Hacking kmeaw CFW... maybe best one yet

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
luke_c said:
So what if they release a new firmware update? The only thing that will come of it is losing PSN functionality, which if you hacked your PS3 in the first place you should be entirely willing to sacrifice.

At this point with the hacking and bullshit thats going on in online games, I have nothing to lose. Black Ops isn't hacked yet, but i'm sure its not far behind.

NiGHtS

Trophies
XP
Country
Confirmed working on my 1st gen model ps3 phat 60gb
smile.gif
now trying out rogero 7.8

EDIT: Rogero working, backing up my games now
biggrin.gif

EDIT 2: BACKUPS WORK! n_n although im gonna have to do a lot of muddling around for some of the split disc games...ah well, im sure a workaround will come soon enough!

ganons

Trophies
XP
Country
OK 2 question

1.a ps3 with a busted drive, (ps3 dropped so no games insert or eject. only way to play is open up ps3 insert game, close then play) will this loader work without games being in the drive namely black ops?

2.When in cfw, can you reinstall ofw 3.55 on top again to be stock?

NiGHtS

Trophies
XP
Country
ganons said:
OK 2 question

1.a ps3 with a busted drive, (ps3 dropped so no games insert or eject. only way to play is open up ps3 insert game, close then play) will this loader work without games being in the drive namely black ops?

2.When in cfw, can you reinstall ofw 3.55 on top again to be stock?

1) I'm sure you can still run games off backup manager, but goodluck installing them to the hard drive lol, singstar pop alone is 8GB+....

2) Yes

synce

だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Comoros
Perhaps the only reason to hold out on CFW is if you can't live without online and need some kind of stealth mode. And thus begins the cat and mouse game with Sony! Anyway I just updated my launch 60GB (CECHA01) from OFW to kmeaw and everything went smoothly. Time to try my backups
smile.gif

Update: Multiman and Rogero work perfectly. Tested so far - Arcana Heart 3, Gran Turismo 5, End of Eternity

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't heard news of this firmware bricking anyone. If it has, then the number is magnitudes less than Wanky's.

EDIT: Though one thing I'd like to know is what kind of measures could be taken to help restore from bricks in the future. I just installed this CFW with no issues whatsoever, but is there some kind of a key dump or backup I could make to make my life (somewhat) easier if I somehow brick later on down the road?

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
FenrirWolf said:
I haven't heard news of this firmware bricking anyone. If it has, then the number is magnitudes less than Wanky's.

EDIT: Though one thing I'd like to know is what kind of measures could be taken to help restore from bricks in the future. I just installed this CFW with no issues whatsoever, but is there some kind of a key dump or backup I could make to make my life (somewhat) easier if I somehow brick later on down the road?
Marcan has an open source NOR dumper than can be run under asbestos. There is no software solution yet for dumping the dual nand ps3's.

But providing that marcan has it opened source, there can probably be a way to work out dumping the dual nands. If I am correct, I can almost bet that F0F will have a bootmii type solution in the near future. They have everything needed to do that without needing to rely on exploits.

I am sooooo glad that I am set up perfectly to do these type of repairs.

Thoob

LOLmonade.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I installed this earlier and played Black Ops online from the internal hard drive - it was an 18.1GB install. I had no problems with it, but a disc does have to be in the drive to load games using multiMAN.
wink.gif

DigitalDeviant

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DeadlyFoez said:
I just read a report of someone getting bricked with this CFW. Everyone needs to be careful. It is wisest to not fuck with anything unless you have a way to fix it, and most people don't have a way to fix from a brick.

so true, some one has to be lemming and test it out right? Not me!! I'll wait it out. I would love a bootmii type program for the ps3 but that might be between wishful thinking and a long time from now.

DigitalDeviant

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thoob said:
I installed this earlier and played Black Ops online from the internal hard drive - it was an 18.1GB install. I had no problems with it, but a disc does have to be in the drive to load games using multiMAN.
wink.gif

Do you think sony will soon start banning people, is it even possible? Excuse me if this has been asked before.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
DigitalDeviant said:
Thoob said:
wink.gif

Do you think sony will soon start banning people, is it even possible? Excuse me if this has been asked before.

Most likely will be a cat and mouse game like the PSP. OFW updates and such. I would actually be surprised if they did any actual banning.

DigitalDeviant

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
TwinRetro said:
DigitalDeviant said:
Thoob said:
wink.gif

Most likely will be a cat and mouse game like the PSP. OFW updates and such. I would actually be surprised if they did any actual banning.

thats interesting, so you would be surprised if they did banning. Does this mean that it won't be like the 360 is with ban wave etc, though I've heard you can sneak past bans using patches(or something like that) on 360. Well its speculation I suppose, sony won't be doing anything till they've dealt with their legal problems.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeadlyFoez said:
FenrirWolf said:

Marcan has an open source NOR dumper than can be run under asbestos. There is no software solution yet for dumping the dual nand ps3's.

But providing that marcan has it opened source, there can probably be a way to work out dumping the dual nands. If I am correct, I can almost bet that F0F will have a bootmii type solution in the near future. They have everything needed to do that without needing to rely on exploits.

I am sooooo glad that I am set up perfectly to do these type of repairs.
Hopefully a kind of BootMii does come out eventually. My Wii managed to survive until it came out, so I figure if I play safe my PS3 can last too.

synce

だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Comoros
lol Waninkoko scared people shitless and also got people to buy new PS3s... Sony must love him

Gitaroo

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
does games actually load faster? I heard ppl say even loading from HDD, they are emulating the BD drive speed.

Yatashi Strife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey if i upgrade from the 3.41 method with ps3break to this CFW, can i downgrade back to 3.41 just incase? because if i can ill test for you guys. i have a fat ps3 with ps1 backwards capabillity

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Gitaroo said:
does games actually load faster? I heard ppl say even loading from HDD, they are emulating the BD drive speed.

I noticed Ninja Gaiden Sigma having the same and sometimes slower loadtimes.

Tried kmeaw, and its working perfectly fine. I can play backups and all that jazz.
EDIT: 160GB PS3 slim, fyi.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The few bricks I seen are people thinking recovery mode is the same as service mode and end up in red screens as with any update within service mode.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know I'd been itching for at least firmware like this... Still hoping we can one day get to where the CFW will allow direct booting of backed up discs (at least PS1/2 for me). Then I could finally retire my chipped PS2 and enjoy better graphics on the games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, watching the first episode of the anime we were talking about last night