Homebrew RETROARCH WII - Setting it up Mini Tutorial.

In order to improve this tutorial: Is it helpful?

• Total voters

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
Rampage world tour 36-41 fps. Is it normal for midway's core?
in case of the Wii it's a bit normal for Midway's core, but it runs on 36-41 FPS because of the poor power, potency and processing of the Nintendo Wii.
better play the N64 or the PS1 version instead.

IGA

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
in case of the Wii it's a bit normal for Midway's core, but it runs on 36-41 FPS because of the poor power, potency and processing of the Nintendo Wii.
better play the N64 or the PS1 version instead.
Does n64-version have slowdowns on wii?

Reactions: SaulFabre
UPDATE: RetroArch 1.10.2

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
UPDATE: RetroArch 1.10.2

RetroArch has been updated to the latest version 1.10.2
Check original post to find where to download it.

So far looks promising.
Although, it's completely missing the MAME2000 core (really, it's not included in the ZIP file for "nitnendo-wii" and FBALPHA still hangs/crashes with certain games.
Also, GenesisPlus GX core won't start at all (it's been like this for every single update since 1.9.1)
And VBAGX and GPSP crashes too.

Lucky for us, it doesn't break compatibility with old MAME2003 individual cores. So that's a plus.

NES cores, with the exception of FIXNES and QUICKNES has sound issues and artifacts with vertical overscan off.
This is something that neither of the two mentioned above has issues with.
Except that FIXNES doesn't has any options at all, so it's great if all you want is to "plug and play" without caring for other options that might enhance your gaming experience.
My prefered NES core is still QUICKNES because it has different sound and video options that are worth it, like Stereo Panning Sound and Crisp Equalizer that makes NES games sound amazing with proper speakers/headphones.

For GB/GBA cores, I recommend GAMBATTE and MGBA.
GAMBATTE implemented new color palettes that looks amazing to me.
And MGBA no longer crashes with AstroBoy for the Gameboy Advance, on top that it allows you to play GB/GBC games with Super Gameboy borders (either from in-game like Zelda Link's Awakening DX, or as Overlays)

CPS3, NEOGEO and MAME2003 still requires you to download the modified cores and creating the cache files.
Previous RetroArch versions broke compatibility with these modified cores. In other works, they didn't worked at all.
Now they do.

For TurboGrafx-16 / PC-Engine games, BEETLE PCE FAST is your best option.

And lastly, SNES cores:

- SNES9X: Still won't allow you to use Overlays. You can with older RetroArch versions. Has grainy sound here and there. For most games, is just in the "intro screens" but it's hardly noticeable while playing.
- SNES9X 2002: Still slow as fuck. Buggy and crashes most of the times.
- SNES9X 2005 PLUS: Grainy sound returned. Won't allow you to use Overlays.
- SNES9X 2005: Perfect sound-wise. Still won't allow Overlays though.
- SNES9X 2010: Crashes if you have Overlay ON

Stick with SNES9X 2010 from RetroArch 1.9.0
- (And even then you'll experience visual glitches and slowdowns with specific games that uses FX chips and more importantly with TOP-GEAR 3000... in which I'd recommend you to use SNES9X-GX instead of RetroArch)
- (And even with SNES9X-GX, you won't be able to properly play Mario Paint as the Mouse is buggy even with WiiMote as it's controller)

As for the rest of the cores... I can tell that NXENGINE, NEOGEO-POCKET and ZXSPECTRUM works as always... but if you want to try the other ones... well... be my guest!

Last edited by JuanMena,

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
@IGA I don't think so.
N64 emulation on the Wii (Wii64/Not64) has been improved a lot.
PS1 emulation on the Wii was also improved.

For the N64 version, according to Wii64/Not64 compatibility list (https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Wii64_Compatibility_List#R) Rampage World Tour is playable on Not64 but it has some very minor graphical issues.

For the PS1 version, according to WiiSXRX compatibility list (https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/WiiSXRX) Rampage World Tour is playable on WiiSX-RX at full speed but it has the little issue that it has some screen tearing during FMVs but everything of the rest is playable.

JuanMena

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Depends on your games. And depends if you're either using Not64 or Wii64-Rice or Wii-64-Glide.

For instance: Not64 has some minor slowdows with RARE games while Wii64-Rice does not. But not all RARE games are compatible with Wii64-Rice, while Not64 doesn't has troubles with compatibility, except maybe for Killer Instinct Gold.

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
Depends on your games. And depends if you're either using Not64 or Wii64-Rice or Wii-64-Glide.

For instance: Not64 has some minor slowdows with RARE games while Wii64-Rice does not. But not all RARE games are compatible with Wii64-Rice, while Not64 doesn't has troubles with compatibility, except maybe for Killer Instinct Gold.
Killer Instinct Gold even when it has some graphical issues IS actually playable on Not64.
Check this video from my friend @Zorg1996:

(PD: I'm NOT linking to warez, just to a preview video)

Reactions: JuanMena

IGA

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Isn't Not64 very old and others n64 emulators haven't been updated for 100 years?
( I've tested n64 emulation on wii for 5 years ago and it was poor and bad)

anyway, arcade version of Rampage is better and has 3 players mode

Last edited by IGA,

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
Isn't Not64 very old and others n64 emulators haven't been updated for 100 years?
( I've tested n64 emulation on wii for 5 years ago and it was poor and bad)

anyway, arcade version of Rampage is better and has 3 players mode
Latest version of Wii64 is Beta 1.3 launched in December 22, 2021 (3 months ago)
Latest version of Not64 is v20211116 launched in November 16, 2021 (4 months ago)

Anyways, Rampage World Tour on the N64 is better than the PS1 version since it has also 3 players mode, like the arcade one.

EDIT: I remember that the MAME2003+ cores for Wii has the Frameskip option inside Core Options (at least the frameskip option is present on RA-HEXAECO). If your preference is playing the original arcade version, try going to Core Options and setting the Frameskip option to 1 or 2.

Last edited by SaulFabre,

IGA

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Latest version of Wii64 is Beta 1.3 launched in December 22, 2021 (3 months ago)
Latest version of Not64 is v20211116 launched in November 16, 2021 (4 months ago)
Thanks, i will try...

EDIT: I remember that the MAME2003+ cores for Wii has the Frameskip option inside Core Options (at least the frameskip option is present on RA-HEXAECO). If your preference is playing the original arcade version, try going to Core Options and setting the Frameskip option to 1 or 2.
- frameskip=evil!

IGA

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
what did you mean? :P
-fraud\deception\crutch not speedhack. This is an incorrect reproduction that does not correspond to the original.
- not correct emulation cause in original hardware those frames does not skips and all was as smooth as a fast, so why play like this at all? ( with frame skip)

If from hopelessness, then it's better in no way than this

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
-fraud\deception\crutch not speedhack. This is an incorrect reproduction that does not correspond to the original.
- not correct emulation cause in original hardware those frames does not skips and all was as smooth as a fast, so why play like this at all? ( with frame skip)

If from hopelessness, then it's better in no way than this
Yep.
Rather than trying to play the arcade version on Wii, try playing the N64 version instead on Not64.

IGA

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Rather than trying to play the arcade version on Wii, try playing the N64 version instead on Not64.
I have raspberry pi 4 with default 1.5Ghz arm cpu, and want to said that even here emulation of n64 is so far from perfect.
So, what going expect from wii cpu...?

Kinghenry8515

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick question

And honestly I only scrolled through the guide (bookmarked), because I think I already know the answer, BUT I figured this is the place to ask.

Can I make Retroarch on the Wii as pretty as...say the Vita or Wii-U? I'm talking custom playlist (with art), box-art, ect. I see there is an option for overlays, but I am talking something like the 'CrazyMac' builds. I have it installed on a PSTV and really do not see a reason to mess with the Wii too much, unless I can make it very pretty. Yes, this matters to me, hahahaha. It is half the fun!

Thanks in advance.

I attached an image of Crazy Mac's Retroarch build for reference. It is what I use on my Vita and PSTV and do not even want to mess with it on the Wii if the frontend has to stay so basic. Now, if I didn't have those two devices, I would be working my tail off to get it set up ASAP, lol.

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 55

cheloruiz79

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Quick question

And honestly I only scrolled through the guide (bookmarked), because I think I already know the answer, BUT I figured this is the place to ask.

Can I make Retroarch on the Wii as pretty as...say the Vita or Wii-U? I'm talking custom playlist (with art), box-art, ect. I see there is an option for overlays, but I am talking something like the 'CrazyMac' builds. I have it installed on a PSTV and really do not see a reason to mess with the Wii too much, unless I can make it very pretty. Yes, this matters to me, hahahaha. It is half the fun!

Thanks in advance.

I attached an image of Crazy Mac's Retroarch build for reference. It is what I use on my Vita and PSTV and do not even want to mess with it on the Wii if the frontend has to stay so basic. Now, if I didn't have those two devices, I would be working my tail off to get it set up ASAP, lol.
in retroarch wii you can only use the rgui interface it is not like the vita and wiiu, you can also use the xmb interface so it cannot be modified in the same way but you can put dynamic background and boxart and overlays although that option is difficult to configure. sory my english

Kinghenry8515

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
in retroarch wii you can only use the rgui interface it is not like the vita and wiiu, you can also use the xmb interface so it cannot be modified in the same way but you can put dynamic background and boxart and overlays although that option is difficult to configure. sory my english

Thank you very much. That is what I thought, but I could not find a clear answer. I appreciate your response.

JuanMena

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Quick question

Thanks in advance.

For some reason I'm not getting notifications on replies.
About this, yes, you can "mAkE iT lOOk pRitY" with Custom Themes.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, everything almost double nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    But I could go to Aldis and get a cookie pie for like $4
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or use your new cooking pan and make some, don't mind the Old leftover foods mixed in.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just eat plain flour around cops
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    thats Gluten abuse, they would shoot you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends on the color chart
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wheat flour has a lower chance at survival
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Isn't wheat flour the whitest of the white?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Rye would get shot at sight.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends
    img_5941-1.jpeg
    everyone mixing their flour now days
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's whole wheat, right? Because all purpose flour is also made from wheat.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm not a flour expert I just snort it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There also is black rice flour, and its really black colored
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Bruh that's gray.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's ancientboi color
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    You need to add some activated charcoal.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've seen some that are dark dark, my wifey uses it sometimes in her bs recipes
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Seems like your wifey likes hers black. :creep:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "BS" stands for "Bowel Scraping" because that's what whole grain does.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been eating honey wheat bread scrumptious
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/9xDkOHc lol living on the edge
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/9xDkOHc lol living on the edge