Is it possible to charge a 3DS battery via a DSi motherboard?

Arlisbloxer05

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
arlisbloxer005.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Canada
This is probably going to be the DUMBEST question anyone's seen on the board this week, and I can already tell some of you are currently fusing your hand onto your forehead before cursing me into the absolute abyss but just hear me out on this one, and then you can judge accordingly.

Recently I wanted to play my 3DS but unfortunately I seem to have forgotten that my 3DS's charger port was entirely flummoxed due to a poor soldering job from the factory that would bite me in the rear 6 years later or so, hell not even the charging dock worked and when I opened it, it practically fell off the board (Here's an image to show just how bad it was. This wasn't my poor attempt at replacing it or anything, this is factory original.)

Now obviously the best course of action here would be to replace the port with either a new one from a charging dock or even get a little spicy with it and go for something like Mini USB or USB-C. Unfortunately I don't exactly live in a house where I could just turn on a soldering iron and have all the fumes go on it's merry little way out the window. That, and it's gotten colder up here so it'd be quite chilly with all the windows open to say the least.

Then I got to thinking "Well, the DSi could probably charge it if I took off the back of it so it could fit." Which isn't entirely crazy, the batteries are somewhat within the same specs and aside from the orientation, it could work in theory, but I figured I might as well ask here regardless before I go and possibly end up lighting something on fire.

So, would charging a 3DS battery via a DSi motherboard work? Or should I just wait until spring to replace the port and not risk damaging something?

Reactions: Kanakops and IC_

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Would that work? Probably. Though I wouldn't know how to connect a 3DS battery to a DSi without soldering either.
Should you do this? I wouldn't – other than for science.

You could also buy an external charger for rectangular li-ion batteries. There are devices with adjustable connectors.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo