Hardware Is it possible to write roms to ds empty cartridges using 3ds CFW/homebrew

HudU_

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know that DS carts are read only, but for ones that haven't been flashed yet, would it be possible to write a rom to it with 3ds CFW? I have a DS dev cartridge and was looking into writing a rom to it through 3ds CFW, because it is empty/doesn't have a rom written to it yet.

I looked into Decrypt9WIP but I don't think it has the capabilities to write roms to cartridges.

I don't know. If anyone knows of any software that can write roms to empty cartridges, please let me know. With DS flash carts and TWI loader, it basically makes this useless, but I'm not looking into piracy, I'm looking for purposes of testing the capabilities of writing to physical media with the ds. (also I know the R4 would fall under this category but I don't think that is an accurate representation considering it can't load every rom I throw at it, such as the Aging NTR rom)

Attachments

• DS Dev.jpg
    DS Dev.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 591

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I would like to mention that Decrypt9WIP is long dead and has since been replaced with GodMode9. In theory, GM9 could have an extension or script written that could make it possible to write a DS ROM to that cart but it would be highly unlikely anyone would do that. I think someone would be able to if they had their hands on this cart so they could look at how it functions, the memory inside of the unit, if it can be written to, etc.. Otherwise they would be making all of this in the dark and it would be kind of pointless considering flashcarts and TWiLight Menu++ exist.

Reactions: HudU_

HudU_

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would like to mention that Decrypt9WIP is long dead and has since been replaced with GodMode9. In theory, GM9 could have an extension or script written that could make it possible to write a DS ROM to that cart but it would be highly unlikely anyone would do that. I think someone would be able to if they had their hands on this cart so they could look at how it functions, the memory inside of the unit, if it can be written to, etc.. Otherwise they would be making all of this in the dark and it would be kind of pointless considering flashcarts and TWiLight Menu++ exist.
I didn't know GM9 replaced Decrypt9WIP? Interesting, I thought they were separate.

Also agreed, the amount of people that have a ds dev cart is too niche for anyone to make software for it. I just wish I knew how but I know it gets a lot more complex than that.

But do you know of anyone that knows how to edit GM9 to have writing capabilities? I read into it, and it looks like there is a development version of GM9, maybe that could be used for something along those lines?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: +1