Hardware Is this a good configuration?

alphamule

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meh, they just use that keyboard because it has a LCD that be set to show CPU consumption. You can do the same with general-purpose I/O ports like USB/EIA232 and a serial LCD display if you're into that sort of stuff. Another 8GB of RAM can vary greatly in price depending on the rated speed. Pricewatch.com has street prices to compare. $40 to $80 depending on the speed which is enough to get a game or get a bigger drive or save for later upgrades. Talk about old - see this 2009 thread that oddly enough seems to cover RAM bandwidth math pretty well.

If you have 2 CPUs each with the same MHz, cores, and stepping, but one has a faster external bus, then the one with the faster bus and lower multiplier is the better CPU. For cases where you have say, a 10% increased bus speed on CPU B but CPU A has a newer stepping and 10% higher clock speed, it gets 'complicated'. The pain of it, is that you can have the bottleneck in the GPU or the CPU or the RAM or the HDD or... (It's most likely in the GPU/CPU/RAM) And it may only be in one specific game that you hit the GPU, but another game might hit one of the OTHER 2 limits.

I assume that everyone's seen this site: http://www.intel.com...?select=desktop

Avoid the Sandy steppings and get the Ivy Bridge steppings if you can. For the same GHz, you'll find that it runs cooler and uses less power and DOESN'T MAKE YOUR CPU FAN SOUND LIKE A JET PLANE. That is, assuming that your CPU fan slows down when not needed at full speed (they all do this unless the lowest-end cheap P-O-S, now). I'm sure XBox 360 owners know all about this one, hehe. It's annoying to be playing a movie or something and you can hear over the TV sound system.

If you run a PSU at or near it's thermal rating (and not just the peak rate that the electronics can handle), then you're asking for trouble. The problem is that most power supply ratings are like apples and freaking oranges dogs. Lies, damn lies, and power supply ratings. But at least you generally get what you pay for. A $20 '650 w' power supply and a $50 '500w' power supply - guess which will work better when your system is drawing 350w average and 500w while in your game? Of course, if you see a tiny and lightweight power supply with one tiny fan and another with an average weight and 2 big fans, you can tell which will likely last, no matter what the price difference is. Here's the general guide line if buying a decent power supply: Calculate the HIGHEST amount your system will use and then multiply by 1.2. Get a power supply there and you won't likely burn your house down. ;)

http://extreme.outer...culatorlite.jsp Just for the heck of it, I put a dual-GTX590 and single-CPU i5-680 system into there and got 757 watts with 807 watts recommended. Haha, that would be a kick-ass system. And for an insane build, I got 1200 watts recommended for dual-GPU, dual-CPU GTX590/E5-1660 with 8 RAM modules, 4 15K RPM drives, liquid cooling, and both a RAM SSD and Flash SSD. Too bad the calculator doesn't cover the newer stuff but it is pretty easy to use.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
CPU fan? What CPU fan? I've just got a CPU liquid pump and the radiator is hooked up to one of the two 120mm exhaust fans (closed loop so no reservoir).
Oh right, you mean stock CPU fans? Yeah those can be loud. That's why I keep having to replace them when I visit people with after-market CPU fans that are cooler and quieter. Arctic Freezer anybody?

I won't comment on the CPU and PSU anymore - I don't feel like reiterating myself and hijacking the thread.

benno300

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well I think I'll be going with my last configuration, is it smart to take an aftermarket cpu cooler for this configuration?
Thank you guys for all your help! :D

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
An aftermarket cooler runs cooler and quieter. The tradeoff is that you have to buy it (the stock cooler comes with a retail CPU) and it can take up a fair amount of space inside the computer (some like the Dark Rock Pro are too bulky/tall to fit inside smaller cases). Personally I always replace the stock cooler because the damn thing is too noisy, but it's not essential - just optional.

You can start by looking at the Arctic Freezer series (Freezer 7 or 13, although there are newer ones now available) to see what a cheap cooler looks like, then look from there to find one that suits you.

alphamule

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
An aftermarket cooler runs cooler and quieter. The tradeoff is that you have to buy it (the stock cooler comes with a retail CPU) and it can take up a fair amount of space inside the computer (some like the Dark Rock Pro are too bulky/tall to fit inside smaller cases). Personally I always replace the stock cooler because the damn thing is too noisy, but it's not essential - just optional.

You can start by looking at the Arctic Freezer series (Freezer 7 or 13, although there are newer ones now available) to see what a cheap cooler looks like, then look from there to find one that suits you.
This! Especially those nice active coolers with the liquid running back and forth inside a rather large set of fins. Greater surface area (more technically - thermal conductivity) can come from faster air or larger surfaces. I kind of compromised and got a big cooler with a lower-RPM but larger fan. It is not a liquid-based system like the fluorinert or water ones. It's still overkill because my system's CPU will never overheat. :)

The physics of devices designed to carry away heat is pretty interesting, by the way. Well, assuming that you're into sites like Hackaday or Wikipedia or Howstuffworks. Hot coals that people walk on are not actually 'coal' in a related subject, for example. Ceramics would be some of the worst heatsinks, sodium would be one of the best. With boiling/evaporating liquids, it can... depend. But further talk of that should go in a different topic's thread.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Usually when such a big title leaks the Temp will be the first to report about it (going off of historical reports here, Pokemon SV being the latest one I can recall seeing pop up here)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still like how a freaking mp3 file hacks webos all that security defeated by text yet again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have simulators for everything nowdays, cray cray. How about a sim that shows you playing the Switch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87 cents. Free shipping from China... It arrived it works and honestly I don't understand how it was so cheap.
    +1
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87... +1