The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Well this looks interesting.

I love a good old-fashined closed circle whodunnit.

This one was written and directed by Rian Johnson. He also wrote and directed Star Wars: The Last Jedi, which was a steaming pile of shit (fite me), and Brick and Looper, which were not, so it's anyone's guess how this will turn out.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure.

I do occasionally enjoyed a locked room murder mystery type setup. That said the dialogue and pacing has to be on point the entire time to do it well and I don't know if it was just the trailer there but that is not firing on all cylinders. Looper did pretty well at that, never saw Brick (know nothing of it either) or Last Jedi (did watch the various hour + breakdowns of it though). Camerawork was nice in that trailer though -- same guy did Looper and San Andreas so I am expecting good stuff there, though at the same time he was also involved in that Carrie remake (not the prettiest thing but if it is an exercise in copying/remaking shots then that is a different matter) so who knows.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Right, it only took me three years but I finally saw it.

It's fine I guess. Not bad as cosy murder mysteries go. Bit overhyped.

I managed to not get it spoiled for me this whole time so all the tweests were a surprise. I'm satisfied. Not the most elegant of twists and reveals, but it's serviceable.
The all-star cast had too many stars with too little time to fully flex their stuff, and their characters didn't have enough time to get fleshed out. Probably because
they were all eliminated as suspects pretty early on and the plot switched to the central characters, but everyone had less than a minute in the spotlight.
Daniel Craig's fake accent rubbed me very wrong.

All in all not bad. I'd rank it up there with a better episode of Poirot (which is high praise, you understand). I'm looking forward to Glass Onion, whenever I manage to catch that.

Darth Meteos

Entertainer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought it was genuinely one of the better movies I've ever seen. Incredibly dense and continually has surprises on your second, third and fourth viewings. Haven't seen it a fifth time, but it'll probably get me then, too!

I watched Glass Onion today, and it was also sensational. Both times I guessed fairly early on who the killer was, but somehow they both pulled a rabbit out of a hat and surprised me anyway. I'm excited to watch Glass Onion again, it's got the same rewatchability.

Reactions: Xzi

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I agree it's worth a second watch, there is a ton of little details that you might miss on the first watch.
And in that regard the parts in and around the manor are much tighter than the scenes around town, not sure why they felt the need to include that, it could have been better more contained, not have them traipsing around town.

Darth Meteos

Entertainer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree it's worth a second watch, there is a ton of little details that you might miss on the first watch.
And in that regard the parts in and around the manor are much tighter than the scenes around town, not sure why they felt the need to include that, it could have been better more contained, not have them traipsing around town.
Glass Onion really improves on that by having it be in one place for the most part.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Daniel Craig's fake accent rubbed me very wrong.
Should have gone with the transatlantic accent, although that accent seems to be dead nowadays, sadly. I wish it was still used as it sounds beautiful.

Anyway, I don't like this type of flicks as they get a bit too repetitive and dull for me and instead, I've seen Alfred Molina's Three Pines series (first season, hopefully a second season is in the works). I watched Bullet Train and found it overhyped unnecessarily so I don't bother with movies I usually don't feel interested watching either way.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Lol