Hardware Is the old 3ds still worth in 2018?

JACK3DS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hi everyone,

I have a ps vita which I love despite being considered dead, but I miss some of the Nintendo exclusives like the zeldas and marios, so I'm gonna get a 3ds. What do you think about buying an old 3ds in 2018 instead of the new 3ds? Do I miss a lot? I want it to play some 3ds like Zelda oot, Majora's mask and Mario, ds and GBA games without expending a lot of money. Also, I want something small and light, I've held the old 3ds xl and for my hands it's too much.

I can get the old 3ds for much less money than the new 3ds, and also I see that is lighter and smaller so that's why I'm asking that.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Original Model is fine, like what @dpad_5678 said, if you want better graphic and processing power then get a N3DS, about that Vita if it under 3.61 you can install Henkaku on it.

D

Deleted User

If it's your only choice, then go ahead. But if you have a choice between the old and new 3ds, then stick with the new one.

Reactions: DarthDub

JACK3DS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
you're better of with a n2dsxl or a n3dsxl specially if you want cfw and ntr. stay away from old 3ds or old 2ds. you'll thank me later.

My intention is to install cfw on it (I don't know about ntr), what are the differences between the o3ds and n3ds in this aspect?

1vanchom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I use an Old 3DS since 2013 and I am still using it... the only issue with this model is that it has a little design issue... when closed... in the top screen it tend to create two marks because of the touch screen design... if you use a sceen protector you should be fine...

the real diferences (but there aren't big diferences)

new 3ds exclusives (no more than 10 games like xenoblade chronicles)
second stick and extra shoulder buttons (there are some games that use them like resident evil revelations... but most of them doesn't)
new 3ds enhanced games (they are playable in old 3ds... but uses the extra hardware of the new 3ds just to show better graphics like monster hunter 4 ultimate)
super stable 3D (if you don't use this feature... it doesn't really matter)

there are more (like snes virtual console... about an extra hour of battery duration... and a little big screens) not a big deal though.

the old model had been designed with better materials and it is the smallest one... if you don't mind the diferences... then the old 3ds is for you

pd. sorry for my english

Reactions: Payoshi

JACK3DS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I use an Old 3DS since 2013 and I am still using it... the only issue with this model is that it has a little design issue... when closed... in the top screen it tend to create two marks because of the touch screen design... if you use a sceen protector you should be fine...

the real diferences (but there aren't big diferences)

new 3ds exclusives (no more than 10 games like xenoblade chronicles)
second stick and extra shoulder buttons (there are some games that use them like resident evil revelations... but most of them doesn't)
new 3ds enhanced games (they are playable in old 3ds... but uses the extra hardware of the new 3ds just to show better graphics like monster hunter 4 ultimate)
super stable 3D (if you don't use this feature... it doesn't really matter)

there are more (like snes virtual console... about an extra hour of battery duration... and a little big screens) not a big deal though.

the old model had been designed with better materials and it is the smallest one... if you don't mind the diferences... then the old 3ds is for you

pd. sorry for my english

Don't worry, I'm learning English as well, I feel you (you have to try Grammarly, it's an amazing chrome extension that corrects intelligently everything and you will learn a lot too by its corrections)

Is the 3d in the old 3ds that bad? I've read a lot of people saying that is horrible in comparison to the new 3ds 3d (which I've tried and it's pretty good for me). Anyways, I don't think I'm gonna use it a lot so it's not a drawback for me.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Is the 3d in the old 3ds that bad? I've read a lot of people saying that is horrible in comparison to the new 3ds 3d (which I've tried and it's pretty good for me).
It's not stabilized, meaning that if you move more than a couple of centimeters the pixels intended for the left/right eye will not line up and ruin the effect
(you can try yourself to disable the stabilizer in the N3DS settings, or just cover the front camera)

JACK3DS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
It's not stabilized, meaning that if you move more than a couple of centimeters the pixels intended for the left/right eye will not line up and ruin the effect
(you can try yourself to disable the stabilizer in the N3DS settings, or just cover the front camera)

I don't have a new 3ds now, but I remember seeing the n3ds adjusting the 3d (like a little flickering in the image whenever I changed my position).

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I've seen a video where snes cias are installed in the old3ds, are snes vc injections possible in the old 3ds? If so, does it run at 100% speed?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I've seen a video where snes cias are installed in the old3ds, are snes vc injections possible in the old 3ds? If so, does it run at 100% speed?
The official SNES emulator is N3DS exclusive, however you can make injections that are based off an homebrew emulator - check out the 3DS romhacking section :)
I don't know the performance or compatibility but it's unlikely to be 100% especially on the most complex (extra hardware) games

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
If you really don't care that much about the 3D effect and don't like the clamshell design, your best choice is a 2DS. It sits perfectly between yor hands, and feel "classic" when playing, something that the clam design doesn't, it even feel uncomfortable.

I have an o3DS, and an o2DS, I play more with my o2DS. I'm even considering selling or exchanging my o3DS.

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah you're fine. New 3DSs are only good for streaming, emulation, and amiibos. On both my new 3DS and old 3DS, games will slowdown (pokemon, story of seasons, etc). This is simply because the games themselves are not optimized for new 3DS.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Having been sitting on a pile of different 3DS's, I honestly don't think the old3DS is worth using these days. It's painfully slow compared to the new3DS and several games have shown some seriously sluggish gameplay on the old3DS. Games like Pokemon Sun and Moon are rendered to a crawl on the old3DS when you get into double battles. There are some frame drops on the new3DS, but no where near as bad as the old3DS from my experience.

3DSPoet

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it's just about the money and coming up with the extra $20-$50 to get an n3DS isn't an option, get the o3DS. I would say, in my opinion, of course, that the n3DS is a worthy investment, especially if you plan on doing any CFW. There are ways to "unlock" the extra hardware capabilities even in legacy 3DS games so that they run faster (looking at you, Pokemon ORAS).

The o3DS is a perfectly capable device. I had the original and the XL and played the crap out of them in the day..my roommate inherited my XL when I upgraded to my n3DS and she still plays it with no complaints. She's not too hardcore, though...last I heard, she was playing Farming Simulator 18.

The n3DS offers the extended hardware and you can utilize it in nearly every game using CFW. The enhanced 3D works extremely well compared to the o3DS...in the light, that is. Since it uses the camera to track your face and adjusts the 3D on the fly, it can be viewed from some pretty impressive angles. Turn off the lights, though, and it's nearly impossible to use as the camera can't see you.

As far as size and weight... If you're going for an XL model, I've noticed that my Galaxy seems to be a touch lighter than my Hyrule. Of course, if you want something really portable, you can probably find a small n3DS for the same price as you'd pay for an o3DS XL.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COua5q4CByg