Hacking Question Is it possible to tell if a Switch is brand new and unhacked?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 1,627
  • Replies 6
D

Deleted User

OP
One of my friends recently bought a brand new unpatched Switch which should arrive sometime this week, and I'll be hacking it as I've hacked 2 Switches before. Is there any way (except the obvious check its condition and firmware) to tell whether it's been hacked by the previous owner? The seller says that it's brand new and unused, but the box isn't sealed so you can never be 100% sure.

The only method I could think of is to make a NAND backup and compress it, as the 2 Switches I've previously hacked had very different compressed NAND sizes (one was used much more often than the other). So in theory an unused Switch's compressed NAND file size should be tiny, but I'm not certain about this.

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can tell by the fuse count and SN on what firmware it is supposed to be from the BOX. I highly doubt it is new if that's the case it should have 1 fuse on it or 2 at most.

Fuse Count.PNG

D

Deleted User

OP
You can tell by the fuse count and SN on what firmware it is supposed to be from the BOX. I highly doubt it is new if that's the case it should have 1 fuse on it or 2 at most.

View attachment 209604

I've checked the serial and out of the box it's likely to be on version 2.3, but isn't it possible to update the firmware without burning fuses and restore NAND later?

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've checked the serial and out of the box it's likely to be on version 2.3, but isn't it possible to update the firmware without burning fuses and restore NAND later?

It depends on how you want to use the switch you can update to latest firmware without burning fuses but you always have to toggle RCM for it to work.

Reactions: julienbdes
D

Deleted User

OP
It depends on how you want to use the switch you can update to latest firmware without burning fuses but you always have to toggle RCM for it to work.

If that's what the previous owner did, is there any way to tell?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Sysnand backup and Emunand updated with choixdujour

I know of the method but don't use it myself as I don't mind burnig fuses. What I meant was, since my friend's Switch is "new but second hand", is there a definite way to tell if it's been hacked by the previous owner? If they updated with choidujour then did a NAND restore, the firmware would be whatever it should be out of the box.

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If that's what the previous owner did, is there any way to tell?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I know of the method but don't use it myself as I don't mind burnig fuses. What I meant was, since my friend's Switch is "new but second hand", is there a definite way to tell if it's been hacked by the previous owner? If they updated with choidujour then did a NAND restore, the firmware would be whatever it should be out of the box.

No unfortunately you cant tell because if you want to retain that old firmware you couldn't test to see if it gotten banned or not. If you an atleast turn it on via stock mode and see the 2.0.1 firmware then you are good

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    ^^ This :rofl2:
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Deeze nuts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ,
    i didnt feel very well in school cuz there was too much noise for me to handle
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also im gonna redownload touhou 8 bc the other day i accidentaly deleted it (and also try to beat it with other characters and harder difficulties)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Sensory overloads suck.
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I totally get that.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Pro ultra tip: eat a bunch of Skittles or imitation gold flakes before leaving a duece in the shower for girlfriend, makes it flashy and classy.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Lol that guy is funny! Following.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    im back. i had to help my mom with some documents
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i tried to "neutralize" the noise by hmmmm'ing but people told me to shut up
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and i was covering my ears
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Do not resuscitate form? Jk nvm
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Humming will never cover the sound of a fart
    +3
    Although if you can harmonize the humming and your own fart.... It could be a new form of music
    +2
    Maybe throw in some mumble rap
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You gotta practise, and know the tone of your farts, then you can master the skill, young grassfarter
    +2
    A new J Lo song is born
    +1
    Sure it's shit but the live concert, you can practically smell her enthusiasm
    I bet people would actually pay to see her farting into a microphone
    At the end of the concert she rips the foam rubber part of the microphone off and throws it into the crowd a lucky fan snatches it starts sniffing it vigorously!
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: At the end of the concert she rips the foam rubber part of the microphone off and throws it into...