Hacking Question Is it possible to port horizon os to tegra x1?

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Without Source Code you would need a big team to reverse engineer it. Android and Linux are open source, so porting is possible from the start.

Last edited by masagrator,

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
No. While the code itself will run fine on a stock X1 the hardware surrounding it is completely different. You need the source to port it. You see above ^ what happens if you just blindly run code for a different device on another one.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No. While the code itself will run fine on a stock X1 the hardware surrounding it is completely different. You need the source to port it. You see above ^ what happens if you just blindly run code for a different device on another one.

You don't need the source to port it, but it might help as it's not like there is a document on the driver interfaces. I'm sure some mocks and shims would get you quite far pretty quickly if you knew what you were doing and spent a load of time on it.

However the shield only has 2gb of ram, so it may not run very many games & it makes it relatively boring to even try.

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
You have to replace many drivers to make it run at all. That's the main problem. For example the PMIC driver. Using the wrong one from the switch may cause permanent damage (fail0verflow fried a LCD panel just by using the wrong voltage settings accidentally). It would be horribly broken and not worth the effort when many games will not run anyway due to differences like RAM.

Techjunky90

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't need the source to port it, but it might help as it's not like there is a document on the driver interfaces. I'm sure some mocks and shims would get you quite far pretty quickly if you knew what you were doing and spent a load of time on it.

However the shield only has 2gb of ram, so it may not run very many games & it makes it relatively boring to even try.
Wrong, shield has 3gb of ram. He didnt say shield, he said tx1 which also has 4gb of ram & is what the switch is based on. Also wrong, source is needed. You're not going to reverse engineer. So stop commenting on the subject because you've already been proven wrong.

Last edited by Techjunky90,

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wrong, shield has 3gb of ram.

I don't have one, but literally every google result says it has 2gb. Go and argue with them if you want to be pedantic, whether it's 2gb or 3gb is irrelevant. It's less than 4gb.

He didnt say shield, he said tx1 which also has 4gb of ram & is what the switch is based on.

Right the TX1 is the soc, you don't need to port horizon os to tx1 as it already works on tx1. I assumed, maybe incorrectly, that he meant the other tx1 based system which is shield. But it could be Jetson, which is also tx1 based. I could have been pedantic and abused him for asking an incorrect question, but I try not to be an arsehole.

Also wrong, source is needed. You're not going to reverse engineer. So stop commenting on the subject because you've already been proven wrong.

As someone who has ported many programs without source I think I know more about it than you, so go and annoy someone else.

If you've never disassembled code and then NOP'd out huge chunks of it and added to give expected return values then you aren't qualified to have an opinion.

Last edited by smf,

Jhynjhiruu

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't have one, but literally every google result says it has 2gb. Go and argue with them if you want to be pedantic, whether it's 2gb or 3gb is irrelevant. It's less than 4gb.

Right the TX1 is the soc, you don't need to port horizon os to tx1 as it already works on tx1. I assumed, maybe incorrectly, that he meant the other tx1 based system which is shield. But it could be Jetson, which is also tx1 based. I could have been pedantic and abused him for asking an incorrect question, but I try not to be an arsehole.

As someone who has ported many programs without source I think I know more about it than you, so go and annoy someone else.
I don't particularly want to join this discussion, but I think it's worth mentioning that the top Google result for me says that the switch has 2 2GB RAM chips for a total of 4GB, and the Wikipedia article on the Switch lists its RAM as 4GB.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't particularly want to join this discussion, but I think it's worth mentioning that the top Google result for me says that the switch has 2 2GB RAM chips for a total of 4GB, and the Wikipedia article on the Switch lists its RAM as 4GB.

I agree the switch has 4gb, it's the nvidia shield that seems to be in dispute.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I would check mine but everything's in Chinese :P

Google suggests the shield tv is 2gb and the shield tv pro is 3gb, all I know is it's less than 4 gb & that would likely cause some issues for games.

I'd hack up a proof of concept if someone paid me enough money, it's not interesting to me personally as I have a switch and no other tx1 based devices.

Last edited by smf,
Reactions: Tilde88

Techjunky90

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If you've never disassembled code and then NOP'd out huge chunks of it and added to give expected return values then you aren't qualified to have an opinion.
Congrats, you've ported PROGRAMS not OPERATING SYSTEMS. You've already proven you're clueless to the entire discussion.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Congrats, you've ported PROGRAMS not OPERATING SYSTEMS. You've already proven you're clueless to the entire discussion.

You're just proving yourself more of an idiot each time you post. Operating systems are programs too.

Whether it's a program that runs on top of an operating system, or one that accesses hardware directly, when the cpu uses the same instruction set then it's only the stuff that talks to different hardware or different api's that needs to come out and be replaced.

I've done stuff like this before and it appears you haven't, so have a nice day.

I've got too many porting jobs going on at the moment to do a horizon port, so unless there was money in it then I'm not really interested.

Last edited by smf,
Reactions: Tilde88

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I really don't want to buy this fap tab...