Hacking Let' s Get Some HYPE!

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i estimate 3/4ths of this site are pirates we only say were not to stay under the radar but yes it's a huge deal i agree even though sony will just patch it up day 1

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Interesting to see where this leads beyond userland... and hopefully it will be software based, rather than hardware.

.. I can see trueblue stirring.....:shit:
i feel that hard modding is probably required to some degree but someone could make a software side underground if the proper data is dumped (keys most likely)

Reactions: KiiWii

Leeful

GBAtemp Member
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This reminds me of the 'aux hax' by fail0verflow and the 'exploiting PS4 video apps' by m0rph3us1987 that were going around about the same time last year.

Let's hope this time something useful is found.

Reactions: KiiWii

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Interesting to see where this leads beyond userland... and hopefully it will be software based, rather than hardware.

Maybe time to buy shares in bluray writer companies?

.. I can see trueblue stirring.....:shit:

Or Kalisto. Code execution on a bluray disc might end up like Dreamcast MilCD.

In some ways I hope this is nothing, because it's still too soon for PS4.

noctis90210

Trophies
XP
Country
this will be the same as last years 36c3... they said some code execution (people become hyped specially in ps4 segment)... when they showed it, nothing is really useful for end users... thats why ps4 scene now is almost in near death situation... but for sure something good will come, but not too soon...

Last edited by noctis90210,

contezero

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Altought very interesting this is not going to give the end user any code running on ps4, neither user or kernel mode. The hack is about running code on che cpu of the optical drive (not on the PS4). Since drives (both optical and hard disk) are complex devices they have a cpu and a firmware; exploiting the cpu is nothing new. It is possible to install a custom firmware in many hard drives but this is of no interest for end users. Best thing we can hope for is a way to replace optical drives in non-modded Ps4. We had optical sata disk emulator for both xbox and ps3. If it was doable to create an ODE for Ps4 or Xbox one someone would have already done.

Reactions: Darksabre72

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If it was doable to create an ODE for Ps4 or Xbox one someone would have already done.

Sony kept blocking ODE on the PS3, so it's safe to assume they'll do the same on the PS4. I would guess that it's just not worth it financially.

They will probably patch any exploit that is published at christmas as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, Mario Moonlight exists?