L4T Ubuntu - A fully featured linux on your switch

switchroot.png

L4T Ubuntu
Intro
L4T Ubuntu is a version of Linux based on nvidia's linux for tegra project. It uses a different kernel compared to previous releases which allows it to use features not yet in mainline. Such as audio, docking support and vulkan.

Join our discord: https://discord.gg/53mtKYt

We have a wiki !
To facilitate our work we will only update our wiki from now on in order to avoid multiple outdated references, please refer to the following link instead of this page

https://wiki.switchroot.org/en/Linux/Ubuntu-Install-Guide

Credits

Bylaws,
Langerhans,
Ave,
Natinusala,
CTCaer(most of the hard stuff),
Gavin_Darkglider,
DanielOgorchock(Joycon drivers/joycond),
stary2001 (reboot2payload),
NVIDIA,
Azkali
Everyone else in switchroot - more info on that in the future.

Last edited by azkali,

Cacx101

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey there, a quick question. I have linux up and running, but I was wondering how to set up the permanent 2.0 GHz code. I've gotten as far as knowing how to give myself root access (sudo -i) and I know where the etc folder is located, but I don't know where to go from there.

Gavin_Darkglider

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need to edit the file specified, and add the lines of code to the end. Then reboot. it is that simple. so gedit <path to file> then add the lines of code in the op at the end, and you should be good.

Gavin_Darkglider

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

First you would have to see if the chip supports that, then you would need to write code to support that, probably in coreboot/uboot, then you would also need a kernel driver to support that, assuming there isnt one already. As far as I know it isnt supported, but I could be totally wrong. I would follow the guide there, and see if /dev/kvm even exists, before I went any further. Qemu should work though, and since the processor is already arm based, I dont think you would need virtualization to run an android app, just a wrapper for the hardware(Anbox).That being said, full android is on its way. There has been some good stuff on switchroot for this, including updates to Arm Trusted Firmware for warmboot, which I think will go nicely with the code that CTCaer was working on for coreboot for the same purpose. Now if only I could get the updated joycon driver to compile with l4t.

Reactions: MrWhosHacking

Gavin_Darkglider

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont think that steam was released for arm64 linux. I dont use steam, so I wouldnt know, as I havnt bothered to google it, but from what I can tell you will have to wait for android, or an android wrapper like anbox to be installed. I am working on it, but I have had other things(Work) taking up my time this week.

MrWhosHacking

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First you would have to see if the chip supports that, then you would need to write code to support that, probably in coreboot/uboot, then you would also need a kernel driver to support that, assuming there isnt one already. As far as I know it isnt supported, but I could be totally wrong. I would follow the guide there, and see if /dev/kvm even exists, before I went any further. Qemu should work though, and since the processor is already arm based, I dont think you would need virtualization to run an android app, just a wrapper for the hardware(Anbox).That being said, full android is on its way. There has been some good stuff on switchroot for this, including updates to Arm Trusted Firmware for warmboot, which I think will go nicely with the code that CTCaer was working on for coreboot for the same purpose. Now if only I could get the updated joycon driver to compile with l4t.
How do use anbox I tired didn’t work

Worldblender

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Although I haven't gotten around to building my own kernel, there is something else I wonder about: Is it possible to access game cartridges from L4T Ubuntu (and possibly Android) in any way? It doesn't have to be in a state where games can be played from them, but at least enough to read information from them. I may be interested in another method to dump game cartridges that doesn't involve booting up CFW, where I mentioned earlier that my Switch unit is unable to load the stock firmware or any custom firmware.

Gavin_Darkglider

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Although I haven't gotten around to building my own kernel, there is something else I wonder about: Is it possible to access game cartridges from L4T Ubuntu (and possibly Android) in any way? It doesn't have to be in a state where games can be played from them, but at least enough to read information from them. I may be interested in another method to dump game cartridges that doesn't involve booting up CFW, where I mentioned earlier that my Switch unit is unable to load the stock firmware or any custom firmware.

Just as soon as someone writes a driver for the game card reader. there hasnt been much of a need for one in the linux world, as there is nothing we could do with it, other than use it to copy games(maybe?) At this point, I think we can access the nand if we wanted, but we dont, as there is no driver to decrypt it. I guess if you were daring, you could install linux there.

MrWhosHacking

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can we use any of these on switch and if this not allowed please remove im not sure if allowed

1. Kali Linux

Kali Linux is the most widely known Linux distro for ethical hacking and penetration testing. Kali Linux was developed by Offensive Security taking on the mantle of BackTrack.

kali-linux.jpg

Kali Linux
Kali Linux is based on Debian. It comes with a large amount of penetration testing tools from various fields of security and forensics. And now it follows the rolling release model, meaning every tool of your collection will always be up-to-date.

2. BackBox
BackBox is a Ubuntu-based distro developed for penetration testing and security assessment purpose. It is one of the best distro in its field.

BackBox has its own software repository providing latest stable versions of various system & network analysis toolkits and the best known ethical hacking tools. It is designed with minimalism in mind and uses XFCE desktop environment. It delivers a fast, effective, customizable and complete experience. It also has a very helpful community behind it.

3. Parrot Security OS
Parrot Security OS is relatively new in the game. Frozenbox Network is behind the development of this distro. The target users of Parrot Security OS are penetration testers who need cloud friendly environment with online anonymity and encrypted system.

parrot-security-os.jpg

Parrot Security OS
Parrot Security OS is also based on Debian and uses MATE as its desktop environment. Almost every recognized tool for penetration testing is available here, along with some exclusive custom tools from Frozenbox Network. And yes, it is available as Rolling Release.

4. BlackArch
BlackArch is a penetration testing and security researching distro built on top of Arch Linux.

blackarch.jpg

BlackArch
BlackArch has its own repository containing thousands of tools organized in various groups. And the list is growing over time.

If you are already an Arch Linux user, you can setup BlackArch tools collection on top of it.

5. Bugtraq
Bugtraq is a Linux distro with a huge range of penetration, forensic and laboratory tools.

Bugtraq.jpg

Bugtraq
Bugtraq is available with XFCE, GNOME and KDE desktop environments based on Ubuntu, Debian and OpenSUSE. It is also available in 11 different languages.

Bugtraq packs a huge arsenal of penetration testing tools – mobile forensics, malware testing laboratories along with tools specifically designed by the Bugtraq-Community.

6. DEFT Linux
DEFT, short for Digital Evidence & Forensics Toolkit, Linux is a distribution made for Computer Forensics, with the purpose of running live system without corrupting or tampering devices connected to the PC where the booting takes place.

DEFT.jpg

DEFT Linux
DEFT is paired with DART (Digital Advanced Response Toolkit), a Forensics system for Windows. It uses LXDE desktop environment and WINE for running Windows tools.

7. Samurai Web Testing Framework
Samurai Web Testing Framework is developed with the sole purpose of penetration testing on web in mind. Another difference is that it comes as a Virtual Machine, supported by Virtualbox & VMWare.

SamuraiWebTestingFramework.jpg

Samurai Web Testing Framework
Samurai Web Testing Framework is based on Ubuntu and contains the best free and open source tools focusing on testing and attacking websites.

It also includes a pre-configured Wiki set up to store information during your penetration tests.

8. Pentoo Linux
Pentoo is based on Gentoo Linux. It is a distro focused on security and penetration testing and is available as LiveCD with persistence support (means any changes made in the Live environment will be available on the next boot if you use a USB stick).

pentoo.jpg

Pentoo
Pentoo is basically a Gentoo installation with lots of customized tools, kernel features and much more. It uses XFCE desktop environment.

Suggested read These Projects Are Trying To Keep Memories of Ubuntu Unity Alive
If you are already a Gentoo user, you can install Pentoo as an overlay on it.

9. Caine
CAINE stand for Computer Aided Investigative Environment. It is created as a project of Digital Forensics and is completely focused on it.

caine.jpg

Caine
Caine comes with a wide variety of tools developed for system forensics and analysis purpose.

10. Network Security Toolkit
Network Security Toolkit is a bootable Live ISO based on Fedora. It provides security professionals and network administrators with a wide range of open source network security tools.

Network-Security-Toolkit.jpg

Network Security Toolkit
Network Security Toolkit has an advanced Web User Interface for system/network administration, navigation, automation, network monitoring & analysis and configuration of many applications found in Network Security Toolkit distro.

11. Fedora Security Spin
Fedora Security Spin is a variation of Fedora designed for security auditing and testing and it can also be used for teaching purpose.

fedora-security-spin.jpg

Fedora Security Spin
The purpose of this distro is to support students and teachers while they are practicing or learning security methodologies on information security, web application security, forensics analysis and so on.

12. ArchStrike
ArchStrike (previously known as ArchAssault) is a project based on Arch Linux for penetration testers and security professionals.

ArchAssault.jpg

ArchStrike (previously ArchAssault)
It comes with all the best things of Arch Linux with additional tools for penetration testing and cyber security. ArchStrike includes thousands of tools and applications, all categorized into modular package groups.

Others
There are plenty others for you to choose from. We are going to mention some more of them:

Last edited by MrWhosHacking,

EpicLPer

Your friendly Austrian IT Guy
Trophies
Website
epiclper.com
XP
Country
Austria
i have my needs just like anybody else has there needs..... if you dont know what you can do then no need to ask but way you cleary dont know cause if you did you would understand sir
Everything besides Kali would be useless anyways, that said you'd need an external keyboard and mouse for it to be practical. You can get a cheap laptop that runs the Distros you wish for under 100 bucks if you search around a bit.

MrWhosHacking

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everything besides Kali would be useless anyways, that said you'd need an external keyboard and mouse for it to be practical. You can get a cheap laptop that runs the Distros you wish for under 100 bucks if you search around a bit.
and i do have pc that run backtrack be nice to have on switch and mouse and keyboard use a Bluetooth

Gavin_Darkglider

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can we use any of these on switch and if this not allowed please remove im not sure if allowed

1. Kali Linux

Kali Linux is the most widely known Linux distro for ethical hacking and penetration testing. Kali Linux was developed by Offensive Security taking on the mantle of BackTrack.

kali-linux.jpg

Kali Linux
Kali Linux is based on Debian. It comes with a large amount of penetration testing tools from various fields of security and forensics. And now it follows the rolling release model, meaning every tool of your collection will always be up-to-date.

2. BackBox
BackBox is a Ubuntu-based distro developed for penetration testing and security assessment purpose. It is one of the best distro in its field.

BackBox has its own software repository providing latest stable versions of various system & network analysis toolkits and the best known ethical hacking tools. It is designed with minimalism in mind and uses XFCE desktop environment. It delivers a fast, effective, customizable and complete experience. It also has a very helpful community behind it.

3. Parrot Security OS
Parrot Security OS is relatively new in the game. Frozenbox Network is behind the development of this distro. The target users of Parrot Security OS are penetration testers who need cloud friendly environment with online anonymity and encrypted system.

parrot-security-os.jpg

Parrot Security OS
Parrot Security OS is also based on Debian and uses MATE as its desktop environment. Almost every recognized tool for penetration testing is available here, along with some exclusive custom tools from Frozenbox Network. And yes, it is available as Rolling Release.

4. BlackArch
BlackArch is a penetration testing and security researching distro built on top of Arch Linux.

blackarch.jpg

BlackArch
BlackArch has its own repository containing thousands of tools organized in various groups. And the list is growing over time.

If you are already an Arch Linux user, you can setup BlackArch tools collection on top of it.

5. Bugtraq
Bugtraq is a Linux distro with a huge range of penetration, forensic and laboratory tools.

Bugtraq.jpg

Bugtraq
Bugtraq is available with XFCE, GNOME and KDE desktop environments based on Ubuntu, Debian and OpenSUSE. It is also available in 11 different languages.

Bugtraq packs a huge arsenal of penetration testing tools – mobile forensics, malware testing laboratories along with tools specifically designed by the Bugtraq-Community.

6. DEFT Linux
DEFT, short for Digital Evidence & Forensics Toolkit, Linux is a distribution made for Computer Forensics, with the purpose of running live system without corrupting or tampering devices connected to the PC where the booting takes place.

DEFT.jpg

DEFT Linux
DEFT is paired with DART (Digital Advanced Response Toolkit), a Forensics system for Windows. It uses LXDE desktop environment and WINE for running Windows tools.

7. Samurai Web Testing Framework
Samurai Web Testing Framework is developed with the sole purpose of penetration testing on web in mind. Another difference is that it comes as a Virtual Machine, supported by Virtualbox & VMWare.

SamuraiWebTestingFramework.jpg

Samurai Web Testing Framework
Samurai Web Testing Framework is based on Ubuntu and contains the best free and open source tools focusing on testing and attacking websites.

It also includes a pre-configured Wiki set up to store information during your penetration tests.

8. Pentoo Linux
Pentoo is based on Gentoo Linux. It is a distro focused on security and penetration testing and is available as LiveCD with persistence support (means any changes made in the Live environment will be available on the next boot if you use a USB stick).

pentoo.jpg

Pentoo
Pentoo is basically a Gentoo installation with lots of customized tools, kernel features and much more. It uses XFCE desktop environment.

Suggested read These Projects Are Trying To Keep Memories of Ubuntu Unity Alive
If you are already a Gentoo user, you can install Pentoo as an overlay on it.

9. Caine
CAINE stand for Computer Aided Investigative Environment. It is created as a project of Digital Forensics and is completely focused on it.

caine.jpg

Caine
Caine comes with a wide variety of tools developed for system forensics and analysis purpose.

10. Network Security Toolkit
Network Security Toolkit is a bootable Live ISO based on Fedora. It provides security professionals and network administrators with a wide range of open source network security tools.

Network-Security-Toolkit.jpg

Network Security Toolkit
Network Security Toolkit has an advanced Web User Interface for system/network administration, navigation, automation, network monitoring & analysis and configuration of many applications found in Network Security Toolkit distro.

11. Fedora Security Spin
Fedora Security Spin is a variation of Fedora designed for security auditing and testing and it can also be used for teaching purpose.

fedora-security-spin.jpg

Fedora Security Spin
The purpose of this distro is to support students and teachers while they are practicing or learning security methodologies on information security, web application security, forensics analysis and so on.

12. ArchStrike
ArchStrike (previously known as ArchAssault) is a project based on Arch Linux for penetration testers and security professionals.

ArchAssault.jpg

ArchStrike (previously ArchAssault)
It comes with all the best things of Arch Linux with additional tools for penetration testing and cyber security. ArchStrike includes thousands of tools and applications, all categorized into modular package groups.

Others
There are plenty others for you to choose from. We are going to mention some more of them:

Yes, they all should run, if you can find arm64 versions of them. The kernel can be patched with the kali patches as well, as those are mainly for wifi injection. Unfortunatly, these patches are useless with the switches internal wifi card, but with the dock, you could use a compatible wifi card. On top of that, with some custom patches of my own, I also have full bash bunny support(Excepting the LED, as the only ones are on the controller, and the current driver handles that internally, I have something in mind for that, I am working on now.) on my builds. Excepting the issue with the tegra-xudc driver mode switching back once the PD chip changes the mode(also something I am looking into.) :( Even have a custom ATTACKMODE script that sets up the devices, and works just like the one on the bashbunny(meaning you can set custom rndis, and unlike the bashbunny, ecm_ethernet reported speed.) Something I recreated a while ago. lol. I was bored, and had a board with gadget support. lol. As an IT person, I can see the value of having these options on a switch, but dont think that people that dont know how to create a kali build for the switch should have access to. If you cant build it, then I dont trust you to know how to use it responsibly as well. That being said, I was considering porting kali for all the hackers of the world, once I finished Gentoo(Which will make Pentoo easy, as you can just pull it in as a repo in gentoo and install the apps). Should be much easier, since it is ubuntu based anyway, the packages should merge quite easily.

Last edited by Gavin_Darkglider,

MrWhosHacking

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, they all should run, if you can find arm64 versions of them. The kernel can be patched with the kali patches as well, as those are mainly for wifi injection. Unfortunatly, these patches are useless with the switches internal wifi card, but with the dock, you could use a compatible wifi card. On top of that, with some custom patches of my own, I also have full bash bunny support(Excepting the LED, as the only ones are on the controller, and the current driver handles that internally, I have something in mind for that, I am working on now.) on my builds. Excepting the issue with the tegra-xudc driver mode switching back once the PD chip changes the mode(also something I am looking into.) :( Even have a custom ATTACKMODE script that sets up the devices, and works just like the one on the bashbunny(meaning you can set custom rndis, and unlike the bashbunny, ecm_ethernet reported speed.) Something I recreated a while ago. lol. I was bored, and had a board with gadget support. lol. As an IT person, I can see the value of having these options on a switch, but dont think that people that dont know how to create a kali build for the switch should have access to. If you cant build it, then I dont trust you to know how to use it responsibly as well. That being said, I was considering porting kali for all the hackers of the world, once I finished Gentoo(Which will make Pentoo easy, as you can just pull it in as a repo in gentoo and install the apps). Should be much easier, since it is ubuntu based anyway, the packages should merge quite easily.

true point proven i like it let me know when your build done ill test out

Gavin_Darkglider

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kali wont work, as kali arm repositories dont support arm64 which is required by the userspace drivers for l4t. You could do it with mainline kernel, but you will loose 90% of the hardware support. :( Pentoo is still an option, since it is a source distro based on gentoo, an gentoo allows you to use custom repositories, which pentoo is basically. So you can pull in that repo, and install all the apps available in that repo that you want. And for the ones that arent there, there are other repos. Will all the apps work properly on the switch? I dont know, but it is worth looking into, once I finish the hardware support, and then put rebuild parts of the base build, that I screwed up. lol. I have the final build, which I am working with, and the stripped build, that needs to be rebuilt for release. I still also have cuda and openmax to deal with, but they arent as high on my priority list, so the first release wont have them. I will release updated ebuilds though, and want to post a repo somewhere as well, so you can update those things with the system. Currently, it is a bit of a mess, but works. lol.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/0jb7vuzh3Xc?si=tYLCTavJ89a3Tdt0