Hardware Keyboard keys sluggish after spilled wine

JiveTheTurkey

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I spilled wine on my keys, I can't remember how but now when I type and press down a couple of keys those keys require an extra amount of press and slowly rise back. It's a mechanical keyboard so I'm wondering what can I do to clean this. I already tried dabbing some alcohol rub on a Q-tip to loosen it up but the next morning its back. Thanks my dudes, for your read and help.

JiveTheTurkey

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You'll have to disassemble your keyboard entirely and individually clean every key and what not.
Idk if your switches can be disassembled tho but likely, sticky shit in that as well.
Dang, I bet the whole switch would come apart. :( I'll have to give it a go either way! :grog:

JiveTheTurkey

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure if you can take apart a mechanical switch? If it's not soldered to the board, though, you could theoretically bathe them in alcohol to try to get all the residue out
I was doing that but I'm a bit afraid to short it. Though I was doing it while turned on lol

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can take cherry mx (and clones probably) apart and get inside the switch. The two halves are just clipped together. If they are plate mounted though, then you have to desolder first. PCB mount, you can leave them on the board and still take the top half off and get inside to clean.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can take cherry mx (and clones probably) apart and get inside the switch. The two halves are just clipped together. If they are plate mounted though, then you have to desolder first. PCB mount, you can leave them on the board and still take the top half off and get inside to clean.
Cool, that's a nice confirmation to have for if something similar happens to me

Reactions: JiveTheTurkey

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: