• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Is hydroxycloroquine really efficient at treating covid-19?

crimpshrine

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ffs, why do you guys think injecting random shit into your veins helps. If anything the reason they feel better is because they're under constant hospital caer. I'm tired of these threads full of blatant misinformation being promoted by people who don't know how to find real case studies. Thread Blocked

LOL, It is clear based on the data that it works. And that the US FDA was 100% wrong in their findings.

If you want to ignore that, then fine that is your choice.

No one is talking about injecting random shit into your veins.

Nothing that they have found so far is a silver bullet.

HCQ when given early in a person who will be in that category of developing secondary issues from Covid-19 that wind up killing them 100% there is a benefit. It decreases chance of death and speeds up recovery time in this case.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The numbers just make no sense to me, the chart was the only thing that made sense :P
What I mean is there are still quite a few studies that are biased towards the red. So that's what makes it inconclusive to me. It's not an universal "yes, it works"

They have no way to my knowledge of knowing in advance who catches Covid-19 is going to be the type that goes on 10+ days later to develop secondary issues that lead to killing them. Obviously they have an idea to who is more at risk of this occurring with, but there have been occasions where people NOT in the "high risk" category have this occur - young people, etc..

What the data shows, is that given that there is no test to my knowledge to tell you in advance if you are likely going to have a secondary issue 15+ days into a Covid-19 infection. There is benefit to giving HCQ early - ASAP, the data shows there are LESS deaths over all when it is used in this manner. When you add up ALL the studies done so far that is clear. You can't give it to this type of person AFTER the virus has already setup shop in their body for too long. It has to be right away.

And that is why many countries continue to use HCQ and have NOT stopped. Because it helps.

There are multiple tools in every toolbox, sometimes tools that overlap in what they can do. The same thing happens I believe in the medical field, which is good because not everything is as tolerated well from person to person. And if you can combine treatment types that can be even better. LIKE HCQ + plasma for example. I don't know if other counties are doing that but maybe those are two treatments that can be combine for example.

To write off one drug during this pandemic by the US is funny when much of the rest of the world continues to use it with great results, as all of the data shows. Including the last study I posted.

And it also indicates we have issues within our medical systems and FDA in the US.

EVERY drug has people it does not work with, or side effects many times really BAD side effects.

Reactions: The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
ffs, why do you guys think injecting random shit into your veins helps. If anything the reason they feel better is because they're under constant hospital caer. I'm tired of these threads full of blatant misinformation being promoted by people who don't know how to find real case studies. Thread Blocked
I think it's a matter of, if they can find some existing drug that treats it, they don't have to come up with a new one and spend months/years on testing it, since it's already been tested and deemed "safe" for humans, therefore they can have a treatment out to the general public in short order, since the drug has already been mass produced.
And time is kind of of the essence, so it only makes sense to first find out if there are any existing drugs that work.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

crimpshrine

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10067-020-05334-7

COVID-19 and rheumatic autoimmune systemic diseases: report of a large Italian patients series

Summary, immune-compromised patients in Italy were getting Covid-19 at a higher rate then the general population. Those that had immune-compromised conditions did better that were taking HCQ. Their findings were that HCQ might play a protective role against Covid-19.

From study:

• Covid-19 is more frequent in the subgroup of autoimmune systemic diseases patients without ongoing conventional synthetic disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs, mainly hydroxyl-chloroquine and methotrexate, which might play some protective role against the most harmful manifestations of Covid-19.

crimpshrine

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
COVID-19 mortality risk factors in older people in a long-term care center

https://assets.researchsquare.com/files/rs-70219/v1/355eb86a-0b86-4bee-b6b3-1212593fd864.pdf

The study group comprised 100 COVID-19 confirmed cases with a mean age of 85 (IQR 65-103) years.
Sixty-two percent were female, and the average length of stay was 22 days. Fifty-two patients were
initially from the public nursing home, 36 came from other nursing homes, nine from home, and three
coming back from the hotel.

Eighty-three percent received pharmacological treatment, mostly with hydroxychloroquine and
azithromycin (70%) (Figure 2). Only five patients had diarrhea as a side effect related to
hydroxychloroquine. Cardiac monitoring was performed by electrocardiogram, and no rhythm changes
were observed with this treatment in any patient.

F2.png

crimpshrine

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine as ACE2 blockers to inhibit viropexis of 2019-nCoV Spike pseudotyped virus

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7467095/

Purpose
: The objective of this study is to investigate whether CQ and HCQ could be ACE2 blockers and used to inhibit 2019-nCoV virus infection.

Methods
: In our study, we used CCK-8 staining, flow cytometry and immunofluorescent staining to evaluate the toxicity and autophagy of CQ and HCQ, respectively, on ACE2 high-expressing HEK293T cells (ACE2h cells). We further analyzed the binding character of CQ and HCQ to ACE2 by molecular docking and surface plasmon resonance (SPR) assays, 2019-nCoV spike pseudotyped virus was also used to observe the viropexis effect of CQ and HCQ in ACE2h cells.

