Is 128 GB too much?

Thee_Stranger

Unknown Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember when someone told me 32 gigs was more than I'd ever need, and I believed them. And for a while, it really was. But now I have so much stuff -- and more stuff just keeps comin' -- my SD card is full. Not sure how simple upgrading would be. I don't think booting up takes me much time at all, though. Maybe 5 to 10 seconds? Takes a little while for all my .cia files to load in.

I don't think I've ever backed up my card since I first jailbroke it. Should do that immediately. I've never had an SD card fail on me.

Tokiwa

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I remember when someone told me 32 gigs was more than I'd ever need, and I believed them. And for a while, it really was. But now I have so much stuff -- and more stuff just keeps comin' -- my SD card is full. Not sure how simple upgrading would be. I don't think booting up takes me much time at all, though. Maybe 5 to 10 seconds? Takes a little while for all my .cia files to load in.

I don't think I've ever backed up my card since I first jailbroke it. Should do that immediately. I've never had an SD card fail on me.
It's very simple, just format the sd card with right format and transfer all your files from your old card to your new one.

https://3ds.hacks.guide/faq#q-how-do-i-upgrade-my-sd-card

Two_Fitty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 256 card works good and everything I have like 256 ones full of shit for my 3ds (half of one of for another 3ds)

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I've been using a 256GB for about 6 months now and have had no issues. I used a 128GB since 2018 and it has been running fine since the day I got it. It's currently in my wife's 3DS and still working without and issues.
All of these were tested on an old3DS, new3DS, and old3DSXL

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
You can use up to 1TB worth of space on the 3DS, I got a 256GB sitting in my 3DS, for card larger than 64GB format it 64kb cluster for faster boot time.
Hi is this proven to be true? Not that I doubt you cuz you're level 19, I meant the 32kb and 64kb cluster sizes.

ATM my 64GB is formatted as fat32 with 32kb only, should I format it back to 64kb and copy everything back?.

Does it make a difference or is it limited by the 3ds hardware anyways.

If it does make a difference then I'll try to format it to 64kb cluster size to see the speed improvements like faster boot time etc as you said.

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If it helps at all, I use a 64GB card and I've got more than enough room even after Retroarch, OPEN AGB FIRM, SNES9x, VirtuaNES, and a bunch of ROMS alongside installed 3DS titles.

I'll probably never need to upgrade in size so 128GB will be more than enough to guarantee you're futureproofed.

Reactions: Tokiwa and Marc_LFD

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
The loading times mentioned in this thread seem excessive. It takes 13 seconds from power button press to the HOME menu showing up here. As far as i can tell it finished loading a moment later. I don't use badges and have everything sorted in folders. A little over 32 GB is used by games.

New 3DS XL with 64 GB microSD 64 KB clusters. No issues with official GBA VC either.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hi, so i recently fixed my 3ds and wanted to upgrade my storage. Currently i have an old 3ds model and a 16 gb micro sd. I have been wanting to upgrade it, but wondered "will more storage make my 3ds slower?". Ive read that the 3ds is defaulted to 32 gb(although i know that i can reformat bigger sd cards), so im scared to upgrade to a bigger sd card. My 3ds is pretty old too and i dont want to sacrifice gameplay over more games
128 GB is a good size, that's the same size I have in my 3DS. Plenty for all the games I could want to play. They average about 1 GB IIRC but some games, like Monster Hunter and Pokemon tend to be on the large side.
3DS games max out at 4 GB and Monster Hunter and Pokemon tend to be close to this limit so if you play those games, you could potentially fill up most of a 64 GB card with just those games and not have a lot left for other games. So while you can get by with 64 GB, you might find that you want a bit more space, 128 GB seems to be the ideal size.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The loading times mentioned in this thread seem excessive. It takes 13 seconds from power button press to the HOME menu showing up here. As far as i can tell it finished loading a moment later. I don't use badges and have everything sorted in folders. A little over 32 GB is used by games.

New 3DS XL with 64 GB microSD 64 KB clusters. No issues with official GBA VC either.
Oh okay I see it makes no difference 32kb or 64kb cluster size.

Thanks I don't have to waste 1 hour formatting and copying everything back to my 64GB SD card in my new 2ds xl.

ber71

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
You might want a 128+ sdcard if twilightmenu++ is in your planned purposes. An entire, curated nds romset for your region is well below 90gb, avoiding any flashcart.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Tokiwa

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I've been using a 256GB for about 6 months now and have had no issues. I used a 128GB since 2018 and it has been running fine since the day I got it. It's currently in my wife's 3DS and still working without and issues.
All of these were tested on an old3DS, new3DS, and old3DSXL

Just curious, are you using 32kb or 64kb for cluster size? I think i have a spare 256GB taking dust on my closet but i might test it in the future just for science.

Hi is this proven to be true? Not that I doubt you cuz you're level 19, I meant the 32kb and 64kb cluster sizes.

ATM my 64GB is formatted as fat32 with 32kb only, should I format it back to 64kb and copy everything back?.

Does it make a difference or is it limited by the 3ds hardware anyways.

If it does make a difference then I'll try to format it to 64kb cluster size to see the speed improvements like faster boot time etc as you said.

If you're not having any weird issues then don't bother, for a 64GB card i doubt it will have any noticeable impact on boot time. It's usually recommend for 128GB or larger though

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Just curious, are you using 32kb or 64kb for cluster size? I think i have a spare 256GB taking dust on my closet but i might test it in the future just for science.

If you're not having any weird issues then don't bother, for a 64GB card i doubt it will have any noticeable impact on boot time. It's usually recommend for 128GB or larger though
Oh okay, thanks

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I remember when someone told me 32 gigs was more than I'd ever need, and I believed them. And for a while, it really was. But now I have so much stuff -- and more stuff just keeps comin' -- my SD card is full.
You could just, y'know, delete stuff you no longer use..?

You might want a 128+ sdcard if twilightmenu++ is in your planned purposes. An entire, curated nds romset for your region is well below 90gb, avoiding any flashcart.
And you'll never touch 90% of it.

Thee_Stranger

Unknown Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could just, y'know, delete stuff you no longer use..?
Yes, I could do that. But I'd prefer not to. I do not want to delete that stuff. All the stuff I have installed - I want that stuff. And just because I am not using that stuff at the moment doesn't mean I'll never want to use that stuff again. I'd rather simplify my life by just having the stuff, and having quick access to the stuff, and having more storage for more stuff, rather than constantly deleting, installing, and re-installing.

Memory is getting cheaper and cheaper, and more compact. If it's a viable option, I don't see what the problem is. I think 64 gigs would suit my needs, with a little leg-room to spare.

Reactions: Tokiwa and Marc_LFD

Winduss

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Not long ago I switched to a 128gb card from 64 myself. The 64gb card was pretty much completely filled up. Some 3DS games are just way bigger than most. Pokemon games, Smash Bros, Yo Kai Watch, Donkey Kong Country Returns. All multi gigabyte games. It all adds up to a lot.

Ever since I got a 128gb card I‘m more willing to install random games onto it since I know I’ll probably won’t fill it up before I hit the title limi lol. Currently about 20gb left iirc

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not related to the 3DS, but I've got a 256GB card in my Vita and I thought about downgrading to a 128GB turns out that if I did that I'd have to remove some of the PSP games or the Vita games and since I didn't want to do neither I just kept as it is.

I'll use that 128GB for PS2's SD memory card. Already formatted it to FAT32 (do wish it could handle NTFS so games bigger than 4GB wouldn't need to be split).

So yeah, smaller storage = some sacrifices.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Do I make you randy!!! Lol