Homebrew Question Is it possible to port Morrowind to Switch?

Csmrcc

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
As there is a free open source engine for it (https://openmw.org/faq/#do_i_need_morrowind), obviously needing a legit morrowind copy, would it be possible to enjoy the elder scrolls 3 on our portable console?
It would be amazing to end having the last 3 elder scrolls on it, like now that we actually have almost all doom games.

Csmrcc

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I understand, but there are already some gameplays of it you can see them in youtube, maybe it has bugs, but also as you say the original one has and seems like the open source is better than the original.
Since i saw doom3 ported everything is possible!

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
OpenMW Screenshots, running on a 2 year old Android phone. :) Full speed.
(Screenshots of OpenMW are rather sparse, because the devs made an agreement with Bethesda not to post screens of MW running in their engine rewrite. :) Anywhere on their site. Even in the forums. :) (Linking is ok.))

Also - as correctly said by AnnOying - a port would have quite a few hurdles - one being the project itself not being 1.0, another one still being the UI - which (in the PC version) still is highly complex - and difficult to port in a meaningful way to console. (You raise font size for text (heavily text based game), you reduce screenspace for the 5-7 different menus that should be on screen once you hit menu... ;) Stuff like that really is hard to fix without touching (rewriting) the UI itself.)

M6du1bI.jpg

ACdSGDr.jpg

8SnijGe.jpg

dCKMgo0.jpg

7Wby0Ea.jpg

K38OKjO.jpg

k5kGopg.jpg

Also - its still the best "modern style" Bethesda RPG by a large margin. (Attention to detail is about 3x higher than in Skyrim. ;) Story/Worldbuilding is much better.) And yes - its absolutely unplayable on an android phone (UI is too complex for a touch interface). :)

Strolling around, like while taking the pictures is fine - but actually playing it - no chance. ;)

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: TotalJustice

Csmrcc

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
OpenMW Screenshots, running on a 2 year old Android phone. :) Full speed.
(Screenshots of OpenMW are rather sparse, because the devs made an agreement with Bethesda not to post screens of MW running in their engine rewrite. :) Anywhere on their site. Even in the forums. :) (Linking is ok.))

Also - as correctly said by AnnOying - a port would have quite a few hurdles - one being the project itself not being 1.0, another one still being the UI - which (in the PC version) still is highly complex - and difficult to port in a meaningful way to console. (You raise font size for text (heavily text based game), you reduce screenspace for the 5-7 different menus that should be on screen once you hit menu... ;) Stuff like that really is hard to fix without touching (rewriting) the UI itself.)

M6du1bI.jpg

ACdSGDr.jpg

8SnijGe.jpg

dCKMgo0.jpg

7Wby0Ea.jpg

K38OKjO.jpg

k5kGopg.jpg

Also - its still the best "modern style" Bethesda RPG by a large margin. (Attention to detail is about 3x higher than in Skyrim. ;) Story/Worldbuilding is much better.) And yes - its absolutely unplayable on an android phone (UI is too complex for a touch interface). :)

Strolling around, like while taking the pictures is fine - but actually playing it - no chance. ;)
I understand :( some day maybe, let's keep it like a dream

fate6

Haha, I killed a Pumpkin!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just going to point out that Marrowind does have a console version on the OG Xbox so its not like a console UI doesn't exist already.
Tho the biggest issue is actually doing the port since i doubt many would be interested.

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, speaking from a point of limited Skyrim modding experience, and not having modded or played much Morrowind on my own... There might be a chance that the UI can be ported from the Xbox version and modified. I'm honestly more worried for proper controller support if this were a thing. Mapping PC controls to a controller for a game like Morrowind is...not recommended :P

terrabyte25

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes it is completely possible using libnx by compiling OpenMW and it's dependencies, however, this has not been achieved yet. The farthest we have gone is to port it to the switch using Linux and running it on there.

Anyway it should be possible, if someone is willing to write a bunch of makefiles for openmw, osg, bullet, sdl2, etc.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Just going to point out that Marrowind does have a console version on the OG Xbox so its not like a console UI doesn't exist already.
Tho the biggest issue is actually doing the port since i doubt many would be interested.
No, there is no way for us to port Vanilla Morrowind, which is propreitary and there's basically no way for us to emulate it other than wine, so we have to port OpenMW instead, but bear in mind it does not have the same Xbox UI in resemblance to the original Morrowind.

fate6

Haha, I killed a Pumpkin!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, there is no way for us to port Vanilla Morrowind, which is propreitary and there's basically no way for us to emulate it other than wine, so we have to port OpenMW instead, but bear in mind it does not have the same Xbox UI in resemblance to the original Morrowind.

Seems you misunderstood, I simply pointed out that a UI made for use on a console using a controller does exist so one wouldn't need to be designed.

It would require it being remade for whatever engine a dev would feel like using yes but the actual design work is done.
I brought it up because iirc people where saying a console UI didn't exist tho it seems those posts are gone now or maybe i simply miss remembered, IDK.

terrabyte25

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems you misunderstood, I simply pointed out that a UI made for use on a console using a controller does exist so one wouldn't need to be designed.

It would require it being remade for whatever engine a dev would feel like using yes but the actual design work is done.
I brought it up because iirc people where saying a console UI didn't exist tho it seems those posts are gone now or maybe i simply miss remembered, IDK.
Oh, my fault.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Wheat flour has a lower chance at survival