Hardware L and R buttons not working right. Fixes?

gabe8273

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My L and R buttons haven't been working great, and I believe it's because of dust. I just modded my 2ds after a few years of it collecting dust, and noticed that those two buttons only work sometimes, and flake out when held down. How should I fix this?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That is not dust, it is worse: Corrosion inside the buttons.

Method A) – Clean buttons
The 2DS uses the same buttons, so this description is usable. This is not an easy thing to do… but it is easy to lose extremely tiny parts when disassembling the small internal buttons.​

Method B) – Replace buttons
The buttons are available as inexpensive replacement parts. For DS Lite and 2DS consoles (both old and new) this requires soldering to tiny points. On DSi and 3DS consoles the fix is much easier with the buttons being mounted on flex cables that can be replaced almost as easy as playing with Lego.

Both methods aren't easy but both should work if done correctly. Do not blow into the buttons. The moisture from the breath might make the buttons work temporarily, but will lead to further corrosion and make the problem worse (this can affect other parts than the buttons as well).

Good luck and have fun!

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

SpamtonGSpamton

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an issue somewhat similar to this. The L button on my 3ds works completely fine, but the R button is only responsive 10% of the time. Maybe should replace it or just clean it. And hopefully that works.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Method A) – Clean buttons
The 2DS uses the same buttons, so this description is usable. This is not an easy thing to do… but it is easy to lose extremely tiny parts when disassembling the small internal buttons.​

Going that far may be necessary in cases of extreme microswitch crustiness*, but before you go to that extent, take off the back cover of the GBA/GBASP/DS/3DS/2DS console until you can see the board and locate the R/L microswitches. Then blast the bejeezus out of both of them with this:

JZxIpKY.jpg

It evaporates almost instantly. Make sure you get the plain stuff as pictured above, as there may be a 'lubricant added' version that has a light machine oil mixed in and you don't need or want that. I have used this method to get shoulder buttons going again on controllers and handhelds for decades. I used to have to go to Radio Shack to get it, but nowadays you can get the CRC stuff pictured above on amazon, at walmart, at autozone, office supply big box stores, etc.

* if I had microswitches that were so corroded inside as to be beyond repair without tearing them apart, I'd probably go to digi-key and find replacements, desolder the old ones off the board, and install new ones. But I've never had a microswitch that wouldn't come back to 100% function from just spraying liberally with the electronics cleaner.

spitzeqc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You may be able to clean them using some 90% isopropyl alcohol (this is a relativity common disinfectant, so you may already have it). Using a qtip soaked in iprop, you can apply it in/on the button repeatedly and it should clean out any dust and dirt causing issues. My DSi shoulders have been working for ~1 year now since doing this, so maybe it will fix your issue as well

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @BakerMan needs more expand dong