Judge Allows Sony to Unmask Anybody Who Visited GeoHot Site

metamaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is a new all-time low for Sony... How can Sony possibly benefit from having IP addresses of people who visited or even viewed Geohot's stuff? Are they just gonna ban anyone with a matching IP?

Good thing I don't own anything made by Sony.
*goes to geohot.com*

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
The well known fact that Google (who owns Google search, Youtube and Blogger) collects IPs is what troubles you more than the fact the judge granted Sony an extremely far reaching subpoena?
I'm just asking a question. I'm not going to start a heated argument about this.

waffle1995

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Would Sony banned my ps3 from PSN,
unsure.gif

I went on geohot site but never download anything?

(I have a ps3 and both my brother does, so I don't want they ps3 banned because I look at a site.)

bazamuffin

RESIDENT HATER OF POLITICAL POSTING WANKSTAINS
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Mental, just mental. Not sure how they can nail anyone who has simply viewed the video. Im sure theres alot of people who don't even own a PS3 who wanted to put a face to the name and viewed the vid out of curiosity. Even if you have viewed the video, on what grounds can they take you to court?

Zanoab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if they are going search people's houses or go straight to finding enough information to ban accounts. I never had a ps3 or an account but I still like watching these kinds of scenes. Would be somewhat awesome to get searched by Sony when the only thing I have associated with Sony is a ps2 (and a 10+ year old Sony computer)...

SPH73

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What we need to do is find the original videos and re-upload them to as many accounts as possible.

This is worse than the whole YouTube Tom Cruise fiasco. Wait until Anonymous (4chan) gets ahold of this one.

Shits about to get real

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People, stop crying about this. If you have ever had your PS3 online they ALREADY have your IP.

And if you haven't, who cares? If you think for a second that your IP or any personal information has never once been obtained from you without your consent...

Well...

Keep dreaming.

MEGAMANTROTSKY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is anti-privacy operating in the interests of capitalist big business. Simply disgusting.

@D34DL1N3R: And it is just as inexcusable as it was five minutes ago. They have every right to complain.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It seems like a waste. I mean what are they going to do? Go on a suing spree suing everyone for visiting a site or watching a youtube video?
Yeah lets see how long that last, better yet lets see how long they can keep their company going spending that much money on the courts.
Or are they just going to sue the world?

GundamXXX

Ergo Ego
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
D34DL1N3R said:
People, stop crying about this. If you have ever had your PS3 online, they ALREADY have your IP.

And if you haven't, who cares? If you think for a second that your IP or any personal information has never once been obtained from you without your consent... you're dreaming.
Hmmm and what if you are one of the people who kept his/her PS3 offline for the sole reason to jailbreak it? Sony wouldnt have their IP from PSN would they?

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suggest people read the article first before posting

specifically this paragraph

QUOTE said:
Sony told Spero, a San Francisco magistrate, that it needed the information for at least two reasons.

One is to prove the “defendant’s distribution” of the hack. The other involves a jurisdictional argument over whether Sony must sue Hotz in his home state of New Jersey rather than in San Francisco, which Sony would prefer. Sony said the server logs would demonstrate that many of those who downloaded Hotz’s hack reside in Northern California — thus making San Francisco a proper venue for the case.

to put it shortly, show how much and how far the information was spread and to try and get the court case to be held in CA rather then NJ

its very unlikely they will go after you, ban you, ect...
they just do not have the man power to do so

GundamXXX

Ergo Ego
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Joe88 said:
I suggest people read the article first before posting

specifically this paragraph

QUOTE said:
Sony told Spero, a San Francisco magistrate, that it needed the information for at least two reasons.

One is to prove the “defendant’s distribution” of the hack. The other involves a jurisdictional argument over whether Sony must sue Hotz in his home state of New Jersey rather than in San Francisco, which Sony would prefer. Sony said the server logs would demonstrate that many of those who downloaded Hotz’s hack reside in Northern California — thus making San Francisco a proper venue for the case.

to put it shortly, show how much and how far the information was spread and to try and get the court case to be held in CA rather then NJ

its very unlikely they will go after you, ban you, ect...
they just do not have the man power to do so
The issue is, they went for private information

Its like the police putting camera's in your house because they might find something out about someone else

Recorderdude

Musician, Animator, Buffoon.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
GundamXXX said:
Its like the police putting camera's in your house because they might find something out about someone else

Yeah, one time my home had like seventy five cameras installed in it just because Dad was a cop and this guy was killing criminals and this weird other guy thought that one of the cops might be doing it, even though they thought he probably wasn't.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
personuser said:
GundamXXX said:

Yeah, one time my home had like seventy five cameras installed in it just because Dad was a cop and this guy was killing criminals and this weird other guy thought that one of the cops might be doing it, even though they thought he probably wasn't.
I see what you did there
smileipb2.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm half way at my savings for a new move