Is 128 GB too much?

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I know a friend who went crazy with a 400GB card and it takes almost a whole minute to boot his 2DS (original model) and he also experienced the GBA issue first hand (some pixels being displayed on the lower screen).
That's insane :O
Post automatically merged:

That's insane :O
A new world record :rofl2:

Last edited by SylverReZ,
Reactions: Tokiwa

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
supposedly, that's the reason Nintendo suggests 32GB or lower=system stability. you don't need a card as large as 400GBs unless you were maybe using the 3ds bank app, because you're limited to 300 titles. the bank app gets around that by creating multiple users or something iirc. I've never used it, but 128GBs is probably plenty. just remember to do an allocation of 64KBs. you'll have a screen tearing problem with gba otherwise. anything lower should be okay with 32KBs.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just did a stopwatch test and mine takes 24secs.
I think the boot speed is determined by two things, the b9s version you're using as well as the capacity of the card. the latest b9s is supposed to boot faster, but I'm using fastboot, which I think is better than the normal b9s. it's probably around 20 seconds or so to get to the home menu. a good way to test is to boot the system up without an sd card.

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think the boot speed is determined by two things, the b9s version you're using as well as the capacity of the card. the latest b9s is supposed to boot faster, but I'm using fastboot, which I think is better than the normal b9s. it's probably around 20 seconds or so to get to the home menu. a good way to test is to boot the system up without an sd card.
My 3DS powers on and then powers off if the SD card is not inserted.

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
are you on luma 11.0? you're most likely missing luma on the ctrnand. luma 11.0 is supposed to copy itself to the nand upon boot to make it easier.
So, do I go ahead and reinstall Luma3DS?

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
yes, if it's not 11.0. you could update I think with universal updater. that would be the easiest way.
I'm running Luma3DS 11.0. I'll try and attempt to reinstall it with "Universal Updater" like you've just said.

Reactions: godreborn

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
you can check if there's a boot.firm on the root of the ctrnand. luma folder stuff goes in rw on the ctrnand iirc.
I'll double-check that also with GM9.

Ha, you was right, I seem to have removed "boot.firm" at one point from CTRNAND. Don't remember why that was though. Thanks for your help. :)

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll double-check that also with GM9.

Ha, you was right, I seem to have removed "boot.firm" at one point from CTRNAND. Don't remember why that was though. Thanks for your help. :)
I'm pretty sure you can even use godmode without the sd card. it most likely goes somewhere in the rw folder on the ctrnand.

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm pretty sure you can even use godmode without the sd card. it most likely goes somewhere in the rw folder on the ctrnand.
It sure does. I've updated it with the latest version from my SD card, had no problems running payloads so far.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't realize how lucky you guys are, my 3DS SD Card just died, so now I am stuck with a cheap knockoff 16 GB card until a new one can arrive lol
should always make periodic backups for the systems that allow this. that's one thing I love about these new systems, cloud saving, so you don't even need to remember to do this periodically. it does it automatically.

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You don't realize how lucky you guys are, my 3DS SD Card just died, so now I am stuck with a cheap knockoff 16 GB card until a new one can arrive lol
Never use fake SD cards for CFW. Buy a SanDisk SD card like what I've got or something similar to this.

should always make periodic backups for the systems that allow this. that's one thing I love about these new systems, cloud saving, so you don't even need to remember to do this periodically. it does it automatically.
After making a backup, copy the backup to your computer as they take up too much space. I also recommend generating checksum hashes for your backups so that you can check to see if they haven't got corrupted at a later point.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never use fake SD cards for CFW. Buy a SanDisk SD card like what I've got or something similar to this.

After making a backup, copy the backup to your computer as they take up too much space. I also recommend generating checksum hashes for your backups so that you can check to see if they haven't got corrupted at a later point.
I have several large hdds for that, so they support all of my systems.

Reactions: SylverReZ

Plazorn

GBAtemp’s Dragon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yes, I know what you mean, I only use Sandisk when possible. Soon my Sandisk will arrive, but I will have to make do until then…

Reactions: SylverReZ

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    sombrerosonic @ sombrerosonic: Im not on here often +2