Kingston Unveils 1 TB Flash Drive

Izen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys, calm down.

This is not a product geared toward the average consumer. This is for people that would actually need a flash drive that can store such large amounts of data. People like that are very few and far between (I actually can't even think of someone who would need this. Maybe someone who films a lot of extremely high-resolution video?). The effort it takes to make these things probably warrants the price. Yes, we're living in the future, but we're not all the way there, yet.

Give it a decade.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Knew this would happen.
In 10 years I'll have one of these, mark my words! :ph34r:

yup, will be very expensive at first, but in no time, probably 5 years it will cost about the same you see 1TB external drives go for today (typically between 80 and 100 dollars). I really want one, it would be the perfect replacement for when my 1TB external drive inevitably starts to die that I use for my Wii hacking. This one would hide in the back of the device hidden away from view while packing my wii with content and games. Sounds so perfect for me.

Reactions: Satangel

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, 1TB will be like our 2GB right now. I once heard that the brains memory is about a million TBs.

Well they found a single gram of DNA could hold 7000 TB of data I believe. Something like that. I think thats both amazing, and concerning, if our organic matter can be used for data storing, doesn't that mean to some sort of extent that we are a part of a program? Can you imagine where our technology is leading in the future? Is it hard to believe, that at one point thousands of years from now or even sooner that our super computers would be able to simulate a universe? Doesn't it lead to the question of if we can create such a simulation, how would we know we're not a part of a simulation which in turn could be a part of a simulation and could go infinitely either way... Makes my brain hurt. Thing is, even if thats something thats going on, its not even the greatest thing that is going on, just merely a part of it.

Sorry, I think of the universe in very strange ways sometimes, and all these new bizarre advances in science and quantum physics and whatnot aren't helping.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
how do you define a flash disk? Isn't it the one that stores data on flash memory?
Wikipedia: Flash-disk took me to Solid-state drive. In other words, since the coming of ultrabooks with SSD, it seems there is no difference between an external hard disk and a flash disk.

This means, this is actually a smaller sized internal hard disk. Wow we have reached to such a level that I believe the future tablets may store up to 256GB with the correct architecture.

correct me if I am wrong in any of this.
This is flash, not an HDD.

SSDs and your standard flash drive use the same ideas and designs.

It's just SSDs are high-quality, while your standard flash drive is low-end shit, which is why SSDs are so much faster.

This is fast for a flash drive because, unlike other flash drives, it's not cheap.

Back when flash drives first came out it's not like you could actually hold movie rips and such on them (I still have my first flash drive somewhere I think, a whopping 256MB one), so the low speed didn't matter since people were only putting on a few megs at a time. Now with people transferring badly-compressed movies and such bandwidth is needed, but people still expect flash drives to be cheap as dirt... so your average flash drive is built to damn low standards.

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
This is flash, not an HDD.

SSDs and your standard flash drive use the same ideas and designs.

It's just SSDs are high-quality, while your standard flash drive is low-end shit, which is why SSDs are so much faster.

This is fast for a flash drive because, unlike other flash drives, it's not cheap.

Back when flash drives first came out it's not like you could actually hold movie rips and such on them (I still have my first flash drive somewhere I think, a whopping 256MB one), so the low speed didn't matter since people were only putting on a few megs at a time. Now with people transferring badly-compressed movies and such bandwidth is needed, but people still expect flash drives to be cheap as dirt... so your average flash drive is built to damn low standards.

so then again, whats the difference between a flash disk and SSD if they are very similar? i always felt the difference maker was size of hardware and space. if one of these have now become "the same" then its going to get more blurred.
about the external HDD i meant, if there was an external drive that is a SSD then how is it different from a flash disk with the same capacity eg. 256 GB or 1TB

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
so then again, whats the difference between a flash disk and SSD if they are very similar?
Same thing as the difference between a Pinto from the 70s, and a modern Nascar race car.

Both are cars, but one is a cheap piece of crap compared to the other, which is an expensive high-end build.

i always felt the difference maker was size of hardware and space. if one of these have now become "the same" then its going to get more blurred.
No, they were always the same idea. SSDs use flash.

about the external HDD i meant, if there was an external drive that is a SSD then how is it different from a flash disk with the same capacity eg. 256 GB or 1TB
The slow/cheap flash storage used in flash drives is multi-level-cell, the fast-but-expensive stuff used in SSDs is single-level-cell.

http://www.oempcworld.com/support/SLC_vs_MLC.htm
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/ssd-value-performance,review-1455-5.html
http://www.eetimes.com/design/memor...works-best-for-high-reliability-applications-
etc.

Reactions: shakirmoledina

Seaking

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well they found a single gram of DNA could hold 7000 TB of data I believe. Something like that. I think thats both amazing, and concerning, if our organic matter can be used for data storing, doesn't that mean to some sort of extent that we are a part of a program? Can you imagine where our technology is leading in the future? Is it hard to believe, that at one point thousands of years from now or even sooner that our super computers would be able to simulate a universe? Doesn't it lead to the question of if we can create such a simulation, how would we know we're not a part of a simulation which in turn could be a part of a simulation and could go infinitely either way... Makes my brain hurt. Thing is, even if thats something thats going on, its not even the greatest thing that is going on, just merely a part of it.

Sorry, I think of the universe in very strange ways sometimes, and all these new bizarre advances in science and quantum physics and whatnot aren't helping.
go play "Star Ocean 3: Till The End Of Time" and beat the game, you will shit your pants.

but on topic, holy fuck that costs way to much. i would rather get a few 3TB HDDs for a few hundred dollars.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Atleast online