Hacking Is there a clear guide for installing games from different sources?

DrTV

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am moving this question from another forum, because this forum seems more appropriate. I am new to homebrew. My goal is to organize as many of my games on the external hard drive as possible with the easiest access from the Wii menu system and minimal amount of "hacking" as possible, in order to introduce my son to the games.

I have downloaded my Wii U games, updates, and DLC using "Wii U USB Helper," and I am using the browser hack with Mocha CFW and "WUP Installer GX2" to install them to an external hard drive. Otherwise, I typically just leave the SD card out of the console and use it without any modifications, unless I want to play the games with DLC (for which I use the browser hack and Mocha).

That said, I am wondering whether there is a clear guide (or whether anybody can guide me) on how I should install and play other games in categories such as:
1. Wii U games not available through "Wii U USB Helper" (e.g., wud or iso files)
2. Wii games that are directly available under Wii U in "Wii U USB Helper" (the backward compatible games on the "Wii U eShop")
3. Wii games that are not available under Wii U in "Wii U USB Helper" (e.g., wbfs or iso files)
4. Wii U Virtual Console (VC) games that are available under Wii U in "Wii U USB Helper"

Right now, I am particularly interested in getting Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort, and Wii U Sports Club running, but I am generally interested in all of the above possibilities. In many cases, I have discs.

I am just overwhelmed by all of the guides, forum posts, various software tools, etc., and some of the information seems to be dated. As I am reading some of the guides, they start referring to actions that have not been explained previously, such as "injections."

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I am moving this question from another forum, because this forum seems more appropriate. I am new to homebrew. My goal is to organize as many of my games on the external hard drive as possible with the easiest access from the Wii menu system and minimal amount of "hacking" as possible, in order to introduce my son to the games.

I have downloaded my Wii U games, updates, and DLC using "Wii U USB Helper," and I am using the browser hack with Mocha CFW and "WUP Installer GX2" to install them to an external hard drive. Otherwise, I typically just leave the SD card out of the console and use it without any modifications, unless I want to play the games with DLC (for which I use the browser hack and Mocha).

That said, I am wondering whether there is a clear guide (or whether anybody can guide me) on how I should install and play other games in categories such as:
1. Wii U games not available through "Wii U USB Helper" (e.g., wud or iso files)
2. Wii games that are directly available under Wii U in "Wii U USB Helper" (the backward compatible games on the "Wii U eShop")
3. Wii games that are not available under Wii U in "Wii U USB Helper" (e.g., wbfs or iso files)
4. Wii U Virtual Console (VC) games that are available under Wii U in "Wii U USB Helper"

Right now, I am particularly interested in getting Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort, and Wii U Sports Club running, but I am generally interested in all of the above possibilities. In many cases, I have discs.

I am just overwhelmed by all of the guides, forum posts, various software tools, etc., and some of the information seems to be dated. As I am reading some of the guides, they start referring to actions that have not been explained previously, such as "injections."

I'm not entirely sure about this one but you'd probably have to convert them in a way to be able to use Wup installer GX2 to install them.

These will be done the standard way of putting the folders in the "Install" folder on your SD card and installed through Wup installer GX2 running on your Wii U from homebrew channel.

These will have to be converted using TeconMoon's Wii VC injector program for PC. It's very easy once you set it up and you can find it on gbatemp with guides. After this they'll be installed with Wup installer GX2

If I understand correctly these are to be put in Install folder on SD and installed with Wup installer GX2,

Basically you'll want to find the way to install them with Wup installer GX2. That's how I install all of mine. For games like Call of Duty (COD) that are only on disc I had to use Wii U Usb helper first and add it to a COD game I found through it. Might be an easier method but it worked.

AutumnWolf

JRPG enjoyer, Xenoblade, YS and DQ connoisseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
-You'll have to run CFW every time you wanna play any VC game

-For Wii U games not on Wii U USB Helper you'll have to look for em online as "USB Ready" games

-For Wii games not available on Wii U USB Helper you'll have to "inject" them

-Same for N64/DS/GBA/etc games

Last edited by AutumnWolf,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

2 and 4 follow mostly the same method as normal Wii U games, the one rule of thumb you have to remember is that anything not available from retail (eShop exclusives, VC, DLC, and obviously homebrew in installable format) requires CFW both to install and to play. The easiest is CBHC, as it autolaunches at boot, but normal Haxchi is pretty easy too, so long as you have "default=sysmenu" in the Haxchi config file, simply launching the Haxchi channel will boot into CFW. The other thing you have to remember is that if you boot directly into HBL from CBHC/Haxchi, you won't be in CFW, so in order to install such things you have to launch CBHC/Haxchi one time to get into CFW, then again to launch HBL from within CFW (or you can install the HBL channel, once you are in CFW simply launch that)

Games available at retail can use universal tickets that will launch without CFW. Wii U USB Helper takes care of that for you, but in some rare cases a ticket might not be available for a particular game.

As for 1. you can convert WUDs with NUSPacker. It's a bit of a hassle though so if you can find games in installable (.app/.h3) format to begin with, it saves a lot of effort. I haven't seen any Wii U games with the .ISO file extension, but they should be the same thing, simply a raw dump of the disc.

3. I don't know that much about this one and it was explained pretty well by other people already.

Do note that you can also inject GameCube games in much the same way as Wii games by taking advantage of Nintendont, and they can be played with gamepad or Wii controllers, GameCube adapter and controllers not required. I think in the case of GC games they have to be stored on the SD card, the WiiVC inject just loads Nintendont and tells it where the game is stored. At least that used to be the case, maybe it has changed since. Anyway, it's definitely something worth looking into if you want the ultimate setup.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Oh boy psi posted a ltt video +1