Leaked GoldenEye 007 achievement list hint at possible new port

GoldenEye007box.jpg

GoldenEye 007 on the Nintendo 64 is one of the most popular shooters of its day, and remains one of the most popular games on the N64. Unfortunately, it's always been trapped on that console as the numerous rights issues surrounding it have made it difficult to re-release. It was developed by Rare, who are now owned by Microsoft, but was published by Nintendo. It also stars the literary character James Bond, and is based on a specific movie, meaning it uses the likenesses of the actors in those movies. A remaster was planned back in 2008, but was never released due to issues regarding licenses. “Microsoft, Nintendo and EON [owners of the Bond license] could never agree on terms, and that’s before you even start to consider getting all the original movie actors to agree to have their likenesses used again," said composer Grant Kirkhope when news of the remaster came to light last year.

However, it's looking as if those issues may have been worked out, as a new listing on TrueAchievements.com, which scrapes Microsoft's servers for achievements, has been put up for GoldenEye 007 on the Xbox. While no official word has come yet, this indicates a strong possibility that the re-release could be coming soon, especially with Microsoft and Nintendo working together more closely in recent years.

PatrickD85

Trophies
Website
www.nintendoreporters.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I hope not, Goldeneye is horrible to emulate so the remaster would be a better choice seeing as you can just swap back to n64 graphics anyway
Was that stated to be an option anywhere? Dont get me wrong I would love that (as compared to how games like Wonder Boy and the Dragon's Trap did it) But I did not know that was something that would be included.

If not, I'd rather have a version available on current gen systems then only be able to 'legally' be able to play it on Nintendo64. Because that is really a pain in the ass way even with all the hdmi options currently available for that system.

As for the remaster ... how in the world would that have made it through license hell?
Dont get me wrong here either, I would love for it to happen, but well ... I am still bit skeptical of what we are about to get (and where)

relauby

Idiot Child
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Was that stated to be an option anywhere? Dont get me wrong I would love that (as compared to how games like Wonder Boy and the Dragon's Trap did it) But I did not know that was something that would be included.

If not, I'd rather have a version available on current gen systems then only be able to 'legally' be able to play it on Nintendo64. Because that is really a pain in the ass way even with all the hdmi options currently available for that system.

As for the remaster ... how in the world would that have made it through license hell?
Dont get me wrong here either, I would love for it to happen, but well ... I am still bit skeptical of what we are about to get (and where)
No, there's nothing to suggest that'll be a thing. Microsoft or Nintendo or anybody has acknowledged this project publicly yet, so there's no official info anywhere. I also think it's relatively rare for games to include that feature, honestly. Halo is the only one I can think of that does

Reactions: PatrickD85

PatrickD85

Trophies
Website
www.nintendoreporters.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
No, there's nothing to suggest that'll be a thing. Microsoft or Nintendo or anybody has acknowledged this project publicly yet, so there's no official info anywhere. I also think it's relatively rare for games to include that feature, honestly. Halo is the only one I can think of that does
Ah ok, thought perhaps something was datamined or similiar that noted it. But I don't see that happening for Goldeneye to be honest. That being said, any Goldeneye development, will be loved for sure. It's a IP with such a rich history and following ... it will be fun for sure :)

Reactions: relauby

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I still wonder how the licensing was sorted out if this is coming out. Always seems to be "Nintendo saying no" in the past or EON having the final say and they just don't want this.

My guess is that there's going to be a long period of 007 drought with no news of a new James Bond movie in development anytime soon or that new Bond game from IO is stuck in a catch 22 where it can't develop the game without knowing who the new Bond will be.
Maybe Nintendo just paid some kind of one-time-fee for the use of the 007 license to make this happen. Either way, I hope it's not a port of the Wii version, but the 360 version instead.

M7L7NK7

Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia

The leaked version has that option, so it's there unless they scrap it

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just allow it already, with their stupid licenses.... You'll get more money by just allowing the game than just licensing issues. So tupid...

Day 1 purchase if this comes out and I bet many others will do.

So please please Nintendo, bond license owners, etc, Please allow the game....

