Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild to have a $19.99 DLC pack

zeldaheader2 (1).jpg

Nintendo's latest Zelda game has just gotten an interesting bit of news. The title will be launching with an Expansion Pass which will allow access to two DLC packs that will be available later this year in 2017. Pre-purchasing the Expansion Pass now will cause three treasure chests to appear in the world, with extra items. One of which being an outfit for Link, which has the Nintendo Switch logo on it. The first DLC pack for the game is set to launch this Summer, and will include a new Hard Mode, a challenge, and a new in-game map feature. The second pack will launch Holiday 2017 and will have a brand new Story addition and a new dungeon. Both the Switch and the Wii U will be getting these DLCs.

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for the Nintendo Switch and Wii U consoles is one of the largest, most engaging video games Nintendo has ever created. While the main game offers players an engrossing quest that will keep them entertained for hours, as well as the freedom to explore the vast Hyrule at their own pace, the game world provides a rich canvas that offers the opportunity for additional adventures. As a result, the first-ever downloadable content for the main-line Legend of Zelda series is in development.

Starting when The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild launches on March 3, players will be able to purchase an Expansion Pass for $19.99, granting access to two new sets of downloadable content for the game when they become available later this year. (Graphic: Business Wire)

Starting when the game launches on March 3, players will be able to purchase an Expansion Pass for $19.99, granting access to two new sets of downloadable content for the game when they become available later this year. Immediately upon pre-purchase or purchase of the Expansion Pass, three new treasure chests will appear in the game’s Great Plateau area. One of these treasure chests will contain a shirt with a Nintendo Switch logo that Link can wear during his adventure, exclusive to the Expansion Pass. The other two will deliver useful items. The first content pack is scheduled to launch this summer, and will include the addition of a Cave of Trials challenge, a new hard mode and a new feature for the in-game map. The second content pack will launch in Holiday 2017, and adds new challenges that will let players enjoy a new dungeon and a new original story. The Expansion Pass will be available for both the Nintendo Switch and Wii U versions of the game and are identical. Content packs cannot be purchased individually.

“The world of Hyrule, which we created for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, is so large and vibrant that we wanted to offer more for players to experience within it,” said Nintendo developer Eiji Aonuma, the longtime producer of the series. “With this new Expansion Pass, we hope that fans will play, explore and enjoy the game even more.”

Aonuma also created a brief video to share more details about the Expansion Pass. It can be viewed at http://cts.businesswire.com/ct/CT?i...&index=4&md5=8eaa4ec7c77e62fcb4c0b16700a2b3ff.

For more information about The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, visit http://cts.businesswire.com/ct/CT?i...&index=5&md5=25c10a84a5cc09f20e1418056380e331.

Remember that Nintendo Switch features parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit http://cts.businesswire.com/ct/CT?i...&index=6&md5=7f0306c430dd0cf8360bf01681f9559d.

:arrow: Eiji Aonuma made a video to explain the DLC here

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Then don't buy it, you dumb monkey. It's optional. Guaranteed anyone buying it will be because they love the game and want more. If I play and enjoy the game for 100 hours, then $20 for hard mode and some hours more content is more than worth it.
Having skewed pricing as a standard is dangerous because where do you draw the line? What system do you use to judge the worth of a DLC? There is none. Besides, why have it skewed in the first place? What purpose does it serve you other than baiting you?
Because if you make it an arbitrary fanboy loyalty competition, the next guy (belonging in the next tier in rabid fanboyism that comes after yours) will tell you what you told me if that same content costed $100. And if the standard bumps up, you are cut out of getting any DLC because people accept even more skewed prices for no sensible reason. Which is already the case now as you literally rationalized paying for more than something is worth while calling others dumb.

Can I skip it? I already do because DLC prices are fucked everywhere; I never buy DLC and only get legitimate full expansions. Is it a good thing that there is an exploitative, arbitrary non-standard where companies make up random jacked prices completely detached from the actual required effort to fuck over a returning consumer whenever it comes to DLC? Well, you do seem to be happy to pay an arbitrary retard tax for the sake of "love", so go you.
I always find it funny when people object to content creation because they're too cheap to buy it.
You got too many amiibo statuines covering your screen there; if you could clearly see the post, you'd have seen that the complaint was about the unfair price comparison, not the creation of additional content itself.

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Look at the conventional gaming industry (xb, ps). Pros- (arguably) good hardware, vast 3rd party support. Cons- paid content, in app purchases, paywalls, paid online. Nintendo in previews gens took another route- one- time payment for a whole game, weak specs and (almost) no 3rd parties. Now with the switch it looks like they took all the bad things from the conventional consoles- paid online, dlc, but nothung good- still bad hardware, weak 3rd party support. Like, looks like cheap tricks to me
How is it bad hardware? Its specs match the xbox ones. You are making an argument out of ignorance.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

This "story" adds only one more dungeon - so, it's a side-quest
How is one more dungeon a side quest? You and many others are making arguments out of ignorance.

Look at the conventional gaming industry (xb, ps). Pros- (arguably) good hardware, vast 3rd party support. Cons- paid content, in app purchases, paywalls, paid online. Nintendo in previews gens took another route- one- time payment for a whole game, weak specs and (almost) no 3rd parties. Now with the switch it looks like they took all the bad things from the conventional consoles- paid online, dlc, but nothung good- still bad hardware, weak 3rd party support. Like, looks like cheap tricks to me
Paid online is the way of the industry deal with it if youre seriously worried paying $25 im guessing youre a child?
DLC adds content to an already full game look at witcher 3 and then the blood and wine DLC.

D

Deleted User

How is it bad hardware? Its specs match the xbox ones. You are making an argument out of ignorance.

How is one more dungeon a side quest? You and many others are making arguments out of ignorance.

Paid online is the way of the industry deal with it if youre seriously worried paying $25 im guessing youre a child?
DLC adds content to an already full game look at witcher 3 and then the blood and wine DLC.
In what aspect exactly it matches the xb1? Memory? Ram? Cpu? No, non of the above. And of course, not the gpu. Please, dont say things you dont know. You cant build portable xb1- it generates too much heat and needs too much power.
Also I am a part-time pc gamer. Why should I ever bother with paying for online? Its (xb live...) not going to the game devs/ servers, its just sony/ms making money for nothing. Why I have to pay to watch yt on my xb360 (yes, I own one, dont ask why)? It doesnt hav e anything to do with me being child or not. (Btw i aint, but call me whatever u want if that pleases you). I as a college student dont have enough money to pay for such stupid things, but that isnt the point- if you had to pay 4 cents to pass in some street each time- would you pass there? Doesnt it sound rediculous? Then why pay for online services which are useless? Also as they mentioned- "you might need also to pay another subscription fee for some services" - Im not making this up. Thats just STUPID...

Btw one proof that its not even compareable with xb1- they ported fifa from ps3/xb360 version rather then porting from xb1. I guess that this is due to it being a lot closer to it spec-wise.

TheDarkGreninja

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In what aspect exactly it matches the xb1? Memory? Ram? Cpu? No, non of the above. And of course, not the gpu. Please, dont say things you dont know. You cant build portable xb1- it generates too much heat and needs too much power.
Also I am a part-time pc gamer. Why should I ever bother with paying for online? Its (xb live...) not going to the game devs/ servers, its just sony/ms making money for nothing. Why I have to pay to watch yt on my xb360 (yes, I own one, dont ask why)? It doesnt hav e anything to do with me being child or not. (Btw i aint, but call me whatever u want if that pleases you). I as a college student dont have enough money to pay for such stupid things, but that isnt the point- if you had to pay 4 cents to pass in some street each time- would you pass there? Doesnt it sound rediculous? Then why pay for online services which are useless? Also as they mentioned- "you might need also to pay another subscription fee for some services" - Im not making this up. Thats just STUPID...

Btw one proof that its not even compareable with xb1- they ported fifa from ps3/xb360 version rather then porting from xb1. I guess that this is due to it being a lot closer to it spec-wise.
Cpu-wise it matches PS4.
GPU-wise it matches XBONE
RAM-wise it is close to the amount PS4 uses.
You obviously know nothing about tech, seems someone is stuck in 2006, your knowledge is lacking.
Once again proving youre a kid "Why do I have to pay for anything?"

DarthDub

Amateur Hacker
Trophies
Website
www.gaiaonline.com
XP
Country
United States
Heaven forbid a developer wants to add more content to their games. You guys act so FUCKING entitled like it's the end of the world. Get a job. It's only 20 dollars. You don't have to buy it if you don't want to. Game is already complete and it's HUGE. Stop acting like Nintendo is EA, cause frankly they're not. Nintendo makes quality games, EA simply publishes.

D

Deleted User

Cpu-wise it matches PS4.
GPU-wise it matches XBONE
RAM-wise it is close to the amount PS4 uses.
You obviously know nothing about tech, seems someone is stuck in 2006, your knowledge is lacking.
Once again proving youre a kid "Why do I have to pay for anything?"
Why do you think that its matches with xb1 or ps4 on any category? What are your sources? We know that it runs on arm processor, which is a smartphone processor. And dont ypu dare to say that ANY smartphone (at least the common ones) could even BARELY match the ps4.... the developers already said that its a really weak hardware and lots of them wont even bother downscaling their games to such low specs (titanfall for example).
IF YOU HAVE ANY INFO THAT SUGESTS THAT IT COULD MATCH THE PS4, PLEASE, SHARE IT WITH ME. And btw Im all for paying for games vs. Free to play titles, im just against gaming companies grabbing money for nothing. You arent a Real man just because you pay twenty something bucks a year for nothing... please stop being fanboy, that makes you look stupid... the more we will be angry for bad products, the better they will be next time. And again, not only kids dont have money, how much kid- homeles'es you have seen compared to adults?

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do you think that its matches with xb1 or ps4 on any category? What are your sources? We know that it runs on arm processor, which is a smartphone processor. And dont ypu dare to say that ANY smartphone (at least the common ones) could even BARELY match the ps4.... the developers already said that its a really weak hardware and lots of them wont even bother downscaling their games to such low specs (titanfall for example).
IF YOU HAVE ANY INFO THAT SUGESTS THAT IT COULD MATCH THE PS4, PLEASE, SHARE IT WITH ME. And btw Im all for paying for games vs. Free to play titles, im just against gaming companies grabbing money for nothing. You arent a Real man just because you pay twenty something bucks a year for nothing... please stop being fanboy, that makes you look stupid... the more we will be angry for bad products, the better they will be next time. And again, not only kids dont have money, how much kid- homeles'es you have seen compared to adults?
ARM is more efficient than x86 and the X1 (or X1.5 as people have been calling this) is a few generations newer than the hardware in either of the current consoles

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do you think that its matches with xb1 or ps4 on any category? What are your sources?

Sauce:
https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...itch_soc_clock_speed_and_architecture_leaked/

The Reddit community did some conversion numbers between the XBONE's AMD architecture and the Switch's Nvidia and found the switch to be about 90% as powerful as an XBONE. I can't find the source on the conversion, may have been deleted as it looked like a shitpost, but others commented that the conversion was completed in comment sections of other threads there and matched what was posted in the shitpost thread.

D

Deleted User

Sauce:
https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...itch_soc_clock_speed_and_architecture_leaked/

The Reddit community did some conversion numbers between the XBONE's AMD architecture and the Switch's Nvidia and found the switch to be about 90% as powerful as an XBONE. I can't find the source on the conversion, may have been deleted as it looked like a shitpost, but others commented that the conversion was completed in comment sections of other threads there and matched what was posted in the shitpost thread.
Look, im not an expert in this field, im still learning.. and im not a nintendo hater. but from what I know, a lot of 3d party devs say that the specs are bad and they wont port their games to that console. Either they are wrong and then we will still get less games, which still is worse for the switch, or they are right and that also is a bad thing. Anyways few games that are multyplats (cant remember where I saw it, sorry) and were leaked/ shown, when compared to ps4 ports we can clearly see the diffrences in the ammount of particles and polygon count (less obvious). Still, i hope Im wrong and the switch is good. But dont expect ps4 graphics and gaming experience on the go... and even if it is close to the ps4, you know that ps4 Is 250$ right? So you get the winner of this gen for less money?

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still, i hope Im wrong and the switch is good. But dont expect ps4 graphics and gaming experience on the go... and even if it is close to the ps4, you know that ps4 Is 250$ right? So you get the winner of this gen for less money?

Well, two things here, the specs were compared to the XBONE, not the PS4, which we all know who the clear winner is between those two (it's PS4). So by comparing to XBONE we already know PS4 is much more powerful than the Switch. Second, the Switch is a HYBRID console - Handheld AND Home console. The fact that we can have 90% of an XBONE in our hands on the go is what I consider a modern marvel.

To add to this, the Switch can run Unreal Engine 4 along with XBONE and PS4. I would not be surprised if FF VII Remake is announced for it to be honest.

From what I know, a lot of 3d party devs say that the specs are bad and they wont port their games to that console.

