Is JAP still considered a racial slur?

Status
Not open for further replies.

s1r1u5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i mean... is this really important? (jpn is also easy to write and it does not harm) let's just try to be polite and use some common sense ...
Jap for me reminds of how the americans called (japanese people) during world war II and that period is definately one of the worst ones to remeber (it was whos fault? doe's it really matter nowadays?)
let´s be united and polite...
My 2 cents exposed...

th3sandm4n

I'm here for the knowledge!
Trophies
Website
www.Websiteofdoom.com
XP
Country
United States
The very fact that most of you people have used the word "Jap" in your replies proves that it is not nearly as offensive as most of the other slurs out there. I'd like to see how many of you here would throw around the "African" slur.

n**** please
biggrin.gif

I don't really throw around any slurs accept for African American, Asian, White, and Hispanic since I have friends in all those races. I don't have any Jap friends (oh no I said it), but if I did, they would damn well be called that. Just as much as I expect to be called, well my friends think I look Persian for some reason...not sure what slur goes with that.

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
hey, I wasn't gonna post anymore on this topic but I'M CONFRUSED!?!?!?!

th3sandm4n - Y'all from Texas and don't know any "Persian" slurs?
??
wtf.gif
??

And btw, "n****" is a euphemism compared to the real slur I think cruddybuddy was talkin' about.

I may be wrong... I'll go away now
grog.gif

ridgecity

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I don't understand why The U.S. is so into mentioning races and skin colors. Here in Mexico we call people by their names or if we don't know someones name we say the gender (boy or girl, man or woman) and if you wanna say something more personal or offensive we say fatty or slim, or shorty or giant, etc. Rarely does someone says something about their races, and most of the time they are trying to be as offensive as possible.

Everytime I turn on the tv on a U.S. channel it's either "the afroamerican won some recognition for his music" " the middle easter bussinessman said..." "the study show that white students like..." "hispanic or latino or mexican people enjoy the saturday doing..." Why do you like so much to divide your citizens?java script:add_smilie(":huh:")
huh.gif

Also, why do you consider black a separate segment, why aren't they regular americans? The arrived at the same time as white people to the continent like 500 years ago, they left Africa a long time ago... Mexicans that go to live in the U.S. are called as Chicanos or Paisanos here, since most don't even speak spanish anymore, at least not their kids, but its not an offensive wordnot mexicoamericans or something silly like that.

anotheruser22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes "Jap" in an abbreviation of Japanese but you can't compare it to Aussie for Australia and Kiwi for New Zealand....

Just look at history... this is why there is so much fuss..... Jap refers to the Japanese imperial army and was also used by the US as a term to refer to the Japanese during WWII to express hostility.

Offensive? It depends on the person and it's offensive as long as someone find it's so. I wouldn't take one Japanese 23 year old's view would represent all of the 130 million people in Japan.

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Hey! Lets get a religious debate going next! Whaddayasay!!!!

We've pretty much got this problem knocked out, let's move campers!!!

GBAtemp: Fixing The World - One Unsolvable Problem At A Time!

cruddybuddy

Group: Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
varpness.com
XP
Country
United States
Thank you dice and sandman for proving my point. Mthrnite is correct, neither one of you felt comfortable using the actual work so you watered it down. Now someone here is going to say it just to show off, but I think by now my point has been well made. This is a mostly anonymous forum and we've been throwing around Jap for days now and yet we're all still too chicken to use my aforementioned word. Case Closed.

EDIT: Seicomart - Don't make me come over there and bitch-slap you.

th3sandm4n

I'm here for the knowledge!
Trophies
Website
www.Websiteofdoom.com
XP
Country
United States
no problem cruddy just trying to help a n**** out. (It feels wierd sayin this since I don't know you and you are prolly not a soul brotha)

@Hanafuda - I'm not really Persian, but my friends say I look it for some reason. But thanks for the slur, though I was hoping for something better. =( I'm really Hispanic (American with Mexican grandparents), yet I'm not into the Spanish speaking, so I'm pretty much white i guess.

Lol, just read your whole post cruddy, you caught me
biggrin.gif

I was going to originally use n****, but I prefer that for my more intimate relationships(like singing along with the kids on MTV), whereas n**** is just a social word you can try out anywhere. Boring church service, tell the priest what is up "n****, preach!". Bad day at the office, "This job is wearing a n**** down!"

Orc

‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Wow, people are still talking about this...
For me, if you know it will offend atleast someone, don't throw it around unless that was your intention.

Hey! GamerGuyDude started another thread about culture and whatnot~ I'ma jump over there.

(I wonder how you guys call us South-Koreans?)

S-kors ?, So-kos?,

héhé

(To get some stuff cleared, i'm born in South Korea, and adopted in Belgium
tongue.gif
)
We call you Zergs. Kekekeke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users