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still wonder how the licensing was sorted out if this is coming out. Always seems to be "Nintendo saying no" in the past or EON having the final say and they just don't want this.

My guess is that there's going to be a long period of 007 drought with no news of a new James Bond movie in development anytime soon or that new Bond game from IO is stuck in a catch 22 where it can't develop the game without knowing who the new Bond will be.
It was never really in Nintendo's power to say anything about the license. Goldeneye was always a problem with EON and at the time whichever publisher they are contracted with to make games with them. The most popular and seemingly accurate theory has to do with the fact that EON prefers heavily to have their main leading (current) Bond be the focus of their media and not any of the past meaning that any game featuring any Bond previous to the current one to be rejected by EON regardless of how much money it could make them. Even that horrible Goldeneye game that came out under Activision in 2010 they used Craig's Bond over Brosnan as it was that important to EON to keep him as the focus regardless of the fact that the game's love was not of the movie it was tied to, but of the people who worked on it originally.

The only instance that this seems to not be the case was "From Russia with Love" that actually used Sean Connery's Bond in the game. That said however this was in between/before Daniel Craig's Bond was shown to the world, which means that this only came out likely due to there not being a new/current Bond in the media space at the time. Considering the fact that "No Time to Die" is Daniel Craig's last film as James Bond it might mean the opportunity to re-release some classic Bond games is extremely possible within the current time.

If MS/Rare play their cards right at this very moment, they could very well get the Goldeneye remaster finally out to market. If that happens you bet your arse I am buying an Xbox X.

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
watch Xbox players get the beautiful XBLA remaster while Switch owners get the original N64 rom :D
No looks like both will get the original N64 rom (eventually Switch too). I would love to see the XBLA remaster make it to either platform though, it is much better imo. Not sure who, if anybody, actually has the rights to XBLA remaster that was leaked last year. Time will tell I guess.

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No looks like both will get the original N64 rom (eventually Switch too). I would love to see the XBLA remaster make it to either platform though, it is much better imo. Not sure who, if anybody, actually has the rights to XBLA remaster that was leaked last year. Time will tell I guess.
Its not really a rights issue given that this was developed internally with no actual release. After all you really cannot claim to have rights to something that never came out officially. That said if its a pull between two entities its going to be Rare/MS and EON on the matter of release. The latter having the rights to the entire franchise and the former just being the developer behind it.

In fact the reason why the XBLA release did not happen at all years back seems to be the result of EON knocking it off the table at the time. Did not help that they also had partnered with another game dev at the time as well, which when seeing the desire for a remaster instead gave everyone "their version" of the game, which was basically a reskinned version of CoD. That said, this was back then, EON has not really partnered with a game studio for years now and the current Bond is finally retired making the possibility of porting older Bond games a high possibility.

Its basically up to EON now, and for MS/Rare to push for it like they never have before. This would be a good time for a movement to happen to get the fans riled up for it again.

Reactions: BigOnYa

Darkworld92

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Its not really a rights issue given that this was developed internally with no actual release. After all you really cannot claim to have rights to something that never came out officially. That said if its a pull between two entities its going to be Rare/MS and EON on the matter of release. The latter having the rights to the entire franchise and the former just being the developer behind it.

In fact the reason why the XBLA release did not happen at all years back seems to be the result of EON knocking it off the table at the time. Did not help that they also had partnered with another game dev at the time as well, which when seeing the desire for a remaster instead gave everyone "their version" of the game, which was basically a reskinned version of CoD. That said, this was back then, EON has not really partnered with a game studio for years now and the current Bond is finally retired making the possibility of porting older Bond games a high possibility.

Its basically up to EON now, and for MS/Rare to push for it like they never have before. This would be a good time for a movement to happen to get the fans riled up for it again.
Several Rare devs who worked on the XBLA project said Nintendo was indeed the stumbling block that prevented this remaster from happening, everybody else was on board; Activision, Microsoft, Rare, EON, MGM, except someone from Nintendo who said no.

Reactions: BigOnYa

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I need shrooms to read his comments