• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Jason Aldean's ragebait tactic worked, his "song" is now #1 on iTunes

Status
Not open for further replies.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this vibes strongly of flamebait, but most of the political section does. Here's the news report, for anyone who wants the full, unbiased catch-up:

https://apnews.com/article/jason-aldean-try-that-small-town-video-b164d61b0293318cefc4538206464ced

It's been all over the news that Jason Aldean is being attacked and reprimanded for his music video "Try That In A Small Town". From CMT to Sheryl Crow to major left-leaning news outlets, he has been lambasted on all sides. As a result, more people than ever are downloading his song, proving that there is no such thing as bad publicity.

What news outlets do you consider unbiased and apolitical? In my book, that's the AP.

But what you're saying is people are calling him out for what they perceive to be prejudicial and inflammatory speech, and folks who either agree with that speech or see nothing wrong with it are downloading it more than they were?

What do you think this says about American society, in light of all of the other recent social issues and boycotts? I think that conservatives are pretty much just fed up at this point, and they are no longer afraid to stand up against what has been an onslaught of liberals attempting to control every aspect of society that they don't particularly like. Granted, just my opinion. I am not a Republican, and consider myself to be a straight up Libertarian.

I think it's fair to say conservatives have never been a non-vocal group. They are not some under-dog group that have been quietly minding their own business and just now decided to stand up for...something?

Also, if you think liberals want to "control" things, you might want to look up what "liberals" means. and what "things" means. and what "conservatives" means. and what "libertarian" means. Just...just do a lot more reading, please.

What do you think about what has been, up until now, a very recent cultural shift where the right and conservatives are participating in boycotts, attending school council meetings, and standing their ground when they are attacked in the media? Do you think this will have any major impact on the elections next year?

I honestly can't tell if this is satire or not. Just in case you are being honest here, the "far right" have always been incredibly aggressive with their assertions and lack of self-awareness. You could also probably say this about the "far left", but we don't actually have any "far left" politicians in the US that i'm aware of. These labels aren't a US only thing, but the US's perspective of what counts as "right" and "left" and "centrist" is very very different than the rest of the worlds. not to mention the destructive smooshing of social, economical, and environmental leanings all into one "you're with us or against us" perspective.

And the "far right" has become increasingly less subtle more recently, and those center and center right have been pulled further and further right through manipulation, i'll give you that. It might be helpful to start breaking things down into actual beliefs and justifications for those beliefs, rather than just "left" and "right" which obfuscates so very much in the discussion. If you can discuss a topic without discussing how "left" or "right" the topic is, then you're probably having a much better discussion because of it.

And I suspect elections will change depending on how law makers change the voting districts and restrict people's rights to vote. Turn-out will increase to try and offset the increasingly vocal far-far-right minority, though.

Last edited by osaka35,

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
"They" tried to cancel him? Oh noes :O Did "they" sue him? Did "they" ban his song from public places? Did "they" remove it from libraries and wrote into law to defund any library that dares carry it? Did "they" fire a teacher for playing it in class? Did "they" fire a DJ for playing it on air? Did "they" remove his voting rights? Did "they" change his tax bracket in retaliation? No? None of that? But they said mean things about him? The ABSOLUTE MONSTERS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto