• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

A minor rant

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States

Forced Charity

And worst of all, people who are being forced by the government to perform this ‘charity’ do not even get the satisfaction of having helped fellow human beings in need due to the impersonal nature of charity via government welfare programs. And the welfare recipients don’t feel grateful, because politicians and activists have convinced them that welfare is a government-given right, not a charitable gift.
Taxes wouldn't even be an issue if people saw more positive effects of them in their own communities. The problem is that most of our taxes in the US go to corporate welfare, rather than to helping individuals who actually need it. Not to mention corporations like McDonald's and Wal-Mart which walk employees through signing up for food stamps during orientation, IE taking from taxpayers both coming and going.

Deleted member 114266

Trophies
XP
Taxes wouldn't even be an issue if people saw more positive effects of them in their own communities. The problem is that most of our taxes in the US go to corporate welfare, rather than to helping individuals who actually need it. Not to mention corporations like McDonald's and Wal-Mart which walk employees through signing up for food stamps during orientation, IE taking from taxpayers both coming and going.
Have you ever gone grocery shopping during the day on a Wednesday when those benefits get posted? If not I wonder what your feelings would be.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Have you ever gone grocery shopping during the day on a Wednesday when those benefits get posted? If not I wonder what your feelings would be.
Not sure what point you're trying to get at here. I'm saying that corporations intentionally subsidizing their wages with food stamps and/or welfare is a bad thing. So long as the minimum wage is well below a living wage however, and even below the poverty line for that matter, they're going to continue to exploit these social safety nets. It should be obvious by now that they'll only do the right thing when allowed no other option.

Deleted member 114266

Trophies
XP
Not sure what point you're trying to get at here. I'm saying that corporations intentionally subsidizing their wages with food stamps and/or welfare is a bad thing. So long as the minimum wage is well below a living wage however, and even below the poverty line for that matter, they're going to continue to exploit these social safety nets. It should be obvious by now that they'll only do the right thing when allowed no other option.
I'm saying the exploitation is happening from both sides. Look all the new $60K+ cars the groceries bought with assistance are being loaded into. There are poor people who do need help, but this is also a ton of grifting. I'm serious, if you've never seen it, go out on a Wednesday.

When living off public assistance isn't stigmatized, people won't be driven to improve themselves and their social standing.

Reactions: TraderPatTX

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm saying the exploitation is happening from both sides.
If that were the case, 70% of Americans wouldn't be living paycheck to paycheck. Unless you've got a million or more in the bank, law enforcement will come for you sooner rather than later. The exploitation of the working classes by corporations is a permanent fixture of our society and never punished.

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's so disingenuous for leftist to rail against corporate welfare as the federal government is "investing" billions in green technology.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It's so disingenuous for leftist to rail against corporate welfare as the federal government is "investing" billions in green technology.
It's not welfare if we actually get something in return for it. The investment in green technology is mostly about making the military carbon neutral, or at least bringing it closer. Would I prefer if we spent less on the military as well? Absolutely. A tiny percentage of their budget could be redirected to so many better causes.

lolcatzuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When we're gone, no other species on earth is going to miss us, what is the point of our very existence then?
Why are we so hypocritical? We condemn Nazis for genocide, yet they learned from our "cleansing" of Native Americans and Mexicans. We hold to memory pearl harbor, but it was commodore perry that forced japan out of isolation and made her become an imperial power like any other European nation. If it weren't for the allied victory in WWII, the nuclear detonations in Japan would be considered an atrocity.
https://www.history.com/news/california ... n-genocide
https://www.vox.com/2019/7/29/8934848/g ... rk-history
http://japanbnl.com/forced-opening-japa ... ore-perry/
Is the Holocaust an example of white privilege, because people like Leopold II and the Gruesome Japanese imperialists are basically ignored in western society?
https://thefreethoughtproject.com/hitle ... go-erased/
https://www.warhistoryonline.com/histor ... -wwii.html
I wonder why there is few media condemning America and telling American atrocities throughout the ages. It must be the protagonist syndrome, which happens when one believes that he is the central role of the story, willing to do the right thing no matter what, and therefore is always biased towards himself, and blind to his transgressions.
The problem with America is that he is arrogant and complacent over his natural advantage, it would take a reckoning, like the ones he smit to the axis powers, in order to wake him up and own up to his injustices.
Even though there may be another Obama or Lee Kuan Yew coming within the next generation, their voices of reason would be far outnumbered by the mindless drivel chanted by the majority of mediocrity and degeneracy infatuated with the next big cesspool of narcissism. In order to prevent further destruction of humanity, cohesive and drastic action must be taken by the masses, unfortunately, politicians and media outlets have been hijacked by corporate interests who wish to continue their selfish status quo. We are capable of doing great things together if given the chance and the skills. But at this point in time, I am afraid that we have long passed the redemption event horizon as a race.

