Hacking Is it possible to edit textures in a gamecube iso to make them low-res?

GoldenSun3DS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've seen people edit textures in gamecube and Wii games to replace them with high-res versions, but what about doing this same process to replace them with low-res versions?

My reason for wanting to do this would be to speed up emulation on weaker computers. I've noticed that (on my computer) in spyro enter the dragonfly on gamecube, the game runs considerably faster while I'm facing a wall (around 15-20 fps). But when I face away from it, the game runs at around 4-6 fps.

I used "Gamecube ISO Tool" to extract all the files from my Spyro:EtD iso into a format that even simple windows explorer can read the files.
However, I don't know which files are the textures.

Can somebody please explain to me how to edit the textures to create low-res versions of them?

GoldenSun3DS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, I figured it out myself. I downloaded a high-res SMS texture pack for Dolphin and tested shrinking the title texture to 25% of its full size and it worked.
Now I just need to do this to all of the textures...
I can't tell if it'll speed it up until I finish all of the textures though.

Reactions: Celice

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It would depend upon how you are doing it. If you are straight removing the textures from within the game's own loading setup then it may improve things if textures and their animations are the problem. If you are just doing the equivalent of downscale-upscale and leaving the same technical resolution (400x400 say) like some do for artistic reasons (makes it look like an older game) then it is not going to make a lot of odds. If you are forcing it to use a lower resolution version then maybe if textures are the problem/a significant component of the load.

Equally GC and wii emulation requirements have gone from tip top machine in 2013 to fairly pedestrian machine today.

GoldenSun3DS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did it speed up your computer? Not trying to bump an old post.

Wow this is old. I forgot about this.
But, no, it didn't. This was in 2013, so that means this was on my old Celeron laptop. I never tested it with Spyro (didn't find texture packs for it) but there was no improvement in performance when I used the edited HD texture packs in Super Mario Sunshine.

Solution: just get a better computer. Even the tablet CPU (Atom x7-z8700) in the GPD Win is enough for full speed GC emulation with a lot of games. Basically any modern desktop Intel or Ryzen CPU should do pretty good in Dolphin.

In hindsight, I doubt decreasing the texture size would help performance. If VRAM speed is the bottleneck, the CPU (assuming integrated graphics, which uses system RAM for VRAM) is probably too weak to run it.

The method of replacing textures I used (HD texture packs edited in MS Paint) probably just replaced them between displaying it. So that wouldn't even improve performance even if RAM speed was somehow your bottleneck because it's still doing the work of rendering the normal textures and just displaying something else (assuming that's how the HD texture packs work).

Reactions: 3DDXD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaQqCfuxKoE