Hardware Is there an improved aftermarket screen for the Switch Lite?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Such things are very rare for devices with a self contained screen within its lifetime. If no backlight exists one might be made but here one does. If a later or special revision of the device exists for some purposes
This might change in the future as some screen standards are increasingly shared, and naturally repair parts make it to the market (or the machines/protocols get shared), and various adapters get made to interface with more off the shelf offerings.

What would you seek by way of improvement as well? Resolution and framerate are fairly pointless from where I sit* so that mostly leaves colours, brightness and latency, possibly viewing angles as well and maybe power drain (a not insignificant component of use but equally reducing it to 0 watts is still leaving a thirsty CPU and GPU gobbling lots. Or possibly a nice glass screen where the original is a plastic. Colours is an option, and might even be doable by binning (take 20, pick the best from the bunch), but is probably going to be a tech change (true OLED rather than OLED backlight most likely) with that also being how you probably see latency drop (IPS screens being fairly high latency almost by default, and much like power concerns I would be curious how many milliseconds are the screen compared to converting it to glorious CRT). Brightness can be done on screens but it is a nightmare mod as you have to take it apart and replace the lights with better ones (some limited stuff for people wanting to replace cold cathode with LED lighting, though some of the fun there also being modding the electronics to deal with the sometimes massive voltage difference), and pulling a screen apart is mostly a one way affair (people doing it to make poor man's projectors fairly often).

I would also say absence of proof may not be proof of absence but you would be seeing some evidence of an installer doing it for those that have cash but not enough soldering or electronics skills. Other than straight replacement most things tend to be highly custom capture setups that others use HDMI or software methods for, said custom work being for very high end outlets or devs that need to know precise framerates and latencies to fine tune things.

*you might be able to do some kind of self contained dock and loop back option to get the better res from docked mode, and maybe the questionable gains of unlock hacks actually be more evident. Such things even being an option with if not off the shelf then minor modding (no code, no crazy portable console fun, probably 3d printer)

On pulling screens apart then for those that never saw it before I usually point them at

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Such things are very rare for devices with a self contained screen within its lifetime. If no backlight exists one might be made but here one does. If a later or special revision of the device exists for some purposes
This might change in the future as some screen standards are increasingly shared, and naturally repair parts make it to the market (or the machines/protocols get shared), and various adapters get made to interface with more off the shelf offerings.

What would you seek by way of improvement as well? Resolution and framerate are fairly pointless from where I sit* so that mostly leaves colours, brightness and latency, possibly viewing angles as well and maybe power drain (a not insignificant component of use but equally reducing it to 0 watts is still leaving a thirsty CPU and GPU gobbling lots. Or possibly a nice glass screen where the original is a plastic. Colours is an option, and might even be doable by binning (take 20, pick the best from the bunch), but is probably going to be a tech change (true OLED rather than OLED backlight most likely) with that also being how you probably see latency drop (IPS screens being fairly high latency almost by default, and much like power concerns I would be curious how many milliseconds are the screen compared to converting it to glorious CRT). Brightness can be done on screens but it is a nightmare mod as you have to take it apart and replace the lights with better ones (some limited stuff for people wanting to replace cold cathode with LED lighting, though some of the fun there also being modding the electronics to deal with the sometimes massive voltage difference), and pulling a screen apart is mostly a one way affair (people doing it to make poor man's projectors fairly often).

I would also say absence of proof may not be proof of absence but you would be seeing some evidence of an installer doing it for those that have cash but not enough soldering or electronics skills. Other than straight replacement most things tend to be highly custom capture setups that others use HDMI or software methods for, said custom work being for very high end outlets or devs that need to know precise framerates and latencies to fine tune things.

*you might be able to do some kind of self contained dock and loop back option to get the better res from docked mode, and maybe the questionable gains of unlock hacks actually be more evident. Such things even being an option with if not off the shelf then minor modding (no code, no crazy portable console fun, probably 3d printer)

On pulling screens apart then for those that never saw it before I usually point them at

lmao he asked a simple question not a full unrelated paragraph that had no real answer to his question
Is there an improved aftermarket screen for the Switch Lite? Googling (in English) turns up nothing.
the aftermarket screens you are after are switch displays wear the lcd is directly loca glued to the digitizer (touch plastic)

you can get one made up if you get a lcd and seperate digitizer and take it to a phone repair shop, they should be able to loca glue them together with no air bubbles

this will improve colour saturation and reduce glare exactly like the full size switch aftermarket lcds

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lmao he asked a simple question not a full unrelated paragraph that had no real answer to his question

the aftermarket screens you are after are switch displays wear the lcd is directly loca glued to the digitizer (touch plastic)

you can get one made up if you get a lcd and seperate digitizer and take it to a phone repair shop, they should be able to loca glue them together with no air bubbles

this will improve colour saturation and reduce glare exactly like the full size switch aftermarket lcds
He very much did answer his question. Went into much more in-depth detail too.

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
He very much did answer his question. Went into much more in-depth detail too.
All he needed was a yes / no or a link to a 3rd party screen like Linux did in the hopes it's improved.

All he did was say it's rare and go on about questioning the technologies he available or go custom made panels.
And binning 20 glass panels lmao.

His did answer yes but the result was quite unrelated to the question and resulted in more questions and telling him to start research and developing his own result at a high cost.

The answer he gave would be the equivalent of someone asking to buy an improved switch

Then him telling them to build the console himself

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
All he needed was a yes / no or a link to a 3rd party screen like Linux did in the hopes it's improved.

All he did was say it's rare and go on about questioning the technologies he available or go custom made panels.

His did answer yes but the result was quite unrelated to the question and resulted in more questions and telling him to start research and developing his own result at a high cost.

The answer he gave would be the equivalent of someone asking to buy an improved switch

If you want to read it that way then so it goes, this however was not a "I sat on my screen and need a replacement" question for which a link might have sufficed. I thought it was a fairly succinct answer to a non trivial problem -- sure there are third party replacements but even if better was not subjective in many ways then said replacements are not always better (assuming not just scavenged from existing units* then failed but still displays something useful runs, ghost shifts with less than stellar inputs and other less than honest methods usually being how a lot of those come on the market). It is not as bad as the iphone 4 though probably 7 era and many of the other than OEM quality differences but still a concern in this if the underlying goal for the project is improvement. I have equally seen nothing too special compared to some of the times people replace panels in their laptop with either a nicer one from the range now rendered cheap or otherwise finding a compatible replacement (and maybe a custom ribbon to feed it).
The binning thing was noting some inherent quality variability across the range (cheap kids toys after all, sometimes a run will come out better) and was intended as a somewhat ridiculous suggestion, though we have seen people do similar over the years -- buy in 20, take the best, sell on the remaining 19 and possibly their existing one to those needing replacements (or indeed if you quality test and can assure people of quality/sell by grade, be in their country and maybe give a warranty then possibly a profit on top of that).

*both ones that failed in other ways and more enterprising people realising you could pull one apart and eventually sell the various parts for more than the baseline unit.

The rest was heading into more fluff territory, though doing a portable console version of a docked Switch with whatever screen you care to use that you can pick for quality is a viable path to improvements for some, but still things I have seen in the past and the troubles associated with them if such things were to be pursued.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I feel that is a logical response. Gave the basic answer in the first sentence or two, and then went into depth about why this may be an issue.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • AncientBoi
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: