Homebrew Large NeoGeo games support and CPS3 tests

Tanooki16

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Everyone complains about the RetroArch Wii GUI, but for me the big problem is having to put the right resolution if you want the beautiful 240p ><

For the Nes 512x240 it's perfect because the console has a single resolution.

For the NeoGeo, but also for Snes / Turbografx / Genesis / and especially the Arcade, there are several resolutions (sometimes several for a game !)

With automatic resolution selection RetroArch would be the best, it's a shame.

Last edited by Tanooki16,

xaviersaverio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
So I've tested 640x224 without bilinear filtering and I agree it's sharp on most games I've tried.
608x224 without bilinear filtering is also fine.

Between these 2 resolutions, 608 looks more accurate on vertical lines thickness consistency when displaying the grid in the NeoGeo hardware test options.

With bilinear filtering enabled, 608x224, 640x224 & 384x224 look all the same but slightly blurry.

Anyone knows if it's possible to save a resolution per game i.e. 608x224 for Shock Troopers and 640x224 for Blazing Star?

Last edited by xaviersaverio,

Wiimpathy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It used to save the current resolution with Overrides->Save Game Overrides. But it's not saving that option anymore so you must edit the files manually. Sigh...

Here's a workaround. You'll find 2 folders in the attached Zip.
- CRC_224 : 608*224 & 640*224
- LCD_448 : 608*448 & 640*448

Copy one of this folder's content in /retroarch/FB Alpha 2012 Neo Geo. You have to create the 'FB Alpha 2012 Neo Geo' folder if doesn't exist.
It contains resolutions overrides for most NeoGeo games. If you want to modify the option current_resolution_id. Here's what the number means, look here : https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/blob/master/gfx/drivers/gx_gfx.c#L172
For example 608*224 is # 9.

Attachments

• Neo-Resolutions.zip
    45 KB · Views: 250
Last edited by Wiimpathy,

LumInvader

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It used to save the current resolution with Overrides->Save Game Overrides. But it's not saving that option anymore so you must edit the files manually. Sigh...

Here's a workaround. You'll find 2 folders in the attached Zip.
- CRC_224 : 608*224 & 640*224
- LCD_448 : 608*448 & 640*448

Copy one of this folder's content in /retroarch/FB Alpha 2012 Neo Geo. You have to create the 'FB Alpha 2012 Neo Geo' folder if doesn't exist.
It contains resolutions overrides for most NeoGeo games. If you want to modify the option current_resolution_id. Here's what the number means, look here : https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/blob/master/gfx/drivers/gx_gfx.c#L172
For example 608*224 is # 9.
Fantastic! Is it safe to assume this technique would work with the other Retroarch cores, like NES, TG16, etc?

Wiimpathy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Off course, you can do this for other cores. In fact, this option and the overrides are there for a long time.
But while it's not too hard for Arcade games as there are datas you can scrape(mame2003 xml from libretro here) it's another story for other systems.
You'd have to manually edit the files for snes etc. As others said, there are often different resolutions per region or even in-game. I don't think a multi emulator exists with auto res switching. That'd mean someone had listed all the native res per game and that's a Lot of games!

LumInvader

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Off course, you can do this for other cores. In fact, this option and the overrides are there for a long time.
But while it's not too hard for Arcade games as there are datas you can scrape(mame2003 xml from libretro here) it's another story for other systems.
You'd have to manually edit the files for snes etc. As others said, there are often different resolutions per region or even in-game. I don't think a multi emulator exists with auto res switching. That'd mean someone had listed all the native res per game and that's a Lot of games!
Admittedly, I've never used Retroarch for the PC, but since that port supposedly saves the resolution settings, wouldn't it be easier just to set the games up there then transfer the settings over to the Wii?

Wiimpathy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
But we're talking of per game resolution so that wouldn't help right? At best, the core gives a default resolution for all games.
For Snes, the same game can have a different res for Pal or NTSC. For example Super Mario World Ntsc 256x224 and 256x239.

You can't reasonably do it manually for thousands games. If there's a database with games + resolutions like Mame, you can parse that to do it automatically. I don't think such data exist and easily usable for all consoles/computers.
I've used https://github.com/libretro/libretro-database/tree/master/metadat/mame to generate the cfg with scripts.
It's also simpler for Arcade since the names are more consistent.

Another thing is here it's not really native resolutions since we always double the width. And you'd used a different height with a CRT or a LCD.

Reactions: niuus

LumInvader

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But we're talking of per game resolution so that wouldn't help right? At best, the core gives a default resolution for all games.
For Snes, the same game can have a different res for Pal or NTSC. For example Super Mario World Ntsc 256x224 and 256x239.

You can't reasonably do it manually for thousands games. If there's a database with games + resolutions like Mame, you can parse that to do it automatically. I don't think such data exist and easily usable for all consoles/computers.
I've used https://github.com/libretro/libretro-database/tree/master/metadat/mame to generate the cfg with scripts.
It's also simpler for Arcade since the names are more consistent.

Another thing is here it's not really native resolutions since we always double the width. And you'd used a different height with a CRT or a LCD.
Saving screen resolution on a per-game basis is busted on the Wii port, so I automatically assumed it worked on the PC side. I agree that ROM names would be an issue for non-arcade games, as virtually every user has a slightly different naming scheme. That alone wouldn't be a deal breaker though, as that just means users wouldn't gain much by downloading another user's preconfigured settings. Users could still generate their own if they have the time.

xaviersaverio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm currently enjoying CPS1 & CPS2 games with fbalpha2012_cps1_libretro_wii.dol & fbalpha2012_cps2_libretro_wii.dol cores from v1.7.6 that I'm using together with FBA Neo R5.
Games are working really well on 384x224 resolution on my CRT TV.

The only issue I have is about redefining inputs. I'd like to change default controls in Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo so I did it in Controls but I can't get the changes to save. I tried Controls/Save Game Remap File, Options/Create game-options file and Overrides/Save game overrides but my changes are never saved.

I guess it's due to Wiimpathy's explanation about Overrides not working anymore in the Wii version.
Does anyone have a solution? Should I create a .cfg file for this game with my redefined keys?

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I'm currently enjoying CPS1 & CPS2 games with fbalpha2012_cps1_libretro_wii.dol & fbalpha2012_cps2_libretro_wii.dol cores from v1.7.6 that I'm using together with FBA Neo R5.
Games are working really well on 384x224 resolution on my CRT TV.

The only issue I have is about redefining inputs. I'd like to change default controls in Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo so I did it in Controls but I can't get the changes to save. I tried Controls/Save Game Remap File, Options/Create game-options file and Overrides/Save game overrides but my changes are never saved.

I guess it's due to Wiimpathy's explanation about Overrides not working anymore in the Wii version.
Does anyone have a solution? Should I create a .cfg file for this game with my redefined keys?
If it helps you, here's what i did some time ago on the Wii: i load the game and remap what i need as my ideal default (last version that this worked for me was 1.6.7, your mileage may vary), save the remap, and later rename it on the PC to something more meaningful (e.g.: Player 1 Arcade Pad controls, Wii U Pro controls, etc.). After that, i just load the remap when i need that particular button configuration. You can use the CPS-2 ones on the CPS-1 core, since the latter does not allow you to remap inside "Controls". If i need a particular button setup that concerns only to that game, i just leave it as it is and activate the load game remaps by default.

The only thing i am truly missing out is HID support, which is broken since 1.7.1, apparently caused by this commit :(. I wish they would revert it, so the VM releases were working with it.

Last edited by niuus,
Reactions: rogerioronin

Wiimpathy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The only thing i am truly missing out is HID support, which is broken since 1.7.1, apparently caused by this commit :(. I wish they would revert it, so the VM releases were working with it.

I forgot about this one. So HID isn't working at all anymore? Back in september 2017, I started to implement a Thrustmaster 2 in 1. It was so complex to have a fully functional controller, I stopped with dpad+buttons, no luck with the stick.
That's one of the weakness of Retroach with so many platforms to support. And without a Wii dedicated tester and developper that doesn't help.

First, check if the remapping path is set. Settings->Directory->Input Remapping and change it to sd:/retroarch for example. Then Options->Controls->Save Game Remap file. It should saved ssf2t.rmp file that'll be loaded automatically next time.

FanNintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I forgot about this one. So HID isn't working at all anymore? Back in september 2017, I started to implement a Thrustmaster 2 in 1. It was so complex to have a fully functional controller, I stopped with dpad+buttons, no luck with the stick.
That's one of the weakness of Retroach with so many platforms to support. And without a Wii dedicated tester and developper that doesn't help.

First, check if the remapping path is set. Settings->Directory->Input Remapping and change it to sd:/retroarch for example. Then Options->Controls->Save Game Remap file. It should saved ssf2t.rmp file that'll be loaded automatically next time.
will any of pgm or polygames helps on Wii U retroarch if I converts with those tool on computer?

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Yeah, HID is dead in the water for the Wii.

xaviersaverio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France

Thanks a lot @Wiimpathy! The input remapping works fine.

One last question: Is there a way to save changes made to the Diagnostics page? e.g. if I change the difficulty setting in Super Street Fighter 2 or switch on the Attract sound. My changes are saved with MAME 2003 Plus and with FBA Neo but not with FBA CPS1 or CPS2.

Wiimpathy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
will any of pgm or polygames helps on Wii U retroarch if I converts with those tool on computer?
What? Could you be more explicit? But I guess the answer is no...

Thanks a lot @Wiimpathy! The input remapping works fine.

One last question: Is there a way to save changes made to the Diagnostics page? e.g. if I change the difficulty setting in Super Street Fighter 2 or switch on the Attract sound. My changes are saved with MAME 2003 Plus and with FBA Neo but not with FBA CPS1 or CPS2.
No idea about CPS not saving.

FanNintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What? Could you be more explicit? But I guess the answer is no...

No idea about CPS not saving.
worth ask the stupid question some of Cave, Psikyo or PolyGameMaster games will not run on Wii U because of to large size rom or not enough to meet the requirement for Wii U Thanks

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Thanks a lot @WiimpathyOne last question: Is there a way to save changes made to the Diagnostics page? e.g. if I change the difficulty setting in Super Street Fighter 2 or switch on the Attract sound. My changes are saved with MAME 2003 Plus and with FBA Neo but not with FBA CPS1 or CPS2.
Isn't the .nv file interchangeable between cores? Or maybe, you could set the dip settings in the PC version and then move it to the Wii retroarch folder.

CPS-1/CPS-2 dip settings have not being available for me in those cores, at least on the Wii, only on main FBA core (i only tried once), as far as i can remember.

Wiimpathy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
worth ask the stupid question some of Cave, Psikyo or PolyGameMaster games will not run on Wii U because of to large size rom or not enough to meet the requirement for Wii U Thanks
The method used here to have more RAM won't work on Wii-U. If the games are slow, it's more a CPU issue.

Someone could try to remove all drivers except PGM/Cave in fbalpha2012. This is what I did for the pgm test: https://gbatemp.net/threads/large-neogeo-games-support-and-cps3-tests.493767/page-3#post-7801828

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Soi soi soi rofl rofl rofl