Initial Mig Switch flashcart units now available and being tested by reviewers

aaaa.png

The first batch of the Mig Switch flashcarts have made their way into the hands of reviewers. Plenty of initial impressions have gone live, with users showing off how the device works. Just as promised, you can in fact play your "legally owned Nintendo Switch games", across any model of Nintendo Switch. However, there are more questions raised than answered.

For one, it's still uncertain if and when you'll get banned after playing online using the Mig Switch--the team claims so long as you have a valid certificate, card ID set, and card UID, and a fully complete game dump, you'll be able to play online just fine. Whether or not Nintendo can notice and take action is something that will take time to see. In order to obtain updates and DLCs for games, you'll need to be online to download them, as the Mig Switch can't load those files itself.

This leads into another quandary. The three aforementioned aspects--the certificates and IDs--come from a backed up copy of a Nintendo Switch game. If someone were to illicitly share their certificate online, there could be dozens or hundreds of users using the same cert for multiple games, across multiple systems, at the same time. Since you can obtain a certificate from a physical game, there's growing concern as to how it could affect pre-owned backed up copies of games that might have had their certificates used and banned. We know for a fact that Nintendo has banned gamecart certificates in the past, as found by scene memeber SciresM back in 2018.

If you're interested in seeing the Mig Switch in action, there are a handful of reviews from notable emulation-focused YouTubers.

So far, what are your thoughts on the Mig Switch? There's plenty of interesting quirks to the device, from its usage, to its mysterious development team. Have you ordered one, either to test out, or for use on trickier to softmod Switch revisions? Or are you staying away from anything to do with this flashcart?

Gronbar

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Poland
everione talks about ban... who tf cares about ban when you can play games.
It's even better, you will not be touching shitty Nintendo online P2P services and poor emulation subscription.
Post automatically merged:

Pico boot and hwfly are dead now. 99% os cfw users are pirates, not homebrew activists.

Also people that can play everything for free will see a ban as ab acceptable side effect
Maybe because there is no more to do in Switch Homebrew scene.

gateway needed an hacked system, but yeah

"pretend" some peoples actually do have moral.
I have arround 1 terabyte of xci games, and I still buy my games if they deserve it (I have more than 50 legit games).
Yeah, withshitload of shitty ports for Switch moral is to not buy them but test them first lol.

Reactions: Metoroid0

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not everyone plays online, I'm such a loner that this flashcart would be useful and wouldn't get me banned since my switch is always in airplane mode. I thought about moding it but since it's a V2 but I'm not good at soldering. But still, if you have a moded ps4 there's not really and incentive.

Always in airplane mode? So you never use the eShop? And how do you update your games?

You do realize that airplane mode does not protect you? You're just prolonging your execution since the system will be logging your dirty activity.

Of course it protects you. It doesn't matter if the system is logging dirty activity if you're never online for it to send that activity to Nintendo. Getting a ban would require taking the system out of airplane mode and connecting to the internet, which would then NOT be "always in airplane mode".

Reactions: rayida

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think it's a slam dunk that simply playing a game offline is gonna cause that many automatic checks at Nintendo
I personally got banned early on a V1 simply by having a nsp game on system, never played it online, keep it in airplane mode, then days later I went online (did not play any game online) and got the banhammer. I can't say for sure the actual "why" I was banned, but assumed that was "why". (My dumbass should of setup Emunand, I know)

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally got banned early on a V1 simply by having a nsp game on system, never played it online, keep it in airplane mode, then days later I went online (did not play any game online) and got the banhammer. I can't say for sure the actual "why" I was banned, but assumed that was "why". (My dumbass should of setup Emunand, I know)
In order to install an nsp you have to do a tooon of other steps that potentially will send error messages to ninty

Playing one game offline with potentially an id being used by other game systems I think has less likelihood to generate the same sort of alarming telemetry

The game should look 100% legit aside from using the same id as another game somewhere else

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
Always in airplane mode? So you never use the eShop? And how do you update your games?

Of course it protects you. It doesn't matter if the system is logging dirty activity if you're never online for it to send that activity to Nintendo. Getting a ban would require taking the system out of airplane mode and connecting to the internet, which would then NOT be "always in airplane mode".
That's not the point though, they will have to go online in order to update the firmware which is required to play any new games.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Playing one game offline with potentially an id being used by other game systems I think has less likelihood to generate the same sort of alarming telemetry
Nay, it gets logged to the system if I remember correct. So next time you go online that gets sent.

Not sure how it works for us Europeans that opt-out of it but still not safe.

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's not the point though, they will have to go online in order to update the firmware which is required to play any new games.

Actually, airplane mode offering protection was in fact the point. You're moving the goal posts. Having to go online to update firmware to play new games was not the point.

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
Actually, airplane mode offering protection was in fact the point. You're moving the goal posts. Having to go online to update firmware to play new games was not the point.
That's why I said they are prolonging their execution. There's no point in doing so if you're going to leave traces of your crime scene.

zekro94

Trophies
XP
Country

I did buy some games from the eshop and have them installed but since I buy them after some time after release they already have updates installed, last game I bought was in november of 2022 and since then I keep it offline, I checked some discounts on the eshop but I don't really use my switch online, so if I ever got a flashcart I would be having it 100% in airplane mode. I was asking about updates if they can be installed offline for those that don't use internet, ala ps4.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nay, it gets logged to the system if I remember correct. So next time you go online that gets sent.

Not sure how it works for us Europeans that opt-out of it but still not safe.
But it's not clear Nintendo has a big log somewhere of all the games ever used twice etc

It's not nearly as cut and dry

And it's not clear ninty even would cross reference them especially if not playing online

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People that pretend to have morals.
I for example bought a PS4 that I thought it'd have a low firmware, but turns out it's 10+ so I just ended up using it and playing it. It wasn't a waste.

These days I use it to play Burnout Paradise Remastered and I love it, plus I bought a bunch of other games. And later next week a few more that are on discount.

I know I don't own it as it's a license, but I'm very satisfied with it overall.

Snintendog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Already seen it. SO far its just a Sky3ds also same rules apply to CFW switches just DONT take it online while pirating, If used as intended IE backups its stealth unlike CFW. Not sure why the fearmongering its SimpleStupid tech in practice. Are you saying Switch modders missed some sort of Cartridge DRM that hasnt been known DAY 1?

Its just Team executor hate mostly at this point.

And yet no one is talking about the Best part No more CFW Needed for Personal Backups for our Emulators. Or is someone going to make that int a bad thing too?

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan

Nintendo cannot ban me if I self-ban.

download.png

Last edited by tabzer,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Already seen it. SO far its just a Sky3ds also same rules apply to CFW switches just DONT take it online while pirating, If used as intended IE backups its stealth unlike CFW. Not sure why the fearmongering its SimpleStupid tech in practice. Are you saying Switch modders missed some sort of Cartridge DRM that hasnt been known DAY 1?

Its just Team executor hate mostly at this point.

And yet no one is talking about the Best part No more CFW Needed for Personal Backups for our Emulators. Or is someone going to make that int a bad thing too?
Mig Switch lacks features that are readily available in CFW. Mig Switch doesn't support custom .XCI files so you cannot bundle updates and DLC to play with the flashcard. True you can download updates yourself but with the Mig Switch, there is no alternative to DLC unless there exists a retail cartridge with that game's DLC pre-bundled. Oh and you can forget about playing any games without a physical release. Furthermore, you have no access to homebrew apps. Yes, pirates only care about playing games but consoles have become more sophisticated so tools like overclocking or save managers go a long way when Nintendo either offers no way to backup your save data or optimize performance.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
But it's not clear Nintendo has a big log somewhere of all the games ever used twice etc

It's not nearly as cut and dry

And it's not clear ninty even would cross reference them especially if not playing online
For sure, we have absolutely NO IDEA what Nintendo have stored on their servers or not.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Telementry of everything you do is stored on your switch, even when offline. As soon as you go online, that telementry is sent to N. I believe there is Ai looking for errors in that telementry, if found it will trigger the ban hammer. Doubt actual humans go through this data personally.
Look if they Do this (and I hope they do)
They are going to be banning a lot of legit users and there will be backlash and class action lawsuits against N.
I am not sure if they really want to go this route.
Maybe Ninendo themselves are actualy behind MIG Switch so it will kill the used game market.
Who will want to take a chance on buying a used game if it could get your system banned now?

How will Nintendo prove if you used the orignal cart that is banned or if you used the certs from a dump on a MIG switch?

Snintendog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mig Switch lacks features that are readily available in CFW. Mig Switch doesn't support custom .XCI files so you cannot bundle updates and DLC to play with the flashcard. True you can download updates yourself but with the Mig Switch, there is no alternative to DLC unless there exists a retail cartridge with that game's DLC pre-bundled. Oh and you can forget about playing any games without a physical release. Furthermore, you have no access to homebrew apps. Yes, pirates only care about playing games but consoles have become more sophisticated so tools like overclocking or save managers go a long way when Nintendo either offers no way to backup your save data or optimize performance.
Literally Nothing was said in this word salad. MigSwitch if used as a Pbackup has no downsides besides the Cartridge rotation issue. Its doing its Job in emulating the Cart EXACTLY. Of course it wont Hold Modded files (Yet) Its 100% stealth if your not a moron that pirates AND goes online Something CFW doesnt allow anyway.

As it is the Certs are the only IDs Ninty has on switch cards and if you use your own cards there is a ZERO % Chance of them Banning it. Also why bundle Updates for your Backups your switch will already DL them thinking its the legit card anyway same with DLC. Then again Pirates only think about themselves and less about how this is a better way of playing a collection they own. Not like Ninty can detect the MIG as in authentic otherwise they can only see the certs.

Reactions: tabzer

CaliousKai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd rather have this than custom firmware plus all I'd want is star ocean 1,wargroove 2, ninja gaiden master collection and fatal frame 3 and 5 and that's it for me on switch buys other than sea of stars physical edition.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Also what is this S20 Ultra crap... I want the S24 Ultra lol