Suggestion Limiting new users to 1 thread, then a cooldown timer. We also need more staff

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Newbies need to be limited to being only able to make 1 thread then a cooldown. This kind of spam is making the forums a mess
IMG_4156.jpegIMG_4158.jpegIMG_4157.jpeg
Reporting them isn’t enough to deal with them when it honestly shouldn’t happen in the first place. A new user shouldn’t be allowed to completely spam the forums with nothing slowing them down. My suggestion is that just as the title says, limit them to 1 thread then add a cooldown before they can make another thread. This cooldown could honestly be whatever time the staff feels would be helpful, I think 15-30 minutes is a pretty decent time frame.

I also think there needs to be more staff members. The fact that we often only see 1 to 2 staff online while the forums are being spammed sucks. Maybe add low level staff that only does spam bot clean up? Just something to deal with the fact that the site is constantly being spammed.

Seriously, this is all of the spam being posted during the time of writing this post and after this thread was made
IMG_4159.jpeg

Last edited by The Catboy,

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
before new users can make any new threats
they should leave 5 to 10 comments first
That can be a major annoyance to users who register to post a legitimate question - and this happens a lot.

We will keep fighting spam but we won't be resorting to dumb options such as blocking new users altogether or charging them a fee :rolleyes:

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
To be fair, the Temp is run by actual competent people. I do trust whatever does come of this, it will be more than anything Twitter is doing.
I don't know why they even pretend at having moderation anymore. I reported somebody the other day whose pinned post was 'n*****s suck' with attached images of random black people.

Two days later: 'This person hasn't broken our policies.'

:wacko:

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
To respond more seriously than I did before, I have been a member here for 16 years and spam has always been a problem. The measures we have now to combat it is lightyears ahead of what we had when I first joined but the problem is pretty much the same. As people have said previously the issue is we are not dealing with bots we are dealing with people. People in third world countries being paid pennies to spam sites like this, twitter, facebook etc as a living. It is a whole dark industry where people even go into offices every day to do this sort of thing.

Nothing you implement will eliminate the spam because you are dealing with humans. Falling short of charging people money or severely crippling a new users experience of the site. First impressions are important, a bad initial user experience will lead to someone never coming back. There are not many sites like the Temp left catering to our niche, the majority have perished. We need to make sure that we do not cause the sites decline by being too obsessed with eliminating the spam issue.

Honestly though I think this is being blown out of proportion to an extent. I remember spam being a lot more horrid in terms of what it actually was back in the day. Now it is mainly just scams and advertising.Which although not nice to see is easy to ignore, just hit the report button and move on.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
To respond more seriously than I did before, I have been a member here for 16 years and spam has always been a problem. The measures we have now to combat it is lightyears ahead of what we had when I first joined but the problem is pretty much the same. As people have said previously the issue is we are not dealing with bots we are dealing with people. People in third world countries being paid pennies to spam sites like this, twitter, facebook etc as a living. It is a whole dark industry where people even go into offices every day to do this sort of thing.

Nothing you implement will eliminate the spam because you are dealing with humans. Falling short of charging people money or severely crippling a new users experience of the site. First impressions are important, a bad initial user experience will lead to someone never coming back. There are not many sites like the Temp left catering to our niche, the majority have perished. We need to make sure that we do not cause the sites decline by being too obsessed with eliminating the spam issue.

Honestly though I think this is being blown out of proportion to an extent. I remember spam being a lot more horrid in terms of what it actually was back in the day. Now it is mainly just scams and advertising.Which although not nice to see is easy to ignore, just hit the report button and move on.
I do not believe my suggestion would stop spam, that’s not doable. I just don’t think newbies should be allowed to make thread after thread without a cooldown. And that they shouldn’t be allowed to spam preexisting threads without a reasonable cooldown. I think a reasonable cooldown period until something like 10-20 posts wouldn’t be too much to ask for. Spam will happen but it won’t get nearly as bad as it gets. I have yet to be convinced as to why a cooldown would be a bad thing. I’ve also not been convinced that newbies should be allowed to spam the forums.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
the problem with that is the little shits don't use the same title thread over and over again. they are even disguising the thread titles now. they still don't fool me though I'll ninja dat report button

• Haha
Reactions: Maximumbeans

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Can't you create some kind of degraded lower responsibility class of moderator.
Something like "Spam Flagger" or whatever, someone that has a "report" button on steroids.

Users which have been granted this "power" could mark a given user (or thread) as spam.
The user/thread will then be automatically reported for later review by a real moderator.

All threads from the given user will be then marked as "Spam Flagged" (also newly created ones) and will immediately be hidden from the recent content list, not deleted but hidden. Also if somebody directly access one such thread it would be tagged as "Flagged as Spam" (so one can easily avoid them, perhaps filter them out as an option).

After later review by a real moderator, the user/thread will either be dealt with (banned?) or the "Flagged as Spam" tag will be removed from their user content. Any user that has been granted the "Spam Flagger" power will be penalized if he abuses it (as in removing that power e.g.).

I believe this would be such a low responsibility "power" it could be given to many users without causing big problems. And it would make moderators life easier.

PS: I just got annoyed after seeing the 5000th new thread about selling fake medicine via WhatsApp. Also, if it is such a low-effort low responsibility "power" I would take it, I guess most regulars here would accept such a low effort task.

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just for a sneakpeak and you realise even how many spammers that get by (Often freaking hired people...) the amount that gets blocked and await approval is like 10x that.

For example:

View attachment 434142
All of the e-mails are 'temporary', and are linked to temp-mail(.)org. There are people out there who offer services to spam these forums, and even perform 'credential stuffing' attacks on members who have been here for way longer to advertise their crypto pyramid schemes.

image.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: horny jail is full la