• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Is hydroxycloroquine really efficient at treating covid-19?

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States

FGFlann

Trophies
XP
Country
How's everyone enjoying the statistics dance? Going back and forth from study to study making opposing claims is wild. Whether it's pro or anti you're better off being skeptical of everything you hear because this isn't going to be settled for a long time.

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
How's everyone enjoying the statistics dance? Going back and forth from study to study making opposing claims is wild. Whether it's pro or anti you're better off being skeptical of everything you hear because this isn't going to be settled for a long time.

I think it comes from a good place. People want there to be some hope so people don't have to die and we can return to something more normal.

FGFlann

Trophies
XP
Country
I think it comes from a good place. People want there to be some hope so people don't have to die and we can return to something more normal.
Why coddle them? People are going to die, that's just how it is. Life has to go on regardless. Our response has been way too sensational already. There's no miracle cure incoming, the in development vaccines are the best we're going to get. Loss of life is sad but we should keep some perspective, it's not the end of the world by a long shot.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
Why coddle them? People are going to die, that's just how it is. Life has to go on regardless. Our response has been way too sensational already. There's no miracle cure incoming, the in development vaccines are the best we're going to get. Loss of life is sad but we should keep some perspective, it's not the end of the world by a long shot.

Oh I agree; I've been against the lock downs and most thing we have done since day one. I agree but I do understand the other side.

Just wear a mask and protect yourself as best as you can.

Reactions: FGFlann

FGFlann

Trophies
XP
Country
Oh I agree; I've been against the lock downs and most thing we have done since day one. I agree but I do understand the other side.

Just wear a mask and protect yourself as best as you can.
Pretty much. Minimizing human contact minimizes your risk. All the hullabaloo over masks and medications is just useless noise next to a simple truth. Social distance sensibly.

ecko

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So far I've heard, maybe. But could be more dangerous than getting infected.

Last edited by ecko,

SG854

Hail Mary
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
*sigh*

Okay, I'm not going to bother with this shit and be frank about it: Donald Trump has been very vocal about the stuff. If it worked, you wouldn't have had the current death toll. But you do.

Ergo: the WHO was right. Trump was wrong.

/leaves
That's the thing, they claim we haven't been using it which is why we have the current death toll, and countries that do have low death rates. So you are not getting at their core argument and they will write off your comment as whatever.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

We need an aggregate of all the studies for and against to see the overall which is correct, and ones that include zinc, because if we don't Include ones that used zinc then they will say those studies are flawed.

Maybe we should make a vaccine using alien DNA and demon sperm.
Apparently there's someone that believes Sperm is the miracle drug against Corona Virus. So your idea of someone actually using sperm is not all that out there in the real world called life, but without the demon or alien part. But she might be a demon alien for all we know. She's stockpiling on frozen seemen for the long fight ahead against corona virus on a planet called Earth, where of course earthly diseases is a problem for a demon alien like her.

Last edited by SG854,

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
That's the thing, they claim we haven't been using it which is why we have the current death toll, and countries that do have low death rates. So you are not getting at their core argument and they will write off your comment as whatever.
The "they" you're refering to has a trustworthy level in the negative digits. So when "they" make claims, it's up to you to believe their lies or not (free country and all). I'm not trying to get to "their core argument" (whatever that may be)...I'm just calling bullshit.

PizzaBitez

Shadow Clone Justu.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
]

9 articles out of maybe 80 or 90 studies? I think the 1896 one one is just establishing Quinine as being associated that early with respiratory.

Covid-19 is a cornavirus, and the first article in 2003 talks about CQ's effects on several viruses

The other 7 articles in the 2000's are dealing with Choloroquine effects on SARS viruses witch are also cronaviruses, like covid-19

I am guessing the point is that some form of chloroquine has documented results as recently as 2004 has having a positive effect on viruses, specifically cornaviruses.

To others regarding https://c19study.com/

As far as I am concerned I don't see it as propaganda, if you can prove that the over 39 studies on there that were positive that most were peer reviewed are fake, then maybe. It lists both negative and positive findings. The positive outweigh the negatives. And many of the negatives seem to be negative because it was given too late.

