Hacking Long Winded Explanatin of IOS/CIOS

Jizmo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Arraso said:
Someone tested this with a gamecube backup?

Forget gamecube backups for now.... that is a whole different ball game. Also.... Please take CIOSCORP discussion to the active System Menu thread

thaillestone

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
my.opera.com
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the explanation on IOS and CIOS
I learned a lot
I jest had a few things to ask

1.what about a channel that lets you change your IOS
So you would run a custom menu so you could load
from the disk channel ?

2.Or a way to auto-detect the IOS on the DVD
letting your wii to load a custom menu so that would
let you boot from the disk channel ?

3.any one think that the big N will get smart and
stop the server that we download cIOS from

Jizmo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thaillestone said:
Thanks for the explanation on IOS and CIOS
I learned a lot
I jest had a few things to ask

1.what about a channel that lets you change your IOS
So you would run a custom menu so you could load
from the disk channel ?

2.Or a way to auto-detect the IOS on the DVD
letting you wii to load a custom menu so that would
let you boot from the disk channel ?

3.any one think that nintendo will get smart and
stop the server that we load from the bigN

These are the things that are being discussed and implemented with CIOSCORP and should be kept in the System Menu thread.

air2004

Air
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have to say that was truly the most thought out and artictulate post I have ever read. Thank you for taking the time out to explain it. I have a ton of games but I have gotten bored with my wii. I'm back to playing pc games again.

xoinx

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Jizmo said:
drock360 said:
Wow that was a very interesting read. This seems very unnecessary however. Wouldn't it be better to load your games from a backup launcher, rather than patch every single IOS in your wii, just so you can load your games from the disc channel? Seems very risky.

There are other benefits of doing things this way. Can you say Autoboot Backups (including autobooting Wad Manager.. etc..) from recovery mode. Before you could only boot backup disks from recovery mode if you had a mod chip. Mod Chip no longer necessary to do that.
that is indeed a benefit a few days ago, but with preloader just released today, i'd probably avoid such a major overhaul to my system... still great discovery that would made any soft mod perfectionist damn excited...
smile.gif

Matt93 said:
There have been absolutely no bricks or issues with this method so far. If there were any, it was a user error and they weren't following directions.
that's true, but let's just hope by the next ninty update, most would have turned away from CIOSCORP, or we'll be in for some major brick on all levels of the ios, starting from the sysmenu

QUOTE(MicShadow @ Jan 12 2009, 08:02 PM)
I remember watching that thread develop just from OSW and one brave temper (WiiBlaster)

Ah, I feel proud to be, sort of part of this lol
yup! interesting hack from a great community

robiul

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay let's say Nintendo release an update that modifies the CIOS does that mean you have the potential of losing the hacked IOS?
Is there a IOS which is used by all the games (I think's it's IOS30, if I read correctly) that can be used? If this is unhackable why is that?

xoinx

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
robiul said:
Okay let's say Nintendo release an update that modifies the CIOS does that mean you have the potential of losing the hacked IOS?
Is there a IOS which is used by all the games (I think's it's IOS30, if I read correctly) that can be used? If this is unhackable why is that?
i think i should be able to answer your questions

if nintendo releases an update, well losing the hacked ios would be probably the most optimistic outcome. if only that happens, nothing will stop you from patching the dip7 modules back in (ok maybe you won't be able to run trucha signed apps but that's another prob). but may happen in the worst case scenario would be the cios30 getting corrupted due to incompatibility with the update, resulting in a serious sysmenu brick since the default ios30 it runs on is broken. of course, with preloader (and soon dashboard and bootmii) the situation may not be as dire as before since there is an additional layer of brick protection that can start wad manager before it loads the bricked sys menu. but what if... all the cios patched corrupts and ios249 gets overwritten by nintendo with one that doesn't have a trucha bug (and possibly ios16), then i'm not too sure but you may not even have any ios left available to run wad manager to recover your sysmenu at all... very dangerous possibility

ios30 isn't used by all games, it is mainly used by the sysmenu and disc channel to load the banner and sounds of the disc etc. cios36r7 can be used for most games if i don't recall wrongly, though games like rockband which requires usb instruments require a different cios. however, as of now, there isn't an simple way to force all games loaded from the disc channel to boot from a single ios, not even with the CIOSCORP hack. the only way to force them to using a fixed ios aside from patching the dvd directly is to use a loader, eg backuploader or softchip.

