convert my save from RetroArch on Xbox to Nintendo 64 - Nintendo Switch Online.

If anyone else comes across this and needs more detail, here's where to get the programs needed:
  • ED64-Saveswap from here (click "ED64-Saveswap.zip" and then on the next page click "saturnus_ed64_archive_v3.zip"):
  • Drag and drop your .srm file onto pj64tosrm_64bit.exe, or use the command line to run "pj64tosrm_64bit.exe <your srm filename here>.
    • A bunch of new files will be created in the folder containing pj64tosrm_64bit.exe.
    • It should preselect the proper settings, so you can simply click "Convert file".
  • Rename the .sra file to "cartridge.sram" and load it onto your Switch however you manage your Switch saves.
      • I then replaced the existing cartridge.sram file with my new cartridge.sram file in the save game backup folder on the SD card, in the subfolder for OOT (the one with 3038 in the name).
Is your OOT save for the PAL Version? If so, is it possible to upload your save?

Wrecks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

For some reason the anonfile website which contains ED64-Saveswap isn't accessible anymore, is there any alternative solution or could someone share the software with me?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Nvm i didnt "hear", it's a truth +1