A lot of developers walk on eggshells when it comes to Nintendo because they have a reputation of always being the under-powered console which is still true, but they have also always had a great sense of censorship with their video games which were always aimed at children. The Switch is changing that, and their target demographic is ages 20-40 which according to the turnout at the various showcases they've had, seem to be meeting that.

And for developers that don't even have a dev kit to say that is very selfish (if they say they won't port to it, they don't have a dev kit to even try). They will get one eventually because I think the Switch will be a great success, and developers want money and to reach as broad of an audience as possible. The conversion time for developers to move to the Switch has been reduced by 75% of what it was for the Wii and Wii U (which is another reason they never got a lot of 3rd party support), so I see a lot of support for it in the near future.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TheDarkGreninja

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
ARM is more efficient than x86 and the X1 (or X1.5 as people have been calling this) is a few generations newer than the hardware in either of the current consoles
ARM is more efficient than x86 in the sense you can get the same clocks at much lower tempratures and power draw. x86 can still run more complex code though.
But this isnt an issue with an ARM chip that has a high clock. Thats why 4 A72's equals 8 Jaguar x86 cores, really shows how far mobile chips have developed.

Now to everyone else:

As for GPU power 1Tflop of Nvidia's pascal is about 1.6 GCN (the architecture found in XBONE/PS4 excluding the pro)
The Switchs key issue is lack of cores in the GPU.

I don't get why DLC just isn't in the game, I mean I'm already paying $60 for the game
Yes you're paying for the game, which you're getting, not the stuff being developed after, thats like saying "why should I buy MM when I bought OOT?"
Just because its added on to the game doesnt mean it is unlocked, this stuff is being developed AFTER the completion of the game, its been completed for a month now.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4
D

Deleted User

ARM is more efficient than x86 in the sense you can get the same clocks at much lower tempratures and power draw. x86 can still run more complex code though.
But this isnt an issue with an ARM chip that has a high clock. Thats why 4 A72's equals 8 Jaguar x86 cores, really shows how far mobile chips have developed.

Now to everyone else:

As for GPU power 1Tflop of Nvidia's pascal is about 1.6 GCN (the architecture found in XBONE/PS4 excluding the pro)
The Switchs key issue is lack of cores in the GPU.

Yes you're paying for the game, which you're getting, not the stuff being developed after, thats like saying "why should I buy MM when I bought OOT?"
Just because its added on to the game doesnt mean it is unlocked, this stuff is being developed AFTER the completion of the game, its been completed for a month now.
Bad example... the only common thing in mm and oot is the models, everything else is diffrent. They are seperate games. But here we see a game that comes with locked content. Like, we know about a dlc even before the game has launched. It feels like being cheated....

Well, two things here, the specs were compared to the XBONE, not the PS4, which we all know who the clear winner is between those two (it's PS4). So by comparing to XBONE we already know PS4 is much more powerful than the Switch. Second, the Switch is a HYBRID console - Handheld AND Home console. The fact that we can have 90% of an XBONE in our hands on the go is what I consider a modern marvel.

To add to this, the Switch can run Unreal Engine 4 along with XBONE and PS4. I would not be surprised if FF VII Remake is announced for it to be honest.

A lot of developers walk on eggshells when it comes to Nintendo because they have a reputation of always being the under-powered console which is still true, but they have also always had a great sense of censorship with their video games which were always aimed at children. The Switch is changing that, and their target demographic is ages 20-40 which according to the turnout at the various showcases they've had, seem to be meeting that.

And for developers that don't even have a dev kit to say that is very selfish (if they say they won't port to it, they don't have a dev kit to even try). They will get one eventually because I think the Switch will be a great success, and developers want money and to reach as broad of an audience as possible. The conversion time for developers to move to the Switch has been reduced by 75% of what it was for the Wii and Wii U (which is another reason they never got a lot of 3rd party support), so I see a lot of support for it in the near future.
1. Ps4 and xb1 are pretty close in terms of specs, while ps4 is leading its not like the diffrence is day and night...
2. The switch runs the unreal engine in MEDIUM settings, while xb1 and ps4 run it in HIGH (and pc can run it in ultra iirc) so thats not SO great. Not saying thats bad, but it definetly isnt perfect.
3. They said 90 % in docked mode and afaik its overclocked in docked mode. I dont think that you can take on the go xb1 performance yet...

And i dont see any objective reason to buy the switch for home use (at least in the first year), there arent any launch titles to really enjoy (except zelda) and ps4 is cheaper...
Anyways this gen is pretty wierd, two ninty consoles in the same gen and ms and sony only show hardware revision which isnt really a new gen, or at least so I think...

