Homebrew Is there anyway to patch NDS ROMs to make them compatible with modern WiFi?

JJJJx25

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Title says it all, I want to connect to the internet but I really don't want to change my router's settings nor create a hotspot with my phone every time I play online.
This isn't a request, if there isn't anyway right now I doubt there will be any time soon.

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately, not on real hardware. There is melonDS which supports online and just uses your PC's normal Wi-Fi if you want to play on emulator though.

It might be possible in the future, but we don't even have a stable method of using modern Wi-Fi in homebrew yet, much less patching that into retail games, so it'll likely be a while still if ever.

Reactions: RocketRobz

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You could buy another router (you might even literally be looking for the old stuff people get from their ISP and leave in the cupboard), set it up as a secondary hotspot and plug that in when you need it. Depending upon the base router then might even had a guest option that can pull it off.

As far as software approaches. Technically you could port things to the DSi and use that WPA options there similar to how some people port things from the GB to the GBC ( https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=33121.0 ). This would be quite a serious undertaking, exclude those with the DS and DS lites in the world (those vanishingly small numbers of hacked DSis and a few more 3ds that could fake DSi mode), not really gain that much as far as resources and have to be repeated for each and every game. I am not expecting much in the way of decompilation (granted that is not much easier) in the next 5-10 years either.
DS and DS lite is more hardware locked so that one is out.

starch8473

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Title says it all, I want to connect to the internet but I really don't want to change my router's settings nor create a hotspot with my phone every time I play online.
This isn't a request, if there isn't anyway right now I doubt there will be any time soon.
u just go to goodwill and buy a cheap router
Post automatically merged:

emmanu888

6 years and still going strong
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Post automatically merged:

Or just get a good router that can have a hidden SSID and set it up that way?

Main SSID will show to every devices while the DS connects to the hidden SSID that's only meant for use with older devices that don't support WPA

Angelus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Or just get a good router that can have a hidden SSID and set it up that way?

Main SSID will show to every devices while the DS connects to the hidden SSID that's only meant for use with older devices that don't support WPA

I've tried to do that method, but no matter how much I change DNS, I delete the Wi-Fi settings information, any suggestions?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol