Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance Features Playable Cutscenes

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
Am I the only one who isn't excited for this?

I love me some KH, but, well, the Nintendo games have been subpar. Gonna wait to see how this one fares...
Well this one won't have to be as limited, so hopefully we can expect more.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
Am I the only one who isn't excited for this?

I love me some KH, but, well, the Nintendo games have been subpar. Gonna wait to see how this one fares...
I can see why some people might assume that, but it's a different scenario entirely. There's a lot of factors that bring DDD up a notch in terms of popularity-

- NOT a side game or spinoff, it's being developed internally as an "official numbered title" even though it doesn't specifically contain an official number (like BBS)
- There are all NEW Disney worlds, apparently not retreads of the same areas and such of other games (first confirmed one is Hunchback of Notre Dame)
- The story sets up the events of KH3 and links directly into it
- Gameplay system taking from BBS' deck command system, with new flashy and acrobatic combat and platforming

The issue is that the previous Nintendo KH games have been relatively under-played by SE and Nomura. Chain of Memories was described as a "linking game" between KH1 and KH2. It contained some mandatory information, but it was not developed with the intention of a full on numbered game. Most of it ended up being just retreading of previous KH worlds (and some hit or miss gameplay), none of the Disney worlds were even new (and the plots were basically a poor man's KH1 stuff). Days on DS was never intended to be anything more than a side game, life as an organization member. ReCoded was almost entirely pointless, even Nomura doesn't care too much about it IIRC. Only important stuff happens in the last 10-20 minutes, none of which needed a full game to tell (gameplay is pretty fun and interesting at least, but the story is terribad).

Then you've got KHDDD. It is being developed by the BBS team. The story itself is described as being of vital importance and is internally considered on par with any numbered title before it (again like BBS was considered internally as KH0 even though it has no number). The story will set up the plot of KH3 and apparently contain all new elements that will be used in the real KH3. And of course, the Disney worlds are receiving an overhaul, possibly all of them are new (the only one we've seen so far is brand new, Notre Dame). Apart from that, the game just looks very fun to play. Besides the combat inheriting elements from both BBS and ReCoded (can't fault ReCoded for its tight combat at least imo), there's a new element of acrobatics involved in combat. Riku was seen being able to rebound from walls into hoards of heartless, and Sora can apparently bounce off rooftops (faster than normal) and swing around poles for other combat purposes. It looks very epic so far. Platforming seems to be making a return of sorts, or there's more of it now than before. I have high hopes for this because the bar IS being set higher than ever before by SE and Nomura themselves (moreso than they have with other KH games on Nintendo systems). Also doesn't hurt that the 3DS has the power to really nail the PS2 and PSP games' graphical assets and style (surpass them if it wants), something no other Nintendo handheld before now was able to do.

All indications point to this being a departure from SE's usual offerings on Nintendo handhelds. Looks like they're really going all out here.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
So it's going to be like the Half-life series?

granville said:
Besides the combat inheriting elements from both BBS and ReCoded (can't fault ReCoded for its tight combat at least imo), there's a new element of acrobatics involved in combat. Riku was seen being able to rebound from walls into hoards of heartless, and Sora can apparently bounce off rooftops (faster than normal) and swing around poles for other combat purposes. It looks very epic so far.
Kinda' like reaction commands in KH2?

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
So it's going to be like the Half-life series?

granville said:
Besides the combat inheriting elements from both BBS and ReCoded (can't fault ReCoded for its tight combat at least imo), there's a new element of acrobatics involved in combat. Riku was seen being able to rebound from walls into hoards of heartless, and Sora can apparently bounce off rooftops (faster than normal) and swing around poles for other combat purposes. It looks very epic so far.
Kinda' like reaction commands in KH2?
Don't you mean spamming Triangle to basically break the game?

It was a bad mechanic...

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reaction commands were broken yes. They were made in a way that made it possible to pull 98% of all of them off just by spamming triangle whenever you knew they were coming (there were a couple that needed to be timed). BBS had a couple of smaller scale reaction commands, but they were underplayed and based on timing (you needed good reflexes and some amount of skill to pull them off). DDD seems to be taking some of the acrobatic elements from KH2 and mixing them with the more timing-based reaction commands from BBS. You don't seem to have large portions of combat where control is basically taken away from you and the game plays itself. This looks like it was done the RIGHT way.

So i'd say no, not like reaction commands. At least not in their old form. Looks like actual wall jumping and pole swinging will take some amount of skill and reflexes (it seems you can't do them just by spamming the button, it requires precise presses at specific times to rebound properly).

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
granville said:
Reaction commands were broken yes. They were made in a way that made it possible to pull 98% of all of them off just by spamming triangle whenever you knew they were coming (there were a couple that needed to be timed). BBS had a couple of smaller scale reaction commands, but they were underplayed and based on timing (you needed good reflexes and some amount of skill to pull them off). DDD seems to be taking some of the acrobatic elements from KH2 and mixing them with the more timing-based reaction commands from BBS. You don't seem to have large portions of combat where control is basically taken away from you and the game plays itself. This looks like it was done the RIGHT way.

So i'd say no, not like reaction commands. At least not in their old form. Looks like actual wall jumping and pole swinging will take some amount of skill and reflexes (it seems you can't do them just by spamming the button, it requires precise presses at specific times to rebound properly).
Yeah, I see what you mean. I could almost relate this to things like wall-jumping in a game; It's helpful, but you need to time it instead of spam.

Dingoo-fan 32

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Finally... Ilike KH
2617370304.gif
(and i don't have games on 3ds, zelda 3d would be good now)

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Although the storyline was a bit off, BBS gameplay-wise was to me, the best KH game, not so much in the way of grind, different strategies depending on which character you were playing as, and just the right level of toughness (with the exception of Captain Hook, I hated that fight so much...). If BBS would use a similar control/gameplay scheme, I think it could do wonderful things. I wonder if S-E will announce KH3 for the PS3 or wait till the next gen...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :tpi: :rofl2: