Indie Games Your Thoughts & Recommendations

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
What is everyone's stance on Indie (Independently Developed) Games?

Me personally I see them as a great bonus, I've found some genuine gems of games and they was Indie's 2 good examples would be "Samorost", "Ben there Dan That / Time Gentlemen Please! Double Pack" and "Shatter"

I Think there Bringing in a wave of fresh air into the gaming industry and outlets like Steam are a great way to get there games out there, I Remember reading that an interview with one of the guys (I Think one of the guys from the publisher) involved with "Borderlands" expressed concern that Steam might not be the best outlet for them to get there games out due to fee's and the such, but I feel that its also about getting them noticed and on the map more than the cash initially.

ss_b2e5d189c151f7c0b15a05eab620929a.jpg

I've started playing the BTDT / TGP double pack and I am quite enjoying the humour and its rather a nice blast from the past from the style of old lucasarts point and click adventure style, Something I Would Highly Recommend on steam for anyone who don't mind a short but sweet game should maybe look at the Samorost and the Double pack I mentioned they will both run you about €3.99 on steam.

photo-x-$7038834$430.jpg

But what is your thoughts on Indie Development and how do you people think its effecting gaming?

leic7

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Indie games give consumers more games to choose from and more games to play. But the problem with them is you really have to seek them out, as opposed to simply letting them reach you. For example, I check the Indie Games Festival website (http://www.igf.com/) every now and then for games to play, otherwise I probably would've never heard of any of them. In a way they're kinda like LGBT films, in that the consumer would have to actively seek them out in order to even know they exist.

As for recommendations, I'd recommend a really well-done puzzle game called "Closure". I'd also recommend "To the Moon", if you're in the mood for a story.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Some games are a bit harder to come by, but at least Metacritic is listing games on PSN/XBL/WiiWare so some games get on there. Mobile platforms have had loads of games ported so those are good options too. If you guys want good places to find Indie games, go for Humble Bundles. They have had quite a few excellent games and are multiplatform. Also the best part? Pay the price you can pay.

naglaro00

Mildly disturbed
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Some of the newer indie games are pretty crap.
Experimenting? More like laziness. Or quick cash

Anyway,
I'd recommend
• Cave Story (Platformer)
• Fez (Platformer)
• Castle Crashers (Hack n Slash)
• 10,000,000 (Puzzle)
• To The Moon (Adventure)

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
It's hard for me to come up with a real opinion on this one...:unsure:

I don't think any gamer actually dislikes or hates indie development, so the question on stance basically boils down to what degree one actually buys and plays the things.

And I'm really undecided. Since I've played Braid, I know for a fact that there really are works of art out there (and this is IN NO WAY meant ironically or tongue-in-cheek). In addition, they're also priced low (especially compared to regular games) and with steam, not that hard to come by.

Thus far, all the money I've spent on them (Braid, limbo, nightsky, rock of ages, retro city rampage) was at least well worth it (and in the first three titles: they would've been worth it even if the price was five to ten times as high). But I'm still hesitant. I'm even delaying buying bastion because of backlog reasons...yet I'm buying GTAIV while not even sure if my PC is able to handle it properly.
Perhaps it is because it is on PC. I just want to play console games, nowadays (I gotta admit: I've played nightsky more with a bluetooth controller while displaying it on my television). Perhaps if the ouya or steambox offers it easily delivered that I may pick up on it, but I'm not even sure of that.
It could also be that I'm just that oldschool that I want a physical copy of what I'm buying. I really don't know. :unsure:

As to how it's affecting gaming is something I'm interested in. I think it has the potential of breaking the traditional way console and pc games will be handled. As it is now, there's hardly any border left to conquer on what a commercial game can do. It's getting to the point where the only thing that still impresses the audience is the amount of money it costs to make it (and is charged for). Second hand games are already putting up quite an erosion there, but indie games could very well become an even larger threat. All it truly needs is a way to let people know it exists, and the ouya and steambox are closing in on that gap.

I'd think a few other of such tweaks (a decent reviewing magazine or two and a way to pay for games without credit card is what comes to mind) could really make the gaming industry tremble. Oh, there will always be room for "real" games with prices as they are today...but I'm honestly not so sure if all these sequels of sequels of follow-ups of sequels can last much longer.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
nearly all indie games are bs scam games they claim to be free than you get to a certain part of the game and realize you need coins, gold, gems whatever the fuck they use to TRICK you into buying crap to continue

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't find all of them amazing but there are a few. I'd be lying though if I said most of my favorite games ever weren't big budget mainstream titles. Really the only indie game I can seriously put up with my favorite games is Bastion.

Reactions: Sterling

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm relatively new to the indie gaming scene, but I absolutely LOVELOVELOVE Cave Story and VVVVVV. Fractured Soul is pretty good too, and though I've barely played more than 20 minutes of Fez, I'm liking what I see so far.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @K3Nv2 or not pay attention and still reply