L4T Lakka Switch - now with audio and Vulkan

logonav.png

Lakka Switch, L4T edition
I am proud to finally release the L4T version of Lakka Switch!
New kernel, new logo, new drivers, audio... everything is fresh and clean.

Did I mention Rayman 3 was full speed on Dolphin? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

General system updates
  • New Linux kernel and underlying operating system, based on Linux4Tegra and Jetson Nano drivers
    • mainline kernel has been deprecated
    • system features should now be on par with the L4T Ubuntu distribution, except for dock support
    • Bluetooth was lost in the battle and needs some rest to come back stronger
  • aarch64 is now the default and mainly supported architecture
    • arm has been deprecated since L4T doesn't support it
  • New logo made with the help of jaames and the R:S community
New features and improvements
  • Audio now works through the internal speakers and headphones
  • The new GPU driver supports both Vulkan and OpenGL
  • RAM is now locked at full speed (1600Mhz), was 800MHz before
  • The system is now way more stable and should boot for everyone with a decent SD card (no more black screen of death)
  • RetroArch has been updated to add menu widgets (fancy onscreen notifications)
  • Overclock profiles have been updated :
    • Renamed all profiles
    • Added more overclock profiles
    • Added underclock profiles
New cores
  • mupen64plus-next (N64 emulator)
    • The core is full speed, even on aarch64 thanks to the new dynarec
    • Includes the updated version of the GlideN renderer
  • picodrive (various Sega consoles)
    • The core replaces Genesis Plus GX (Game Gear support has been dropped)
  • Beetle PSX HW (PSX emulator with OpenGL and Vulkan renderer)
    • The core performs worse than PCSX ReARMed for now, even with Vulkan
  • reicast (Dreamcast emulator)
    • The core is full speed on all commercial games, no visual glitches
    • The OIT renderer works (better accuracy), speed is still good on 1x resolution
    • The core needs the Dreamcast BIOS files to be placed in /lakka/storage/system/DC
    • WinCE games are currently not supported - there is a WinCE version of the reicast core in the works but the aarch64 dynarec is too slow for the games to be playable (for now)
  • Yaba Sanshiro (Saturn emulator)
    • The core is full speed on all commercial games
    • Yabause and Kronos were also added but both perform worse than Yaba Sanshiro
  • theodore (Thomson MO/TO emulator)
Updated cores
  • Dolphin : Vulkan support
    • With Vulkan, Dolphin runs decently - some games are playable, some are full speed... see for yourself, try it and experiment with different games and settings!
  • PCSX ReARMed : Switch optimizations and CHD support
  • PPSSPP : doesn't crash anymore when closing content
Removed cores
  • mupen64plus
  • parallel-n64
  • Genesis Plus GX
  • Ishiiruka
    • It might come back once the core is updated with the (beta) Vulkan renderer
Credits
  • Kernel and drivers work: NVIDIA, switchroot team (especially ByLaws and langerhans)
  • Lakka Switch work: natinusala and plaidman
  • RetroArch, original Lakka distribution: libretro team
  • mupen64plus-next: Gillou and m4xw
  • PCSX ReARMed: Switch optimizations by m4xw, CHD support by aliaspider
  • Dolphin core: aliaspider
  • reicast core: flyinghead

Download link

The Lakka Switch website has been updated with the new version: https://lakka-switch.github.io/documentation/

Please note that you can't dual boot Ubuntu and Lakka Switch for now (it will always boot Ubuntu).

bad361

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Interestingly the synchronization section on audio settings was just completely removed. I guess it not working would explain why I can't get stable frame pacing on say Genesis or anything else.

Edit: also I forgot how to boot from Lakka straight back into hekate? The reboot option just starts Lakka again, the shutdown option goes into RCM mode. I have hekate rebooting itself already with a reboot_payload.bin in my root directory that is itself hekate.
to cancel hekate's auto boot, hold "minus" volume button when rebooting... also, that framepacing issue is not a lakka's problem iirc, it's nvidia's drivers that they have been promising to fix since long ago but never actually did

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
to cancel hekate's auto boot, hold "minus" volume button when rebooting... also, that framepacing issue is not a lakka's problem iirc, it's nvidia's drivers that they have been promising to fix since long ago but never actually did
Auto boot is disabled. My issue is that when I'm done using Lakka, I want to exit directly back to Hekate. I thought I could do this in 3.0, maybe there was some setting that I've forgotten, or other place where reboot_payload.bin has to go. Right now it's in the root folder and hekate does correctly boot when choosing restart from within Atmosphere.

Last edited by Rahkeesh,

blaww

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Auto boot is disabled. My issue is that when I'm done using Lakka, I want to exit directly back to Hekate. I thought I could do this in 3.0, maybe there was some setting that I've forgotten, or other place where reboot_payload.bin has to go. Right now it's in the root folder and hekate does correctly boot when choosing restart from within Atmosphere.
I could've sworn I had reboot to payload in a previous setup, but I just had to redo my SD card, installed 4.1 and now it just reboots Lakka. I guess I could be imagining things or confusing it with Android, which I was also using and definitely has reboot to Hekate, but I really don't think so.

bad361

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I could've sworn I had reboot to payload in a previous setup, but I just had to redo my SD card, installed 4.1 and now it just reboots Lakka. I guess I could be imagining things or confusing it with Android, which I was also using and definitely has reboot to Hekate, but I really don't think so.
What is happening is hekate's auto boot which boots you directly in lakka. Gavin made that change not long ago... Now everyone (me including, tho i guess i was the first one to ask) asks how to get to hekate during reboot instead of lakka. HOLD "vol -", it will cancel autoboot and you'll get to hekate. You can change that behavior back to how it was before by editing uenv.txt in lakka folder.

Reactions: blaww and Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is happening is hekate's auto boot which boots you directly in lakka. Gavin made that change not long ago... Now everyone (me including, tho i guess i was the first one to ask) asks how to get to hekate during reboot instead of lakka. HOLD "vol -", it will cancel autoboot and you'll get to hekate. You can change that behavior back to how it was before by editing uenv.txt in lakka folder.
Thanks, I edited lakka/uenv.txt and changed "reboot_action=bootloader" and it works as expected now.

bad361

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Thanks, I edited lakka/uenv.txt and changed "reboot_action=bootloader" and it works as expected now.
Well, reboot is (and always was) expected to just reboot lakka, not to launch some other payload :lol:. So now its considered as expected but whatever, i personally like the way it is now more.

Andorin

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi there.
Can someone explain quickly what is Lakka ?
Can you tell me what is it useful for ? (Emulation I guess ? How good is it for emulation (PSX, Gamecube, etc...))

Thanks !

bad361

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
saturn mostly, I've put "maximum performance", I've to do another thing?
yeah, saturn struggles to run both in hos and in lakka..i don't use it myself, only tested sega rally some time ago, but iirc it needs vsync to be off (or on lol, i don't remember, something with vsync), and full oc of course. Sega rally was fullspeed

Last edited by bad361,
Reactions: wakabayashy

bad361

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Hi there.
Can someone explain quickly what is Lakka ?
Can you tell me what is it useful for ? (Emulation I guess ? How good is it for emulation (PSX, Gamecube, etc...))

Thanks !
Google exists for such questions.. go to www.lakka.tv and read what it is. Performance wise, psx is perfect with swanstation, dolphin is usable but don't get your hopes up, a handful of games are truly fullspeed, most of the others need frameskip to be playable (many are unplayable at all). Pretty much anything up until gc can be emulated really well in lakka (excluding saturn i guess).

knightowl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't access quick menu with L3+R3 as of the new update

EDIT: Nevermind! Fixed by deleting retroarch.cfg from my setup and launching Lakka afterwards

Last edited by knightowl,

MG4M3R

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It's Just me, or is the docked mode broken on Lakka's last stable release?

Image keep flicking on screen like if it was changing modes every second

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Inb4 kiiwii gives it a 0/10
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    6/10 rating on steam
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I would like a Predator game "Kill Team" it takes place in the Jungle of the first movie, your team is sent to hunt the predator, using current tech drones and a trained team. Set traps use strategy to hunt and trap or kill the predator.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ill stick with my Battlefield. Yea a predator hunting game like that would be cool. Esp if you can be Arnold and say "Get to da choppa"
    +1
    Maybe Arnold could do a cameo voice acting, he is the one briefing you on the mission
    +1
    Honestly surprised they didn't make a tie in game for Predators that movie was awesome
    I was kinda sad the Yakuza guy died sword fighting a predator lol
    The Russian guy went out like a boss
    Double claymores to the face definitely kill a predator lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went today and looked at a motorcycle someone was selling. I get there and the battery on it was dead, so the guy grabbed a battery charger and hooked it up. He plugged it into the wall, and the motorcycle sparked and started smoking. Come to find out the bike uses a 6 volt battery and the guy had the charger set to 12v. I said sorry to the dude and walked away. I felt bad for him tho.
    Sounds like it would be an exciting ride....
    Not sure I would want something on fire between my legs
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He ruined it basically. Sad cause it was a decent old bike. It would take more money to rewire the bike than it was worth tho.
    Yeah I'm sure at minimum the starter was fried
    Alternator and battery
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Prob alot of fried parts. It was still smoking when I left.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I would've said show me how it rides
    I always wanted one of those Smart Cars with a Hyabusa motor in it.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm getting sick and tired of cheap ass baking pans now
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think it be cool to have one that would fit in my pickup truck bed, then I could put down ramps n drive it off.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Used this one 5 times already impossible to clean
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 I didn't know Sonic serves they food in baking pans.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: @K3Nv2 I didn't know Sonic serves they food in baking pans.