Hacking Jumping to B9S from A9LH GW & Luma Help

Nirmonculus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello there, I need help on how to switch over to B9S from a9lh gw luma.
I do think I have fastboot gw but I don't remember anymore because it's been so long and I haven't been updated with the scene recently.

My new 3ds boots directly to GW and if I press A on start up, it will go to Luma emunand 11.4. I remember I got Liomajor's fork of the payload.

Should I just use the NTR boot method? And if I do how do I go about it? I have an r4 ds that can NTR boot.
I'm not entirely sure but I would like to keep my GW Emunand and have another separate nand for Luma on latest firmware.

Also, please don't bother with posts that I should ditch GW, I won't. There's no need to bloat this forum thread with your opinions about GW.
Thank you very much. :yay3ds:

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Reactions: Nirmonculus

Nirmonculus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I personally suggest using NTRBoot and using the single system method
https://3ds.hacks.guide/flashing-ntrboot-(3ds-single-system)
This cuts out a few extra steps and can be all done on the system that you are trying to upgrade.
You can use your Gateway emuNAND with Luma3DS or use Luma3DS with your sysNAND instead. This kind of setup does require a couple of extra steps in order to be done
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-using-luma3ds-gateway-on-b9s.431691/
Thanks, I will try this one.

I just saw an 11.7 emunand update online and they it is safe, I can use that after I update everything right?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Thanks, I will try this one.

I just saw an 11.7 emunand update online and they it is safe, I can use that after I update everything right?
It's usable and appears to be stable, but sysupdater always has a risk of breaking your emuNAND. It's a very small risk, but the risk does exist. That being said, it's basically safe because it won't break your system, just do a backup of your emuNAND first.

Nirmonculus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hm, NTR boot method doesn't seem to work. it keeps booting to decrypt 9.
Is there anyway to reverse everything I installed on my 3ds?

When I change SD cards it just starts up on red on both the screens and nothing happens.

I think it is because I used Liomajor's for on booting GW first then pressing A for Luma...

Last edited by Nirmonculus,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Hm, NTR boot method doesn't seem to work. it keeps booting to decrypt 9.
Is there anyway to reverse everything I installed on my 3ds?

When I change SD cards it just starts up on red on both the screens and nothing happens.

I think it is because I used Liomajor's for on booting GW first then pressing A for Luma...
If it is booting to Decrypt9 that means you have boot.firm from Decrypt9 on the root of your SD card. Make sure you have the correct files.

Nirmonculus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
If it is booting to Decrypt9 that means you have boot.firm from Decrypt9 on the root of your SD card. Make sure you have the correct files.
I did not have boot.firm before. I used the one from luma's latest zip. and it still boots to decrypt9.

I think I should just uninstall a9lh altogether. Question is how.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I did not have boot.firm before. I used the one from luma's latest zip. and it still boots to decrypt9.

I think I should just uninstall a9lh altogether. Question is how.
If you're installing B9S you won't be using Luma for the boot.firm, you should be using SafeB9SInstaller. Are you following the guide?

You have probably not installed B9S yet and you have Decrypt9 as your arm9loaderhax.bin, or, you have it in luma/payloads and you're holding Start on boot.

Last edited by Quantumcat,

Nirmonculus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
If you're installing B9S you won't be using Luma for the boot.firm, you should be using SafeB9SInstaller. Are you following the guide?

You have probably not installed B9S yet and you have Decrypt9 as your arm9loaderhax.bin.
I haven't installed b9s, that is why I want to go there from a9lh.
I tried the a9lh to b9s guide but it doesn't work. then I tried just installing ntr boot. it didn't work. I think it would be better to just start on a fresh unit by removing a9lh altogether than trying to troubleshoot what happened because my unit have a lot of things installed not to mention the gateway direct boot I got somewhere during the beginning of a9lh.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I haven't installed b9s, that is why I want to go there from a9lh.
I tried the a9lh to b9s guide but it doesn't work. then I tried just installing ntr boot. it didn't work. I think it would be better to just start on a fresh unit by removing a9lh altogether than trying to troubleshoot what happened because my unit have a lot of things installed not to mention the gateway direct boot I got somewhere during the beginning of a9lh.
What do you mean by "it didn't work"? If you can get to Luma that means you don't have Fastboot so it should be simple to change over. Let me know which step you're getting up to that stops working, and what exactly is happening.

Nirmonculus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
What do you mean by "it didn't work"? If you can get to Luma that means you don't have Fastboot so it should be simple to change over. Let me know which step you're getting up to that stops working, and what exactly is happening.
I followed the normal guide to install ntrboot but it doesn't work, it should go to the checks when I use the magnet and press x select start power button, but it just goes to decrypt 9. I can boot to Luma by pressing A... when I press start and power on, it boots to decrypt9.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I followed the normal guide to install ntrboot but it doesn't work, it should go to the checks when I use the magnet and press x select start power button, but it just goes to decrypt 9. I can boot to Luma by pressing A... when I press start and power on, it boots to decrypt9.
I think maybe your SD card is not being read, and you have Decrypt9 in your CTR-NAND, and since you're holding Start and it can't read your SD card, it is booting that payload.