ios30 can be hack, or at least that is what CIOSCORP is based on, by including dip7 into the ios30. it has been a rather recent development mainly because it was deemed too important and dangerous to modify previously, until of course WiiPower and IronMask proved it was safe enough for the time being to be a viable option. of course, if this is corrupted or broken by any bad hacks, there'll be a sysmenu brick, so not very advisable to mess around with it unless you are very confident of the outcome.

correct me if i'm wrong, but this is to the best of my knowledge... hope it answers your questions
smile.gif

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I corrupted my system menu when i installed this initially - i had preloader set to boot off the HBC - but any time i selected the wii menu it came up with ' your system files are corrupt - please consult your manual " in white writing on a black screen.

I posted here and IronMask and Skarface both sent me links to a new WiiSyetem3.2e.wad installer - once i got that i went into the wad manager in homebrew and installed and everything was back to normal.

I think as long as pre-loader is on your system your safe from update issues as you can always revert to 3.2 using the wad from homebrew if required. If nintendo can find a way around preloader it makes things more difficult, but i dont see them upgrading to a firmware that both stops preloader and bricks your wii - its too much trouble for them with the wii's that will be returned.

xoinx

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
djtaz said:
I corrupted my system menu when i installed this initially - i had preloader set to boot off the HBC - but any time i selected the wii menu it came up with ' your system files are corrupt - please consult your manual " in white writing on a black screen.

I posted here and IronMask and Skarface both sent me links to a new WiiSyetem3.2e.wad installer - once i got that i went into the wad manager in homebrew and installed and everything was back to normal.

I think as long as pre-loader is on your system your safe from update issues as you can always revert to 3.2 using the wad from homebrew if required. If nintendo can find a way around preloader it makes things more difficult, but i dont see them upgrading to a firmware that both stops preloader and bricks your wii - its too much trouble for them with the wii's that will be returned.
i still think it's too dangerous... i mean sure nintendo probably expects a ios249, but a cios replacing every ios? that may not be what they expect at all... and so we can't be sure future updates won't cause problems, to any, or even all ios. i mean the more ios we modify, the greater the risk we are exposed to. i'm not sure on which ios preloader loads .dol, but if that ios gets corrupted on a system update, preloader won't be able to work isn't it?

Kroam17

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Nice one, thanks a lot! I'm still missing an IOS to be able to play MegaMan 9 (never had 3.3 or 3.4). It's still risky, so I'll wait until this is finished and install the entire batch at once.

Jizmo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FRanatic said:
Nintendo is as of now expecting all ios' patched. I know for sure they read upon these forums
wink.gif

I was gonna say the same thing. Nintendo knows that people hack and they know the forums that the hackers discuss it in. As long as they can't manufacture them as quick as they can sell them I don't think they're too uptight about it. After all, it's a very small percentage of Nintendo owners that troll these forums. I know a lot of people with Wiis and none of them would understand what is being talked about here or ever want/attempt to modigy their Wii. They must however continue to patch the Wii against piracy as an obligation to the game publishers. I have to give Nintendo credit on one thing. They got it right with peripherals. Even though technoligically the Wii is a dinosaur they still made it fun.

I've had and been hacing PCs for 30 years. In all that time I've probably bought 5 PC games. I had an xbox for 3 years that i haxord and never bought a game for it.
I've had my Wii for just over 1 year and I have bought 8 original games. I even bought GHWT after I had the backup of it that worked perfectly becaue I liked the game so much. (I lied, i bought it because I wanted the new Guitar!). I've bought a balance board and just about every usefull peripheral that exists. Along with the Wii nintendo has gotten plenty of my money. As far as the backup games go, I have 180 backups now and there are less than half a dozen that i have any disire to play. There has been so much crapware that I don't even download hardly any of the games anymore. Waste of bandwidth and blank DVD for most of them.

Whow, i strayed way off from my own topic! hehe

FRanatic

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Jizmo said:
FRanatic said:
Nintendo is as of now expecting all ios' patched. I know for sure they read upon these forums
wink.gif

I was gonna say the same thing. Nintendo knows that people hack and they know the forums that the hackers discuss it in.

...snipped...

Whow, i strayed way off from my own topic! hehe

You sure did !!
LOL
wink.gif

But seriously, forgot ot mention this earlier. Thanks for the comprehensive explanation.
I concluded I was pretty much up to par, but still has some eye openers aswell

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/5zE3H65IDtM?si=cIVsTaWar9HofeR7 +1