Hacking Kirby and DNS Update Blocking Concern

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys. My Switch is on 4.1.0 and have DNS set to Manual for update blocking. Anyway, I purchased and pre-installed Kirby last week, but worried about being able to play it this Friday on release day. When I click on icon, it connects to internet to check release date. With DNS set to Manual for update blocking, what should I do? Doesn't the Manual DNS for update blocking also blocks any connection to internet? Should I be worried about not being able to play Kirby? I don't want to update to 5.0... Thoughts and help appreciated :)

Onibi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
There are DNS servers which block update servers but not the rest. Potentially with that you can activate your copy without downloading the update.

ALSO: If you set update to manual you can go online normally without a DNS block. The switch will then download the 5.0 update but not install it. It will nag you that you need to install it thou. But when you "hard" power off your switch the update will be deleted.

So please wait for other people to reaffirm this (because it may be different on 4.1.0):
1. Set update to manual, set inet to manual connection
2. Reset DNS to normal
3. Maybe start game game (Somehow trigger release date check?)
4. Hold power long - select power off
5. Restart

Best would be to use the DNS servers that block updates, if that works.

Either way, please get somebody else to reaffirm it here and DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK - or wait :)

And I agree, don't buy digital if possible - also for your rights such as resell ability and ability to borrow.

Onibi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You won't be able to play without updating. It's the main reason I don't pre-purchase digitally

But the copy was released before the update, no?
If he can avoid downloading a game update, the games FW requirement should be set at <5.0?

(I am just guessing, have no experience with the specifics)

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But the copy was released before the update, no?
If he can avoid downloading a game update, the games FW requirement should be set at <5.0?

(I am just guessing, have no experience with the specifics)
Pre-releases don't just check a date and unlock, they usually have an update that unlocks the game

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As of right now, it doesn't seem to matter what version you are on. People are reporting they still have access to online functionality, including gameplay and the eShop. Depending on how long this lasts, you might be able to play it this Friday.

Reactions: HexZyle

Risingdawn

Tempallica
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Setup fiddler, there's a guide in the tutorial section. As long as Ninty don't block the eshop by Friday for lower FW you should be fine, and it's normally a while after an update before eshop stops working.

Reactions: Deathscreton

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Setup fiddler, there's a guide in the tutorial section. As long as Ninty don't block the eshop by Friday for lower FW you should be fine, and it's normally a while after an update before eshop stops working.

What is fiddler? Is a computer required to use it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kryptos86

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't get it either. It's not like you're gonna get it before everyone else who decides to buy at on release day

I just don't understand why people do these things.
Maybe he didn't want to wait 2 minutes for it to download on release day:lol:

HexZyle

Pretty Petty Pedant
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I think it would be wise not to assume you know what other people's circumstances are.
Perhaps someone wants to play it on holiday and cannot afford to download an entire game on their mobile connection etc.
Perhaps someone lives in an area with poor internet speeds and doesn't want to be waiting 12 hours for the game to install

Reactions: TheCyberQuake

Risingdawn

Tempallica
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, thanks for the link. Do I still need fiddler if I am using manual DNS for update blocking? I have Primary and Secondary DNS set to "173.255.238.217". Thoughts and help appreciated :)
You can turn your DNS back to auto when you have fiddler setup. Essentially all your manual DNS setting is doing is going to someone else's fiddler setup anyway.

This way fiddler is blocking only what you want it to, the updates :)

Edit: Just realised that's not what you asked lol, you won't need fiddler if you've got a DNS set, however you also won't control what you can and can't access. In most cases while DNS will block updates, it will also block eshop and online play too. You and as well just delete your internet connection.

Some DNS will have the sites setup to access eshop or online play, in which case you won't need fiddler. There is however always a danger that your DNS won't be on which means no connection, or Nintendo could change the update servers address and it could go through while you think you're safe, you would have to add the new address into fiddler yourself should that happen anyway but at least you have that control.

Last edited by Risingdawn,

SjorsMaster

Ayy
Trophies
Website
www.sjors.eu
XP
Country
Netherlands
Pre-releases don't just check a date and unlock, they usually have an update that unlocks the game
Would make sense considering that otherwise people would just change the system’s date and time.

It’s good if you want to be able to play it right when it comes out.
Other than that idk why someone would do so.

Besides that, the new Kirby doesn’t look much fun compared to the Wii one.
It feels like the friends play the game for you.
I get that Kirby games are easy, but this is an entire new level of easy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UeJincEpEM