Hacking Is Atmosphere more stable/compatible than SX OX?

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its b/c threads/titles like this only promote the ongoing war between sxos and atmos users. What boggles my mind is some ppl will do no research at all on what they use and end up asking questions later on what they should use based on opinions. To be more blunt theres no such thing as a stable cfw yet. Just pick whatever that fits your needs or use both.

Reactions: gizmomelb

SXAintSoBad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
Because these are the only homebrew apps in existence...
And your point is...?

Just as a reminder of my one-and-only assertion before you derail this discussion further (which I won't engage with).

SX-OS install:
1. Copy boot.dat
DONE.
You now have:
- Title installation
- FTP server
- XCI mounting
- USB HDD support
i.e. A fully functional CFW ecosystem if all you want to do is play games.

Reactions: Hardline

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
The point is you are making it look like you have to do nothing with SX and all homebrew apps are magically there and up to date but there are other popular apps like for example savegame managers which are not included you still need to keep up to date.

And even if the basics are included is that 2 minutes convenience worth $20? For me definitely not.
I don't know if someone made one yet but likely there is already an updater app which brings both CFWs to the same level so it's useless arguing over such basic tasks as copying files.

mattytrog

You don`t want to listen to anything I say.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As I have said before...

Apples and oranges really...

Atmosphere (for best homebrew support - playing backups isnt very high on the agenda). All/most modules have been rewritten / reimplemented to make the system truely more open. Playing backup games is a byproduct of this development. Not the aim.

SXOS is great if you need something that just works. Most of the time. XCI support is JUST for playing backups. They have an installer too, which seems to work OK for the most part. Homebrew is not well supported and SXOS is frowned upon by devs. However, if you have young children who are always losing cartridges - SXOS can be a godsend.

Nutshell:
If you are computer illiterate and want to "chip" your Switch to play backups, use SXOS. It is very easy to use. Forget about any serious developing. It is considered the ba$tard child of the Switch scene. Even though it does what it says on the tin.
If you aren`t frightened of computers, like to tinker, maybe run emulators etc with the best support and play the odd backup, then Atmosphere is for you.

Both have emuNAND solutions, both play backups, both involve cost (Atmosphere - time and little knowledge, SXOS, actual money)

We use both in this house. For different jobs. SXOS as I am sick of replacing Mario Odyssey and Mario Kart / Minecraft, and Atmosphere for N64 and devving (we do a bit here).

Long term... As Atmosphere is completely open-sores, it is likely to be supported in the months and years ahead. TX have demo`d SXOS running on a Switch lite. However, you are at the mercy of just a few TX devs. Regarding the Switch Lite - It is possible to run Atmosphere on it too... Trust me on this. Details will come soon...

Depends what you want it for. Get both... They are both very good and they are BOTH the reason we have such a thriving scene, not seen since the Amiga days... Fit a SAMD modchip and you are at the races.

Last edited by mattytrog,

TunaKetchup

The Goose is Loose
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Run it through SX Installer and not the homebrew menu

Open SX Installer
Go to homebrew
Run Edizon

You might not think that will make a difference but for whatever reason it does

Last edited by TunaKetchup,

SXAintSoBad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
@mattytrog - Thank you for your balanced, sensible comment. It makes a refreshing change from the Atmoshill tribal responses.

There are times with the Switch when I want something that JUST WORKS (TM). SX OS meets that need.
eg getting 9.1.0 support with as little effort as possible.

There are other times when I am happy to invest the time and effort into reading and tinkering.

ELY_M

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I choose atmosphere about one year ago. I am into programming and customizing. I love to twerk things.
many game modders and cheaters use atmosphere. I really love atmosphere theme and colors.
playing backups is very less important for me. I already bought game carts.

ELY_M

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also have helped several people switched to atmosphere from sxos because of many reasons.
I helped a deaf man switched to atmosphere because he found sxos too unstable.
now, he love atmosphere like me.

Reactions: ghjfdtg
D

Deleted User

Yo i notice my ACTUAL experience differs so I am going to post it. So if we are talking homebrew you want atmosphere. By homebrew I am talking retroarch ppsspp but other homebrew does work fine in sxos and the homebrews I mentioned also work! I mainly only notice the difference in intense n64 and psp games.

if you want to overclock your games then I feel you want atmosphere. If you want to mod your games you are want atmosphere.

now if you just want to play your games here is the funny part. I feel you want sxos. The ability to usb load switch games and to play updates games WITH dlc is far more stable. These comments are SPECIFIC to 9.1.0 which I notice much of the community has not updates to. On 9.1.0 i have found issues gosh just booting atmosphere at times. While I will eventually get it to load it takes much longer than sxos. Also i have legit just had atmosphere crash at dash. Not doing anything. Just sitting at the dash. I have had much more crashes when playing with mods on this latest release for 9.1.0 not so much with the 10.0.2 update but definitely still an issue. I think it is important to point out that while Atmosphere has generally been solid apparently 9.1.0 is it’s own animal if you will and the fellow should be made aware. Of course as usual if you will be running atmos don’t forget to install your sweet patches...

Wouldn’t want to be caught without those eh?

i would also recommend nut for usb installing. Another discovered I made on 9.1.0....ah the pains of being cutting edge...

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Generally yes, Atmosphere receives compatibility updates faster, has less bugs (and actually tell you about the bugs when any are discovered in a new update as well as an ETA on how long it will take to get fixed), and the bugs are fixed quicker, usually within a few days where SX OS might take weeks. SX OS also does not support the most common format for sysmodules (homebrew that extends Horizon OS functionality) so most sysmodules don't work on SX OS. Additionally most homebrew is tested on Atmosphere and not on SX OS, so compatibility with SX OS is not guaranteed though usually they will work just fine since SX OS is still based on Atmosphere code.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I helped a deaf man switched to atmosphere because he found sxos too unstable.
now, he love atmosphere like me.

I'm not sure how him being deaf is relevant, but good for you. Whether something is popular or not is not really a sign of anything (Trump got elected for example).

SX-OS has XCI loading from SD Card and USB, it's a feature sorely missing from Atmosphere. Currently you have to buy SX-OS if you want to easily back up your legally bought cartridges and play them.

Reactions: gizmomelb

TunaKetchup

The Goose is Loose
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
SX = For noobs
Atmo = Advanced users so to speak

Neither are very advanced and both can be easily used by noobs or whoever

Most likely people have SX because it released before Atmosphere and had backup loading before Atmosphere. Legacy users who use it because they have it and it works. If you are just getting into Switch homebrew then SX might not seem as attractive as it did back then for obvious reasons.

Last edited by TunaKetchup,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one +1