TheDarkGreninja

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Bad example... the only common thing in mm and oot is the models, everything else is diffrent. They are seperate games. But here we see a game that comes with locked content. Like, we know about a dlc even before the game has launched. It feels like being cheated....

1. Ps4 and xb1 are pretty close in terms of specs, while ps4 is leading its not like the diffrence is day and night...
2. The switch runs the unreal engine in MEDIUM settings, while xb1 and ps4 run it in HIGH (and pc can run it in ultra iirc) so thats not SO great. Not saying thats bad, but it definetly isnt perfect.
3. They said 90 % in docked mode and afaik its overclocked in docked mode. I dont think that you can take on the go xb1 performance yet...

And i dont see any objective reason to buy the switch for home use (at least in the first year), there arent any launch titles to really enjoy (except zelda) and ps4 is cheaper...
Anyways this gen is pretty wierd, two ninty consoles in the same gen and ms and sony only show hardware revision which isnt really a new gen, or at least so I think...

Actually no. MM shares 90% of its assets with OOT.
1. The difference between switch and the other two isnt day and night.
2. The switch runs it on High not medium (high is 2 not 3 fool). And before i get called a liar I AM A UE4 DEV. It runs portable mode in medium and PS4 and XBONE run Epic there is no such thing as ultra in ue4 presets.
For reference:
Switch ~ 2
PS4~ 2.7

3. You know nothing, Switch CANT overclock.

How you know so little yet act like you know so much...

Reactions: Maximilious
D

Deleted User

2. The switch runs it on High not medium (high is 2 not 3 fool). And before i get called a liar I AM A UE4 DEV. It runs portable mode in medium and PS4 and XBONE run Epic there is no such thing as ultra in ue4 presets.
For reference:
Switch ~ 2
PS4~ 2.7

exactly, the only things MM and OOT share are the assets, while a dlc is just another part of the same game, that you have to pay for.

1. have you seen a comparison of screenshots? please go see one of those.
2. whatever, my point wasn't the name of the setting but the fact that the switch runs at lower settings (and resolution?) compared to the other consoles, and with that you cant argue. I know that even that medium is pretty good but not when compared to other older hardware (2013 is a little older, right?) and for some people the graphics are the whole reason they buy a console...
3. from the rumors that I read that's what they say. you can also see that games run on 720p when portable and on higher (1080p for mario kart, 900p for zelda) when docked. it will make sense to change clock rate when not needed or when connected to better power supply. I can link a lot of sites stating that the switch *will* be overclocked when docked...

when I am not sure I write "iirc" or "afaik" compared to your total confidence that's a lot less confident... please read what you write- "you know so little..." and what are you? do you have inside information that I dont have access to? do you program now for the switch, are you working inside nintendo? if the answer is "no" then all your knowledge has the same source as mine- rumors. so dont be so confident (or at least dont ask others to be less confident)

Last edited by ,

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't get why DLC just isn't in the game, I mean I'm already paying $60 for the game

Because that's what the rest of the industry does in 2017.

Why do they (the rest of the industry) do it? The "worse than pirates" can buy a used game (that the publishers already got paid for back when it was bought new) without paying them (the publishers) again. But it's hard to do that with DLC, particularly on unhacked systems. So leave shit out of a game and make everyone pay for it. It's a racket.

Last edited by tbb043,
Reactions: Deleted User

TheDarkGreninja

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
exactly, the only things MM and OOT share are the assets, while a dlc is just another part of the same game, that you have to pay for.

1. have you seen a comparison of screenshots? please go see one of those.
2. whatever, my point wasn't the name of the setting but the fact that the switch runs at lower settings (and resolution?) compared to the other consoles, and with that you cant argue. I know that even that medium is pretty good but not when compared to other older hardware (2013 is a little older, right?) and for some people the graphics are the whole reason they buy a console...

You are infuriating. The reason I used MM was because MM was basically DLC for OOT as it shared nearly everything with that game and was MUCH shorter than OOT.

1. Those comparisons ARENT IN UE4.
2.The switch runs at lower settings but they are not massive.
Im done arguing.

Reactions: Maximilious

DarthDub

Amateur Hacker
Trophies
Website
www.gaiaonline.com
XP
Country
United States
For reference:
Switch ~ 2
PS4~ 2.7

Source? I'm curious to how you know that the Switch can't overclock.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: good morning everyone