Results
: Results showed that HCQ is slightly more toxic to ACE2h cells than CQ. Both CQ and HCQ could bind to ACE2 with KD =(7.31±0.62)e−7 M and (4.82±0.87)e−7 M, respectively. They exhibit equivalent suppression effect for the entrance of 2019-nCoV spike pseudotyped virus into ACE2h cells.

Conclusions
: CQ and HCQ both inhibit the entrance 2019-nCoV into cells by blocking the binding of the virus with ACE2. Our findings provide novel insights into the molecular mechanism of CQ and HCQ treatment effect on virus infection.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Mortality Risk Factors among Hospitalized COVID-19 Patients in a Major Referral Center in Iran

https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/tjem/252/1/252_73/_article/-char/ja/

Retrospective 396 patients in Iran 93% using HC Q, showing HC Q mortality RR 0.45, p = 0.028. HC Q was the only antiviral that showed a significant difference.
Wrong study linked? There is no reference to 0.028 in the entirety of the text.
edit: found it, its in the images (tables at the bottom)

edit: here is the real (statistical) lie in that statement:

Case fatality rate in that study was 14% after treatment. Case fatality rate in other countries (with better treatment and no HC Q) is 2%. Dang.. ;)

Poster says, but without HC Q case fatality rate in Iran would gave been 30%.
Thats great and all, but in the developed world, where it isnt, HC Q seems not to help to the same extent.. ;) (because f.e. there are better treatments available).

omcsLJi.png

https://ourworldindata.org/mortality-risk-covid#the-case-fatality-rate

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: Deleted User

crimpshrine

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Effect of Early Hydroxychloroquine-based Therapy in COVID-19 Patients in Ambulatory Care Settings: A Nationwide Prospective Cohort Study

Observational prospective 5,541 patients, adjusted HC Q mortality OR 0.36, p = 0.012, adjusted hospitalization OR 0.57, p < 0.001 (~
477,206 potential lives saved with global HC Q). Zinc supplementation was used in all cases. Early treatment in ambulatory fever clinics in Saudi Arabia.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.09.09.20184143v1

You have to view the PDF to see the full details. (Preview PDF button is listed in article)

CONCLUSION: Early intervention with HCQ - based therapy in patients with mild to
moderate symptoms at presentation is associated with lower adverse clinical outcomes among COVID-19 patients, including hospital admissions, ICU admission, and/or death

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
medrxiv.org publishes preprints, meaning that study isnt peer reviewed yet, but this one does not have the issue the iranian study has. (Case mortality rate of about 1% vs 2% after treatment). But it has the issue of being saudi arabia. ;)

Data quality?

Part of the study says HC Q is so great, because you can send people home with it and dont have to hospitalize them (?!).

The current study is an observational prospective cohort rather than an interventional trial. The decision to prescribe HCQ or not was purely at the providers discretion in agreement with the patients after assessing and discussing the risks and benefits of the therapy. Based on the best available evidence at the time, the Saudi Ministry of Health released a treatment guideline recommendation which listed HCQ as a treatment option in mild to moderate presentations of COVID-19.

edit: Also this:

Median age germany: 45.9 years
Median age saudi arabia: 30 years

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: Deleted User

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, this is the first time I've heard about this, but I think it could be a breakthrough in the fight against covid.
Lol, we've got actual vaccines now. The FDA hasn't even re-approved HCQ for treatment of COVID since they revoked its approval much earlier this year.

magicbob93

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Some (and when I say some, I mean medical staff, scientists, etcetera) say it does work as premature treatment. Some say it doesnt.
This medicine in particular has been very politicized here in Brazil, so it's hard to know if it really works or not.

In my particular opinion, I prefer to wait a trustyworthy vaccine.

scroeffie1984

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
first dont atack me please ,but this whole corona thing is 1 big world wide scamm ,if you by now stil dont know what realy is going on ,than you are realy lost :) this world is ruled by a satanic pedo cult ,they want to controll the whole planet ,fear is a powerfull and cheap weapon ,a television is nothing more than a mind control device there is even a patent on google / thats wy its called a tel a vision and on there are programs to program you ! dig and you find answers <coca cola tested positive for corona lol
oh en the word virus comes from the latin 14e century and means poison off a virus is not a bug that is somewhere to get you .they are a healthy thing .but hey what do i know
much love

UltraSUPRA

[title removed by staff]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
first dont atack me please ,but this whole corona thing is 1 big world wide scamm ,if you by now stil dont know what realy is going on ,than you are realy lost :) this world is ruled by a satanic pedo cult ,they want to controll the whole planet ,fear is a powerfull and cheap weapon ,a television is nothing more than a mind control device there is even a patent on google / thats wy its called a tel a vision and on there are programs to program you ! dig and you find answers <coca cola tested positive for corona lol
oh en the word virus comes from the latin 14e century and means poison off a virus is not a bug that is somewhere to get you .they are a healthy thing .but hey what do i know
much love
One part of me agrees with you. The other feels like this is sarcasm.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Y @ YuseiFD: :creep: