Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ShadowSoldier said:
Are we seriously using spoilers for Kick-Ass? Shit, might as well use spoilers for the first Spider-Man film.

Also, Scott Pilgrim is an amazing film, I'm a huge fan of Edgar Wright.

Just in case there are people (like me) who didn't watch it when it got released. I should really be regretting that, but this movie made my christmas (darn holiday sucks) so I'm not complaining.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shinigami357 said:
Technically, video games are a creation of fiction too. Dracula is actually a bit more real than say, Mario, because he was based more-or-less on this crazy dude in Transylvania (Vlad teh Impaler). I can understand changing some of it if it is for the sake of continuity, but sparkling is just, I dunno, way too lame for a plot device, and more of a "look this is a non-threatening vampire, 15 year-olds" thing. I think the only time they used it for any effect was when he was gonna go out butt-naked (so I've heard) in the middle of some city somewhere, and he'll get punished for it.
The concept of a "vampire" predates Vlad and the Dracula-era by an enormously large amount of time, and contrary to common belief, the character Dracula was not based on Vlad Tepes (except in name). This bringing up my point again, Stoker's Dracula (and the works which inspired it) was a completely new and different take on vampires which hadn't really been seen prior to the 19th century.

Mario, on the other hand, is a definitive character and more of a pop culture reference.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Urza said:
Scott Pilgrim is fucking terrible.

It's basically Twilight, for gamers instead of 12 year-old girls. Paper-thin plot drizzled on top of a spongey loaf of fan service.
You're entitled to your opinion but I resent any comparison between Pilgrim and Twilight. At least the characters in Scott Pilgrim are interesting. I have friends who are far from gamers but still enjoyed the movie.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For me its the first film to better the comic though I would prefer "love interest" ending to be the same as the comics.

Kick Ass 2 I can't say is off to a great start, its just ok but then its only the first issue. I really hope it doesn't take ages to get the issues out like last time.

Theraima

I own this desert, bitches!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
Hey, Scott Pilgrim was hell good. I enjoyed it very much. One of the best movies I've seen in like a year. I did watch Kick Ass last summer, but I wasnt focusing on the movie, so Im thinking maybe I should watch it again. I do remember that it was rather funny.

Shinigami357

Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Urza said:
Shinigami357 said:
Technically, video games are a creation of fiction too. Dracula is actually a bit more real than say, Mario, because he was based more-or-less on this crazy dude in Transylvania (Vlad teh Impaler). I can understand changing some of it if it is for the sake of continuity, but sparkling is just, I dunno, way too lame for a plot device, and more of a "look this is a non-threatening vampire, 15 year-olds" thing. I think the only time they used it for any effect was when he was gonna go out butt-naked (so I've heard) in the middle of some city somewhere, and he'll get punished for it.
The concept of a "vampire" predates Vlad and the Dracula-era by an enormously large amount of time, and contrary to common belief, the character Dracula was not based on Vlad Tepes (except in name). This bringing up my point again, Stoker's Dracula (and the works which inspired it) was a completely new and different take on vampires which hadn't really been seen prior to the 19th century.

Mario, on the other hand, is a definitive character and more of a pop culture reference.

I thought we were talking in terms of use in fiction? Rural legends concerning dead bodies should hardly count, seeing as vampires are known as vampires because of the fiction.

Argh... Getting sidetracked again... Gotta sit by and wait for sequel quietly...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/FdYTKAVSsXY?si=9E-2AU0JN-4hRZi3