My understanding is some variation of this has been given to people for 60+ years safely. It is freely available in countries where malaria is common. My understanding over the counter in some places.

People like to site the FDA as finding problems with this. If chloroquine has been being taken for over 60 years safely by large parts of the world then that already contradicts the FDA findings to some degree in my opinion. 60 year real-world use vs the FDA searching the FAERS database (covering a 6 month time frame) after the fact does not seem perfect. Especially when we come to find how much error has occurred during this in hospitals when it comes to Covid. There are many people even in the US that take it without issue. I know people with RA take some form of it.

If you look at the FDA report there is a WIDE spread of the dosage amount given to users. Anywhere from 200mg to 1200mg per day. Maybe it needs to be more refined study?

You have doctors claiming they prescribe it without issue and prescribed early have had excellent success. I have no idea what the dosage has been for the doctors that claim success but it seems odd to me that the FDA would be so wide in dosage in their search findings. 1200mg per day vs 200mg per day seems drastically different. I also don't see a correlation between problems found and dosage levels.

Also I see from the FDA report they only have data on 256 people from this DB search they based their report on. How many total were treated? I can't find those #'s.

You've got a bunch of good points there!

SG854

Hail Mary
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
nanomachines, son
That's the secret to life, sperm. They are nanomachines produced for free by Men and only Men because Men are the cure for all of life's dieaseses unlike Women who are useless spermless beings. We would be saving lots of lives with this miracle gift inside a Man's ball sack.

The "they" you're refering to has a trustworthy level in the negative digits. So when "they" make claims, it's up to you to believe their lies or not (free country and all). I'm not trying to get to "their core argument" (whatever that may be)...I'm just calling bullshit.
Well they will just ignore you then. They are immune to the word bullshit which means nothing to them until you get to their core argument.

FGFlann

Trophies
XP
Country
We need an aggregate of all the studies for and against to see the overall which is correct, and ones that include zinc, because if we don't Include ones that used zinc then they will say those studies are flawed.
I can't imagine that aggregating the results of studies is going to be particularly fruitful either. The methodology also needs to be taken into account along with the conclusion and I've seen enough shady use of data to make me wary of any study that's put in front of me.

I'm beyond caring at this point in any case. This debacle of a political football is only being continually regurgitated for point scoring, and in the absence of another potential treatment there's really no point in us plebs continuing to revisit it. The things we actually have control over, like our personal safety, are more important to focus on.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Well they will just ignore you then. They are immune to the word bullshit which means nothing to them until you get to their core argument.
Hah, I wish. It's worse: he fucking WANTS controversy. I bet that if a renowned team had done serious research into hydroxycloroquine, methodologically and empirically tested out stuff and allowed for scientific peer reviews so they could absolutely claim that DID help against covid-19...then Trump would have ignored it and created some other controversy (offering state secrets...updating the constitution...basically anything a B-movie villain would come up with). From what I gathered on social media(1), he isn't exactly keen on defending his stance either.

EDIT: oops...I guess I was accidentally writing satire instead of sarcasm there...because the latest controversy (as of writing) is to remove US troops from Germany (thanks @ChibiMofo for the source). So this dumpster fired is already quelled by the next one. :P

(1): meaning: the tidbits that show him talking about the stuff...again

Last edited by Taleweaver,

omgcat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't imagine that aggregating the results of studies is going to be particularly fruitful either. The methodology also needs to be taken into account along with the conclusion and I've seen enough shady use of data to make me wary of any study that's put in front of me.

I'm beyond caring at this point in any case. This debacle of a political football is only being continually regurgitated for point scoring, and in the absence of another potential treatment there's really no point in us plebs continuing to revisit it. The things we actually have control over, like our personal safety, are more important to focus on.

hydroxy is awful, there are other treatments in the pipeline. the most exciting one for me is monoclonal antibody production. monoclonal antibodies are a treatment, but do not confer immunity like vaccines. closer to antibiotics than anything else. https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2767383

monoclonal antibodies were used during the Ebola outbreak and reduced the standard mortality rate of 75-90% down to around 10%.
some info can be found here: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe1915350

there are also a bunch of vaccines coming around the corner and even if a single vaccine doesn't work perfectly, we have the ability to bundle them like the flu vaccines do.

UltraSUPRA

[title removed by staff]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I HAVE MORE MEMES

FBIMG1596056427439.jpg

FGFlann

Trophies
XP
Country
hydroxy is awful, there are other treatments in the pipeline. the most exciting one for me is monoclonal antibody production. monoclonal antibodies are a treatment, but do not confer immunity like vaccines. closer to antibiotics than anything else. https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2767383

monoclonal antibodies were used during the Ebola outbreak and reduced the standard mortality rate of 75-90% down to around 10%.
some info can be found here: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe1915350

there are also a bunch of vaccines coming around the corner and even if a single vaccine doesn't work perfectly, we have the ability to bundle them like the flu vaccines do.
I hope that it can be useful if it becomes available.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's a pretty long excerpt from this article that you should read:
Amid growing evidence the drug is not effective, the FDA announced in June that it had revoked the EUA for the drugs because they are “unlikely to be effective in treating COVID-19 for the authorized uses in the EUA,” and that the “known and potential benefits” of the drugs “no longer outweigh” the risks — which can include “serious cardiac adverse events and other potential serious side effects.”

A large randomized controlled study called RECOVERY, in the U.K., reported in a preprint, which hasn’t been peer-reviewed, that hydroxychloroquine wasn’t associated with reduced mortality — and was actually associated with “an increased length of hospital stay and increased risk of progressing to invasive mechanical ventilation or death.” The study said that 26.8% of the 1,561 patients given hydroxychloroquine died within 28 days, whereas 25% of patients given usual care died in that time span — a difference that was not statistically significant.

The authors wrote that “these results indicate that hydroxychloroquine is not an effective treatment for patients hospitalized with COVID-19.”

Another study published July 16 in the Annals of Internal Medicine — a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial that involved more than 400 participants — found that “hydroxychloroquine did not substantially reduce symptom severity in outpatients with early, mild COVID-19.”

There was one observational study by the Henry Ford Health System, published in the International Journal of Infectious Diseases on July 1, that found hydroxychloroquine was associated with lower mortality for patients hospitalized with COVID-19. But, as we’ve explained before, the study has limitations — and it stands in contrast to multiple randomized controlled trials that have found the drug is not beneficial to hospitalized patients (and two other observational studies).

During the press conference, Immanuel also claimed that a 2005 study “said it works.”

That study — which found that “[c]hloroquine is effective in preventing the spread of SARS-CoV in cell culture” — “is no evidence at all that it’s a cure for COVID,” Schluger said.

“That was a different coronavirus; that was the coronavirus that causes SARS,” he said. Secondly, he said, the study involved cells in test tubes. Potential drugs are evaluated in test tubes, then in animals, before they move into the three phases of clinical human trials, he said — and 90% of drug candidates that make it to human trials fail because they aren’t effective or aren’t safe.

A study in a test tube involving a different virus, Schluger added, is “not how the FDA approves drugs.”

Multiple tests have shown that Hydroxychloroquine simply doesn't work.

This article you cited is not peer-reviewed, I would not trust it. Plus it only states "hydroxychloroquine may play a role in therapeutic management for COVID-19." Not only does it not definitively state whether or not hydroxychloroquine is even effective, it certainly doesn't call hydroxychloroquine a "cure".

And this article you cited is from the Association of American Physicians and Surgeons, a conservative non-profit. They also claim that HIV does not cause AIDS, that being gay reduces life expectancy, that there is a link between abortion and breast cancer, and that there is a causal relationship between vaccines and autism. Not a good resource either.

So, yes, you are correct that these "doctors" are being censored, but that's for good reason. It's because they're wrong. It has been proven multiple times that hydroxychloroquine is not a cure, to suggest otherwise is simply wrong and dangerous.
i agree no efficacy but vaccine do cause autism among other things mostly neurological

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I thought I saw a puttie snatch...