Linux Mint VS Fedora Linux VS Windows XP (Which one do I get?)

MrMcTiller

GBATemp's Tiller
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't know what GPU you have? It's quite possible that you just have on board Intel graphics, and if that's the case, there is no official driver. You'll just have to tweak Ubuntu's font renderer, or use something besides Ubuntu (Mint is Ubuntu). I recommend BunsenLabs, but that's just me.
So... um... yeah I have the onboard Intel graphics. I am a noob to this stuff.
There's a window that pops up first boot after installing with a link to the driver manager.

If you're using the live iso, you need to actually install it. The desktop past part of the ISO is just for trialling Linux Mint / troubleshooting broken systems.

Not necessary to know, the driver manager auto detects
All I want to do is use the Live boot to install to a USB. When I have it installed, will it fix the problem? Or, do I need a different driver? I just need some more explaining about what would be causing the issues.

MrMcTiller

GBATemp's Tiller
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I love Mint, Crunchbang Plus Plus has stolen my heart.
Wow... looks cool... I just need to get a 10 TB harddrive and install ALL OF THE OSs

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Just do the install, then if still needed you can add divers. Remember, you can't install to the same drive as the live image.
My friend is lending me a USB that I can live boot from so that I can install to my USB.

MrMcTiller

GBATemp's Tiller
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, it turns out that I may have been wrong. I though since the computer is an older computer that it would have crappy Intel graphics. But, according to the BIOS, it has:

Video Controller = ATI Radeon Xpress 1250
Video BIOS Version = 010.019.001.089.007.097
Video Memory = 256 MB
Panel Type = 12.1" Wide XGA
Native Resolution = 1280 by 800

Here is what Linux Mint says about my graphics card:

Is this any better? Also, now that you know which graphics I have, which drivers do I need?

Attachments

• System Info.png
    System Info.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 148

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I personally love Fedora, but if you've never used Linux before then I suggest using Linux Mint as a starter.
Although my personal suggestion will always be Solus Linux because it's amazing.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I have already decided on Mint, but that you anyway Lilith. :D
Fair enough! ^_^ I would like to mention that I am a seasoned Linux user (dedicated for 12 years now and haven't used Windows since,) So I can often help out if needed.

hobbledehoy899

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Despite being just about the most noob-friendly Linux distro out there, I would not recommend Linux Mint under any circumstance due to its poor security practices.
Fedora is merely a testbed for Red Hat Enterprise Linux (which by principal is not a consumer grade/desktop operating system and thus wouldn't be good for gaming), essentially Red Hat's equivalent to the Windows Insider Program.
The core of Windows XP is not modern in any stretch (it's the last version of Windows to use the NT 5 kernel) and as such not many pieces of modern software (including games) won't run on it.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Well, maybe I will try Solus. What are the main differences between Solus and Mint?
Solus is a much smaller and independent distro that aims for a cleaner and more streamline approach to software managing and desktop use. So it has less software in the repos, but makes up for it by having the most popular and need to have software. Solus also uses their own in-house DE called "Budgie," that just runs and looks amazing (so does Cinnamon, but I prefer Budgie more)
The best main difference is more so the dev and community interaction. The devs are always taking advice from the community and always looking to improve through the community. I've actually suggested several pieces of software that have made it to the repos after I asked about them. It's something you don't find with most distros and it makes Solus a very welcoming destro for those who want that kind interaction with the devs.

Reactions: MrMcTiller

MrMcTiller

GBATemp's Tiller
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Solus is a much smaller and independent distro that aims for a cleaner and more streamline approach to software managing and desktop use. So it has less software in the repos, but makes up for it by having the most popular and need to have software. Solus also uses their own in-house DE called "Budgie," that just runs and looks amazing (so does Cinnamon, but I prefer Budgie more)
The best main difference is more so the dev and community interaction. The devs are always taking advice from the community and always looking to improve through the community. I've actually suggested several pieces of software that have made it to the repos after I asked about them. It's something you don't find with most distros and it makes Solus a very welcoming destro for those who want that kind interaction with the devs.
So, I guess what I mainly want is a Distro that is easy to use. I would like to play Steam games. I need to be able to have the proper drivers for my Graphics card. I also like to use apt.

EDIT: More about the graphics card in above posts.

Last edited by MrMcTiller,

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
So, I guess what I mainly want is a Distro that is easy to use. I would like to play Steam games. I need to be able to have the proper drivers for my Graphics card. I also like to use apt.
Solus does not use apt, it uses "eopkg," but it does have Steam and actually has really good driver support. Although looking through the thread a bit, it might not work on that computer. Solus is 64-Bit only and does have some issues with older 64-Bit hardware (from my experience.) They also do provide a MATE version that is better for older hardware and worked just fine on my old laptop.

MrMcTiller

GBATemp's Tiller
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Solus does not use apt, it uses "eopkg," but it does have Steam and actually has really good driver support. Although looking through the thread a bit, it might not work on that computer. Solus is 64-Bit only and does have some issues with older 64-Bit hardware (from my experience.) They also do provide a MATE version that is better for older hardware and worked just fine on my old laptop.
So, say that I install Solus... what would I need to type into the terminal to get the proper drivers for ATI Radeon Xpress 1250?

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
So, say that I install Solus... what would I need to type into the terminal to get the proper drivers for ATI Radeon Xpress 1250?
Nope, they have a software driver manager that handles it all for you*. Having used Solus for about 2 years now, I've rarely had to install software through the terminal. In fact I rarely ever open the terminal outside of compiling some software.
*This of course implying it installs and works properly, but Linux is free, so the only thing you will be wasting is your time and effort.

Last edited by The Catboy,

MrMcTiller

GBATemp's Tiller
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope, they have a software driver manager that handles it all for you. Having used Solus for about 2 years now, I've rarely had to install software through the terminal. In fact I rarely ever open the terminal outside of compiling some software.
Oh, nice. So, what package do I need to install?

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Oh, nice. So, what package do I need to install?
The driver manager is already pre-installed on the distro itself. You just need to search for it in the menu and run it, from there and it will search for the drivers for your hardware.

Last edited by The Catboy,

MrMcTiller

GBATemp's Tiller
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The driver manager is already pre-installed on the distro itself. You just need to search for it in the menu and run it, from there it will search for the drivers for your hardware.
OK, I get it. But, I would need to be here at school... because I don't have internet at my house. Good thing it is a laptop.

EDIT: Creating bootable USB now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    bassviolet @ bassviolet: uwu