Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have a question or more an idea for improvement for our Forum.

Its a bit uncommon to reply to a actual last post by inserting a quote of the hole previous message.
Especially new members hit the the reply button continously. Its like a permanent double post of the same contents and a bit annoying.
Some thread are filled with a lot of them, instead just replying in the field beneath.

E.g. in this latest thread a new member is instant quoting last previous post with by reply button.
1662464266668.png

Or in this thread two members are replying on there latest posts of their conversation by constant replying.
1662464378326.png

As solution maybe the reply button for the last post in a thread needs to be disabled, or without inserting a quote of the last Post.

With best regards
Sypherone

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Aw I like it for when people decide to play editor or guess deleted members.

Others use it to break down replays/highlight specific points as well (though that is more annoying since rich text became the default).

Similarly in some active threads I have taken a minute or two to make a reply, or wandered off to answer the phone/do some research and suddenly I am 10 posts on and completely out of context.

Collapse after fewer lines might be an option though.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I mean...just don't read the quote in the next post? I see no reason to remove or partially remove the quote feature, there are plenty of times when someone might be typing up a response to the last message and other people post in between. Quotes are there to provide context, even if they're replying to the post right above them. A lot of people might not actually read an entire thread and will just jump to the bottom post, especially if they're looking for a solution to a problem. Maybe we could lower the number of lines for collapsing the text automatically, but I don't see it as a major issue to really bother with TBH.

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Korea, North
I like using the quote thing because it gives people a notification that I have replied to them. Some people (like me) have the option to automatically subscribe to threads that I have commented on turned off otherwise I'd have a constant torrent of notifications coming in from old threads that I don't care about anymore.

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The Quote feature is reale a nice option to provide a context for sure. Especially if you will preserve context to other previous messages. And my sugesstion is ONLY for direct consecutive posts. The context is clear.

If necesarry you have also a qoute option to manually enter a quote beside the reply option wich automatically enters the hole post as qoute wich you can edit (So its nearly the same). You can also mark a specific part of a post and qoute dialog will appear. You can enter it then in your reply, wich is also fast. If in meantime others reply, you get a information and can choose to view them or not. So you have enough time to enter a quote for the context.

If someone will send a notification there is simply the option of mentioning a member (@membername). A lot for sure also reply, just for send one. But at actuall threads you will get automatically a notification for new posts, if not disabled.

But the most reason that i see is that especially NEW members hit it consequently (but also longer members does), and not for to qoute a partial text to preserve context. No, they hit it because its there, its just a automatism. Not because of necesarry or able just to reply. Maybe they think it have to be like that and that you are getting a notification.
And if your focused into a discussion, reading a lot of stuff e.g. to search information or to solve a problem a member has. Its annoying if you see or read a lot of time a hole qouted message directly under the belonging last post.
So in this way the context is also loosing. If you need to understand afterwards the coreproblem. It leads to a big search because you are going to read a lot of previous posts as quoted doubled.

Last edited by Sypherone,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Thank You :D