We have favored quantity over quality and prioritized short-term over long-term. That is why there hasn't been a large effort recently to preserve interactive art other than Microsoft's incomplete backward compatibility library, why people are all over social media posting highlights of their day flaunting their luxury goods instead of preparing financially and building a positive reputation for themselves. That it is more profitable to act like a lunatic on TikTok rather than contribute creativity of the highest caliber. Jealousy and mockery are rampant on the internet, Near had to take their own life because they couldn't stand the toxicity of Kiwifarms, just because they thought differently from the mainstream, in spite of their awe-inspiring contributions to reverse engineering and preservation.
That is why I believe that the whole world would be a better place if everyone were introverted by default, because a lot of unnecessary conflict and red tape happens when people tamper with other people's affairs with no good reason.

spoilers, there is no white privilege's, also there have been colored genocide's ya racist, can't we leave fake nonsense out of one thing.

Reactions: TraderPatTX

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The Federal Reserve is exactly what you defined "true capitalism" as, and it changes nothing about the way the system is rigged against the working class.

I don't believe I defined "true capitalism". I did suggest that America is not doing it. Do you want to entertain me with your thought process?

spoilers, there is no white privilege's, also there have been colored genocide's ya racist, can't we leave fake nonsense out of one thing.

The white man is the only person, on the whole planet, who is not allowed to be proud. Many white men try to escape this fate by becoming women.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't believe I defined "true capitalism".
True capitalism has never been tried before. There should be a separation of money and state.
If not a definition, I'd certainly call that what you believe to be one of the core tenets of "true capitalism." Regardless, capitalism in any form always ends up devolving into oligarchy unless there are numerous and thorough safeguards (regulations) against it.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The white man is the only person, on the whole planet, who is not allowed to be proud.
There is no "white pride" because there is no singular white culture. You can be proud of being Irish/Italian/German/whatever, but to say you're proud exclusively of your skin color is both ridiculous and an admission that the only thing you have to be proud of is the privileges it grants you.

This guy sums it up nicely.

Reactions: AncientBoi

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
There is no "white pride" because there is no singular white culture. You can be proud of being Irish/Italian/German/whatever, but to say you're proud exclusively of your skin color is both ridiculous and an admission that the only thing you have to be proud of is the privileges it grants you.

That mans voice is awesome. And I do understand what he means. But... that "black pride" have sadly infected people for example here in my country. They KNOW where they come from.

Deleted member 114266

Trophies
XP

Now replace white with any other color and you are still correct, but now a racist.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
If not a definition, I'd certainly call that what you believe to be one of the core tenets of "true capitalism." Regardless, capitalism in any form always ends up devolving into oligarchy unless there are numerous and thorough safeguards (regulations) against it.

You can't define something by saying what it isn't. Even if you are using calculus, you'd need to say everything that it isn't, and then you could only infer. If money interest influences the state, it is not true capitalism.

There is no "white pride" because there is no white culture. You can be proud of being Irish/Italian/German/whatever, but to say you're proud exclusively of your skin color is both ridiculous and an admission that the only thing you have to be proud of is the privileges it grants you.

Both of you are wrong. The fact that "white people" is a thing creates the condition necessary for said classification to endure. Just by having the world harp on white people about privilege forces white people to bond over a common but unique experience, reinforcing the existence of a culture, especially if they see themselves on the bottom of the ladder in their immediate communities.

The guy in your video suggests that Asian pride can exist, but white pride can't. What? I'm not proud to be Indian and I don't specifically bond with Indian, Chinese, Vietnamese, etc over over a common plight. The guy in your video is just trying to define what the definition of "is" is. He's convicted, but he's ignorant.

You can't say white privilege exists yet white culture does not. It's literally the act of culturing.

Last edited by tabzer,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
That mans voice is awesome. And I do understand what he means. But... that "black pride" have sadly infected people for example here in my country. They KNOW where they come from.
That's a fair criticism and I'd say they should probably use the slightly more specific "African pride" instead...but then again there are what? Like ten black guys total in Sweden? :lol:

(Not a whole lot of black people in Colorado either, just joking around a bit.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had one before that, and never had one since