L4T Ubuntu - A fully featured linux on your switch

switchroot.png

L4T Ubuntu
Intro
L4T Ubuntu is a version of Linux based on nvidia's linux for tegra project. It uses a different kernel compared to previous releases which allows it to use features not yet in mainline. Such as audio, docking support and vulkan.

Join our discord: https://discord.gg/53mtKYt

We have a wiki !
To facilitate our work we will only update our wiki from now on in order to avoid multiple outdated references, please refer to the following link instead of this page

https://wiki.switchroot.org/en/Linux/Ubuntu-Install-Guide

Credits

Bylaws,
Langerhans,
Ave,
Natinusala,
CTCaer(most of the hard stuff),
Gavin_Darkglider,
DanielOgorchock(Joycon drivers/joycond),
stary2001 (reboot2payload),
NVIDIA,
Azkali
Everyone else in switchroot - more info on that in the future.

Last edited by azkali,

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yay! But I’m not at home at the moment. From what I’ve read on discord, there may be modchip/fw combinations that will throw messages about the board not being initialized correctly. Anyone here been playing with this with an OLED chip using the hwfly-nx 0.7.1 Firmware?

evil_santa

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you become a massage bord not init properly here is a fix.

WARNING: Be very very careful when following those steps, you **could** cause permanent and unexpected damages to your console if
You don't follow the exact steps of this guide OR perform extra steps not specified in this guide AND followed when not STRICTLY NEEDED

WARNING 2: DO NOT FLASH FIRMWARE.BIN

If you get the message "Board was not initialized properly. Hang prevented." while booting Linux or Android on Mariko:

1. Get this https://github.com/hwfly-nx/hwfly-toolbox/releases/download/1.1.1/hwfly_toolbox.bin
2. Put it in `sdcard:/bootloader/payloads`
3. Get this https://github.com/hwfly-nx/firmware/releases/download/0.7.1/release_071.zip
4. Extract and copy `sdloader.enc` to the root of your sdcard fat32 partition
5. Run `hwfly_toolbox` payload from hekate
6. In `----SD Loader----` section select `Update`
7. Power off your switch and boot ubuntu

In case the issue re appear, reapply the steps listed here from 4. to 7. If you didn't removed the files you downloaded in step 1. and 3.

Reactions: binkinator

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sweet. I was already on 0.7.1 hwfly-nx, so I didn't have to do anything but partition an sd card and install it. Flawless victory!

Edit: Only now... I'm kind of wondering what use my launch day Switch is. Other than a backup system if something goes terribly wrong with my OLED...

Last edited by urherenow,
Reactions: evil_santa

xldon2lx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
So has anybody already manage to boot this on mariko systems? I tried installing on mine and getting this error. Tried googling the error and found nothing.

Using hekate 6.0.1 and the newest build of switchroot ubuntu

Attachments

• 20221225_142250.jpg
    20221225_142250.jpg
    645.7 KB · Views: 129

idannnn7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
If you become a massage bord not init properly here is a fix.

WARNING: Be very very careful when following those steps, you **could** cause permanent and unexpected damages to your console if
You don't follow the exact steps of this guide OR perform extra steps not specified in this guide AND followed when not STRICTLY NEEDED

WARNING 2: DO NOT FLASH FIRMWARE.BIN

If you get the message "Board was not initialized properly. Hang prevented." while booting Linux or Android on Mariko:

1. Get this
2. Put it in `sdcard:/bootloader/payloads`
3. Get this
4. Extract and copy `sdloader.enc` to the root of your sdcard fat32 partition
5. Run `hwfly_toolbox` payload from hekate
6. In `----SD Loader----` section select `Update`
7. Power off your switch and boot ubuntu

In case the issue re appear, reapply the steps listed here from 4. to 7. If you didn't removed the files you downloaded in step 1. and 3.
Hello my friend
Its not working for sx-core modchip... Can u help with sx core?

FanNintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope it worth try and find out how well it runs on Emulators thanks for the hard work to @CTCaer for L4T Ubuntu and Hekate. Merry Christmas everyone!

evil_santa

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Last edited by evil_santa,

xldon2lx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
More like it’s missing from hekate. How did you update hekate, exactly? @xldon2lx bet you don’t have a /bootloader/sys/l4t directory on your card, do you?
Thanks! This is indeed the issue. It's so weird I was 100% sure I copied everything when I updated hekate. I literally unzip, ctrl A & ctrl C it when I updated so I'm not sure how the l4t folder was not copied since everything got updated.

Update

Ok this is so weird. So I opened the hekate update I downloaded from CTCaer's github to grab the missing files and it is not there.:rofl2:

Could I have downloaded a very early release where he forgot to add l4t folder and just reuploaded it again after? Dunno but thanks a lot! I'm gonna try again now.
Post automatically merged:

Another update

I'm getting a "board was not initialized properly" error. So it seems like I have to flash the sdloader file from hwfly-nx. Problem is, I'm using the default chip-nx firmware on my modchip :( I don't have a USB connector to reflash my modchip since I just bought this 2nd hand.

I guess this is it for now then. Thanks for the assistance guys! :)

Attachments

• hekate.jpg
    hekate.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 142
Last edited by xldon2lx,

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does JUST the sd loader work via the toolbox with Original FW on the chip? Dunno, because my chip is the OLED specific chip with a dongle. I suppose it can’t hurt to try. If your chip is flashable at all, follow ONLY the first 6 steps in method b
Code:
1. Obtain hwfly toolbox from https://github.com/hwfly-nx/hwfly-toolbox/releases
2. Place hwfly_toolbox.bin in sdcard:/bootloader/payloads/.
3. Place sdloader.enc from hwfly firmware into sdcard root.
4. Boot switch into hekate, then run hwfly_toolbox.bin payload.
5. Update SD loader from toolbox menu.
6. Power off console from menu.

Please note that the steps DO NOT TELL YOU to add the firmware.bin to the sd. That is done after successfully flashing the sdloader. I guess it will either work, or it won’t. If you have a flashable chip but no dongle, AND if this doesn’t work, then you have to flash manually by soldering wires and using a programmer. There are already other threads for this topic though, and if you do not have the tools or skills, you should NOT try it yourself.

xldon2lx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Does JUST the sd loader work via the toolbox with Original FW on the chip? Dunno, because my chip is the OLED specific chip with a dongle. I suppose it can’t hurt to try. If your chip is flashable at all, follow ONLY the first 6 steps in method b
Code:
1. Obtain hwfly toolbox from https://github.com/hwfly-nx/hwfly-toolbox/releases
2. Place hwfly_toolbox.bin in sdcard:/bootloader/payloads/.
3. Place sdloader.enc from hwfly firmware into sdcard root.
4. Boot switch into hekate, then run hwfly_toolbox.bin payload.
5. Update SD loader from toolbox menu.
6. Power off console from menu.

Please note that the steps DO NOT TELL YOU to add the firmware.bin to the sd. That is done after successfully flashing the sdloader. I guess it will either work, or it won’t. If you have a flashable chip but no dongle, AND if this doesn’t work, then you have to flash manually by soldering wires and using a programmer. There are already other threads for this topic though, and if you do not have the tools or skills, you should NOT try it yourself.
I am using spacecraft nx not hwfly nx I don't think its possible to flash sdloader.enc using hwfly toolbox since before you can use hwfly toolbox you need to boot the modchip in DFU mode. But this doesn't work on spacecraft nx. It only boots on DFU mode while on the spacecraft nx screen but hwfly toolbox needs to be in hekate.

Last edited by xldon2lx,

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am using spacecraft nx not hwfly nx sadly
That’s the point. Try installing the sdloader from hwfly-nx. It was forked from spacecraft-nx in the first place. So recap for SX core users:

1) You NEED to install spacecraft-nx firmware
2) You then NEED to install JUST THE SDLOADER from hwfly-nx v 0.7.1.
Do NOT attempt to install firmware from hwfly-nx. ONLY the sdloader.

xldon2lx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
That’s the point. Try installing the sdloader from hwfly-nx. It was forked from spacecraft-nx in the first place. So recap for SX core users:

1) You NEED to install spacecraft-nx firmware
2) You then NEED to install JUST THE SDLOADER from hwfly-nx v 0.7.1.
Do NOT attempt to install firmware from hwfly-nx. ONLY the sdloader.
Anyways just for the heck of it I tried and I got an error when I click update on the sdloader option. Like I said it won't work since you need to set DFU mode first in order to flash anything from hwfly toolbox(the steady green LED light where you can trigger it when you hold vol+ and power button). Which does not work on stock spacecraft nx because doing the Vol+ & Power button combo boots me into the spacecraft nx boot menu instead.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyways just for the heck of it I tried and I got an error when I click update on the sdloader option. Like I said it won't work since you need to set DFU mode first in order to flash anything from hwfly toolbox(the steady green LED light where you can trigger it when you hold vol+ and power button). Which does not work on stock spacecraft nx because doing the Vol+ & Power button combo boots me into the spacecraft nx boot menu instead.
The vol+ thing is to flash the firmware, not to update sd loader. Do you have a flashable, original SX core, or is yours a clone?

If you don’t have a usb dongle, you’ll have to get a programmer (if you’re sure your chip is even flashable…)

https://www.sthetix.info/flashing-updating-unbricking-the-chip/

xldon2lx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
The vol+ thing is to flash the firmware, not to update sd loader. Do you have a flashable, original SX core, or is yours a clone?

If you don’t have a usb dongle, you’ll have to get a programmer (if you’re sure your chip is even flashable…)

https://www.sthetix.info/flashing-updating-unbricking-the-chip/

Mine is a v4.1 hwfly lite. Sadly I don't have usb connector as I bought it 2nd hand. I do have a gdb link which I use on my OLED but I have not seen a diagram for the v4.1 hwfly lite yet. They do differ a lot.

NoCaPo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
At first, sorry for my bad English, but I have a HWFLY v3 (no flashable) but it comes with usb conector.
I still dont try to install, bc I am afraid to broke the switch or chip using the hwfly toolbox.
Anyone knows if I can install sdloader.enc with this version of the chip? If not, it means that I have to buy a newer one, and that sucks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Judge me by my size do you... Lol