I would advise checking your SD card with H2testw https://3ds.guide/h2testw-(windows) and using a new one if it comes up faulty (if it doesn't, give it a fresh format), then following https://3ds.guide/a9lh-to-b9s

Nirmonculus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I think maybe your SD card is not being read, and you have Decrypt9 in your CTR-NAND, and since you're holding Start and it can't read your SD card, it is booting that payload.

I would advise checking your SD card with H2testw https://3ds.guide/h2testw-(windows) and using a new one if it comes up faulty (if it doesn't, give it a fresh format), then following https://3ds.guide/a9lh-to-b9s
When I choose a new sd card my 3ds doesn't boot. Yes, my decrypt9 maybe in ctrnand.
So is removing a9lh not an option? Because I've installed b9s on dozens of clean units before without a hitch. I don't why I'm having a hard time with my own unit.

I did try several times by pressing x select start power on, then it went to the luma start up settings. below it says "booted from sd via b9s (ntrboot)"
I pressed start to save the settings but it just went to Gateway.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
When I choose a new sd card my 3ds doesn't boot. Yes, my decrypt9 maybe in ctrnand.
So is removing a9lh not an option? Because I've installed b9s on dozens of clean units before without a hitch. I don't why I'm having a hard time with my own unit.

I did try several times by pressing x select start power on, then it went to the luma start up settings. below it says "booted from sd via b9s (ntrboot)"
I pressed start to save the settings but it just went to Gateway.
You should have the boot.firm from SafeB9SInstaller not Luma. Make sure you follow the guide. If it said it booted from SD that's good, it means it can read it.

Nirmonculus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
You should have the boot.firm from SafeB9SInstaller not Luma. Make sure you follow the guide. If it said it booted from SD that's good, it means it can read it.
Alright, I managed to install b9s now through ntr boot and when it comes to booting it gives me "Exception Occured" and I can't boot to anything else. I think my 3ds just broke.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Alright, I managed to install b9s now through ntr boot and when it comes to booting it gives me "Exception Occured" and I can't boot to anything else. I think my 3ds just broke.
You have Luma boot.firm now? Can you try a more reliable SD card and see if that makes any difference?

Nirmonculus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
You have Luma boot.firm now? Can you try a more reliable SD card and see if that makes any difference?
It boots emunand just fine but gives exception occurred when booting sysnand...

Yeah I tried a new sd card and it booted to sysnand! YAY!! Now I can breath easy... I just probably reformat my micro sd card. Thanks!! I would have been lost further.

Last edited by Nirmonculus,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
It boots emunand just fine but gives exception occurred when booting sysnand...
Is emuNAND where all your data is? If so try doing a CTR transfer on sysNAND. https://3ds.guide/ctrtransfer

Edit : glad it worked. Try following https://3ds.guide/move-emunand so you can get rid of your emuNAND, then you'll be able to just copy the data over to the new, working card (copy your Nintendo 3DS folder to your PC for safe keeping before you do anything else).

Last edited by Quantumcat,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I legit have been complaining about MAME for over 20 years... Hate the way they handle roms
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is a pain sometimes
    Now that they decided to add Tiger handheld and fruit machines.... Newer sets are worthless
    Because who doesn't want to emulate Halo LCD by Tiger when the machine needed to emulate it... Could just play Halo....
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Batocera has some tiger games
    I don't have them on mine Ken lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Waste of the 128kb they take
    +1
    Tiger handhelds are good for one thing.... Occupying space in a landfill
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They make good burning plastic
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Makes me wonder if the Pi5 can play PS2? If there's even a core for it yet.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pi5 should be able to do ps2
    Try Dragon Quest VIII it ran perfectly on a core 2 Duo I had
    Easiest game to run I found
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ps2 emulation is cake compared to 3 years ago
    Hardest is probably Gran Turismo 4
    It's much better now yes but Gran Turismo 4 is still the hardest one to emulate that I have in my collection
    Runs perfectly fine but it's as if I can feel it always on the boarder line of dropping a frame lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I ordered a spin ball couple days ago to add to my arcade cabinet, will be nice for games like golden tee, or bowling
    I always wanted a controller for like Ikari Warriors, Time Soldiers, Heavy Barrel, Forgotten Worlds games like those
    +1
    Not even sure what to call that controller
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    an online friend I've known since 2021 left me :( bc my attitude is "cutty"
    Sylvester Stallone should have played Kyle Reese lol Arnold still as the Terminator
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    TF DOES "CUTTY" EVEN MEAN?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, he is peruvian so it's probably an idiom
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I think it means something like one of these...